Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blutarski_gw

watering my first tillandsia

blutarski
15 years ago

I just bought a tillandsia that I'll be bringing into work. It's hot and dry in my office, but there is pretty good air circulation.

I've read that, in dry locations, I should soak the plant in water for up to two hours. Does this sound like good advice?

Regarding sunlight, I'm planning to put it in a place where it can get direct winter sunlight, then move it to an indirectly lit location when April rolls around. Is this okay?

thank you for your assistance.

Comments (11)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

What tillandsia is it would help answer your question or a photo

• blutarski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, the labeling at the greenhouse that I got it from was unreliable (as in, all the plants were piled on top of each other, some had tags, some tags were on the floor...)

It most resembles a chiapensis, however.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

If its silver/grey leaf it will prefer less water. The green ones prefer more misting.

• blutarski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's silver when dry, green when wet.

can you be a bit more specific as to what the watering requirements are?

• User
    15 years ago

All gray-leafed tills will show their true green colors after a good soaking. Unfortunately this is not always good news, it can mean that too much water has been applied. I am not a proponent of keeping tills indoors no matter what the conditions are. The required air circulation does not apply to forced air heating, AC, or other artificial means. If kept indoors, a light misting every few days with a 12-24 hour soaking (complete immersion) every 3-4 months might extend the plant's life beyond what should be expected. The whiter the plant's leaves are > more light, and vice versa.

• blutarski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.

I'm sure I can put it outside in the summer months.

• User
    15 years ago

Even taking it for a walk outside on weekends will do wonders for it's disposition.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

The wont live indoors long with cooking oils , smoke or any other pollutants in the air.....unless you live in an area where its frozen for months...dont try growing indoors as a novice

• blutarski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

very few pollutants in it's current home- my office. The temps are now running in the upper thirties in the day time to the twenties at night and it's wet wet wet.

In Jan and Feb we could see much colder weather (south central pa.)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

I grow mine indoors and they do just fine. West window with a weekly good spraying. I also feed them now and then.

• unexplained50
    15 years ago

Good luck with growing indoors.
    You could either spray it a couple of times a week or immerse for a couple of hours once a week.
    If you want to fertilize it, use a LOW nitrogen soluble fertilizer and either soak or spray. I usually use a "Bloom Boosting" fertilizer at one quarter the recommended strength, about every two months.
    Who knows it may be a great success. Regards,Gary.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio