Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crittergirl_gw

New at this and sooo clueless.

crittergirl
15 years ago

I had no idea how clueless.

I went to Home Depot a few days ago and they had some pretty bromeliads, so I picked up two of them.

{{gwi:524967}}

{{gwi:524970}}

I repotted them in orchid soil and put moss on the top to help maintain moisture in my very dry house, and I'm misting the leaves. But I don't know what kind of bromeliads these are, or for that matter, anything else about them or how to take care of them. Just from glancing through this forum, I can tell the incredible depth of my ignorance with this species. So where do I start learning? Any advice or links? And are my plants really at the end of their life cycle? (That part is very confusing to me.)

Comments (7)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

This site is a good place to start
    http://www.fcbs.org/

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

And yes they are at the end of there cycle but looks like new pups forming. Deroose Plants sells thousands of these at box stores every year. Could be Vriesea or Guzvriesea

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi crittergirl - Welcome to the group. You are now in the best place to learn.

Since I started growing broms a few years back, like many new growers, I read every book I could get my hands on and then joined a bromeliad society.

I found the society a very good place to learn, but as we only meet once a month, the chance to ask questions is limited.

I have been a member of this forum for just a short time and I have learnt more here than from all the books I've read or my local society.

All you need to do is ask the question and it is always answered; and in language you can understand. Usually you will get more than one view; and because the members of this forum come from all over the world, you are getting views from growers in different climates as well.

The people on this forum have a combined wealth of knowledge second to none and I have found they are more then happy to share this knowledge with anyone who asks.

I know this sounds like a big "suck up" but I really do appreciate all the help these people have given me and I'm sure you will find it the same - The knowledge is here, all you need to do is ask the questions.

Good growing and all the best, Nev.

• crittergirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the welcome, Nev, and thank you for the link, hotdiggetydam. That site is answering many of my questions.

Guzvriesea, after reading about pups, I actually had to look at the pictures I took to see that one of the plants is definitely producing one. I'll have to remove it and pot it this weekend. Hopefully more will be forthcoming.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Welcome to the forum, crittergirl!

I think your brom in the second photo might be Tillandsia lindenii. The old purple flowers suggest it is a tillandsia. Others might confirm, or disagree?
    If it is, she likes to be kept constantly moist, and grown in a shady position. The same goes for the brom in the first pic - which looks like a vriesea. Is that paddle-shaped flower spike quite flat side-on? It's hard to tell from your photo. She just needs to have fresh water in the leaves' centre vase, and a bit of slow-release fertiliser around her base, at half the recommended rate - this will encourage pups.

When you remove the pup, try to get a bit of "mum's" hard root area as well. Either cut down the middle of the mum and pup, getting as close to mum as you can, or gently pull the pup at its base away from its mum - whichever seems easier. If you get roots, all the better. Plant the pup with its base level to, or just below, the top of the potting mix, in a small pot (eg.4" wide). Wooden skewers or thin bamboo stakes, inserted either side of the leaves, and angled towards the middle, will help secure the pup until it can support itself. Small rocks at the base serve the same purpose.
    Usually, brom pups are ready to remove when at least one third the size of its mum. Once one or more pups are removed, this will shock mum into having more kids - so keep mum happy in her original pot, give her a light feed, a few kind words, and a drink now and then.

Good luck with your first separation!

Any questions, or problems, just ask. As Nev said, someone will help you.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• allan_ladd
    15 years ago

Hi crittergirl, Kerry and all,
    Just thought I might venture into this for a minute? crittergirl looks like you are in the winter in the US?
    I assume that your plants are growing indoors? If so how much light are they getting? hopefully at least 4 hours direct sun thought a window each day? and those plants like a minimum temperature 50 oF for healthy growth, assuming like Kerry mentioned, you are providing moisture either in the form of a spray mist from spray bottle several times during the day or putting water in the center well of plant regularly.
    Personally I would not divide pups off the mother plant till the summer arrives (then grow them out doors in a shade area) as it is hard to create good growing conditions indoors, during winter even if you are a pro at growing broms.
    The amount of growth broms like your plants, put on in winter indoors is minimal, so would suggest to go very sparing on feeding. I live in a climate with zone 9 temperatures which means your plants grow outdoors here all year round and they are easy to grow here. Good luck with your plants allan

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

Hi Crittergirl,
    There's lots of good advice in the previous posts. It looks to me like your first photo is a Vriesea hybrid, and the second is probably Tillandsia cyanea. Yes, it looks like both plants are done with flowering, but that's not the end of the "life" cycle! With good care, both will produce pups and bloom again in a couple of years. I wouldn't be in a hurry to take off pups. It will likely be late spring before you have pups that are large enough to take off of the Vriesea. I personally like the look of the T. cyanea when it grows as a clump. You could just cut off the flower spike when it starts to turn brown and let the new pups take over.
    I don't know if there are any local bromeliad societies in Missouri, but any local, established growers can be a wonderful resource for learning about broms. I know that there is a very active grower by the name of Dave Christiano who lives in the Springfield area. We met at a couple of the bromeliad conferences and have traded seeds and plants by mail. Dave is a knowlegeable and enthusiastic grower who has a fine collection of bromeliads.
    Good luck with your new plants!
    Paul