Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_t_australia

Joining this forum - HELP?

kerry_t_australia
15 years ago

Hi all.

Obviously I have already joined, but one of my brom friends has recently tried and tried, to no avail. She knows about the 5-digit postcode, and gets as far as waiting for an email to confirm membership - but that email never eventuates.

I am hoping someone who has joined recently might know how to overcome this problem - or had similar. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Kerry

Comments (23)

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Kerry,

It may be her internet/e-mail providers spam protection, your friend could try setting up an account using a hotmail or yahoo type e-mail account.

Cheers,

Rick

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Rick. I forgot to say she does have a hotmail email addy - and checks her junk mail.
    What now?

K

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Kerry,

I don't know, garden forum seems to be working OK - I just re-registered with another e-mail account and the confirmation e-mail came through in seconds, I put a zero in front of my postcode and picked a US state.

Rick

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreciate you trying to help, Rick - thanks! I'll pass this info onto my friend.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

kerry how many times has she tried to join now?
    Also if only once she might have mispelled her email address.
    How long ago did she sign up, sometimes it takes several days before it arives i have had emails that have taken up to 1 week to arrives and others wich i have continuly sent my self from school and i am still waiting for them to arrive.

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Phil.
    I tried joining up for her from my computer, but her email address was already on file with GW, so I couldn't go any further.
    Fran - try logging on - it might have worked after all...

K

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Kerry - Is there any way someone already on the forum can contact the folk who supervise the forum operation and tell them of the problem and hopefully get a solution? Just a thought. All the best, Nev.

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

yes kerry i agrea with nev try the contact us at the bottom of the page that should get you to someone in ip section

Phil

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Nev and Phil. Good idea. I just sent a "please help message" to their technical staff via the "contact us" link at bottom of page.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi everybody,i finally made it thanks to all of you who replied to this post. Kerry thanks for going to all that trouble.Where would I be without you.
    I must tell you all how much i have enjoyed logging on to this site.I have learned a lot and the photos are some of the best i've seen.I am especially impressed with how you all encourage each other and take a genuine interest in one anothers pursuits.
    Cheers Fran

• unexplained50
    15 years ago

I had trouble as well, emailed them several times for help but never received any replies.

Solution: I created a hotmail email account, signed up again and gave the hotmail email address, then when it asked for a postcode I gave mine with the last digit repeated ie 45677.
    Bingo, I'm in.

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay! You're very welcome Fran, and WELCOME to the brom forum to you and "unexplained50".

I must say that the technical officer (Tamara) was very fast with her response and help.

Cheers,
    Kerry :)

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

Kerry what did she say that the problem was as i am interested in what was causing all the hassale
    Phil

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

G'day Fran..welcome to GW...it's a great place to look, drool, gasp, listen, learn, ask and speak. I mostly do a lot of lurking...these folks are way to smart for me!

Shane

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi Shane
    My sentiments exactly.The more I read the more I learn.Maybe we will be as smart one day.Well nearly!!
    Thankyou for your welcome it is nice to be here.
    Cheers Fran

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi frangipani_56 and unexplained50 - Welcome to the forum, I'm sure like me you'll enjoy your time here and learn heaps from all the friendly members.

Do either of you happen to come from the south east coast of N.S.W.? (I'm looking for some more local brom pals).

Like Phil I'd be interested to hear what the problem was with joining the site.

Allthe best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nev and Phil,
    For some unknown reason, when Fran tried to join, all was well until it came to the confirmation email - it just never came. I see Fran's membership is registered as joining November 18th, when she first tried. However, she could not log on without that confirmation.
    When I tried to join for her on my computer, it said Fran's email addy was already registered - so I couldn't complete the application.
    Then, at your suggestion, I used the "contact us" link at bottom of page, stating the problem and asking for help. Within one day I received a message from Tamara, the GardenWeb community manager, asking for Fran's username and email addy. After replying to that message, I quickly got another message from the webmaster@gardenweb - copied and pasted below.

Kerry,
    I've manually activated her membership. She should be all set to login and post.
    Let me know if there are any problems.
    Best regards,
    Tamara

...and all was well! I'm not sure if Fran received a message as well after that, but I forwarded her the above correspondence, including previous messages.
    So, I don't really know WHY the membership application did not work initially - but I was most impressed with GardenWeb's friendly and prompt actions to fix it.
    AND thank you to those Aussies who cared :)

Cheers,
    Kerry

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

hey nev were on the south east coast are you i am on the mid north coast
    Phil

oh woops nearly forgot thanks kerry for letting us know of what happen.

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi Nev,
    Sorry,I am from Toowoomba in Southeast Queensland.Thankyou for your welcome.It certainly is nice to be able to talk back.I tried to get on this site about 8 mths ago.The postcode thing got me that time.
    Cheers Fran

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry - Thanks for the response. It's good to know you can still present a problem to someone and have it dealt with in a quick professional manner and it's also good to know that there are still people around like you who will take the trouble to help their friends.

Phil and Fran - I live in Shellharbour which is in N.S.W. on the Illawarra coast about twenty minutes south of Wollongong so I guess I still can't pop around to your places for a look and a chat about our broms, oh well, I guess sooner or later I'll find someone closer to home.

All the best, Nev.

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Hi!

frangipani_56 and unexplained50, welcome to the forum!
    I had to select a state which I chose 'SC' and put in 5 of the 6 digits of my Singapore postal code during registration.

Lyndi
    Singapore

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

It seems crazy that a forum like this should attempt to limit participation to US members, but I guess it has something to do with their licensing agreement. Obviously they're not checking to see if the postal codes and states coincide, but if anyone wants to borrow my state (HI) and zip code (96795), go right ahead!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa - On behalf of future prospective new members outside the US, thanks for a great idea - It will certainly help new members in the future to avoid the hassles we in Aus. and other people outside the US have had in the past.

All the best, Nev.