Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

Wanted- Wupperstolz- a lovely double variegate

kasha77
12 years ago

If anyone has an extra of Wupperstolz- a lovely double variegate, please email me. I have several desirable doubles and others that I'd like to trade for. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• arghyagardengirl
    12 years ago

I've heard that Wupperstolz is difficult to grow from cuttings...if you can find it.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Liz-
    So it is difficult to locate? Does anyone know where I can find it? Thanks Liz! I've found a great way to start difficult brugs using the "egg" method and gritty mix like we use in rooting Plumeria.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

What is the 'egg' method?

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's really cool and it works! I use the gritty mixture for rooting Plumeria-

1 part fir Bark for reptiles
    1 part Turface (or Napa Dri)
    1 part Granigrit or (Perlite)

I start with a clear water bottle, and cut slits in the bottom and cut the top off. I put 1 inch of the mixture into the bottle, then carefully slide a raw whole egg (in the shell) next. I add one more inch of mixture, then add the difficult cutting, and top it off with more mixture. If I think it needs it, I would tent it with a plastic baggie. You could also use a rooting hormone to hasten it. It works for any difficult cutting. It gives fast drainage, and if you're careful not to water too much, promotes faster root development. Voila!

• rmbill
    12 years ago

A whole egg in the shell? Really? I am not doubting you but that does sound weird. What is the egg supposed to do? Does the egg decompose? I assume you have to use an organic egg? :-) Where in the world did you hear about this? You say it really works, huh? I wonder how somebody ever came up with this and what would ever possess anyone to even try something like this? Wonders never cease.
    Bill

• figara
    12 years ago

Hey Bill, it's working. You put the whole egg with shell in the pot and the egg eventually will decompose. I guess the roots like rotten egg. :-)

For who ever wants to try this method a little warning !!!!....when you re pot make sure not to brake the shell. The smell is awful. It happened to me. Ha,ha,ha.

Pat

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry- I should have posted pics.
    {{gwi:435572}}

{{gwi:435573}}

{{gwi:435574}}

And, Yes, I am very careful not to break the egg! I've heard that when the cutting is fully rooted, the egg shell is empty, with no smell. I think it adds calcium and nitrogen and phosphorus to the soil.

• figara
    12 years ago

Kathy, I've heard people saying that the whole egg including the shell decomposed but not in my case. The inside was gone but the shell was intact and when I touch it, exploded. It was a lot of smelly gas inside. Maybe I was re potting them too soon.

Pat

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pat- this is my first time using this method, I will be VERY careful when my plants have rooted and don't need the egg anymore! Thanks for the heads up! :)

• rmbill
    12 years ago

I am going to try this with my Langerbuscher Garten cutting that I just got from a friend. It is supposed to be easy to root but I don't want to take any chances with it. It was hard to come by and I don't want to lose it.
    Bill

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill- it should work! I've never had success with Super Spot til using this. I now have roots using this method! Good luck!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Pat, the same thing happened to me when I did this to root plumeria cuttings, the egg exploded and the smell of rotten egg was awful. The Al's gritty mix is what is used to root plumeria cuttings. If you are interested in making it. The fir bark you get at a pet supply like Pet Mart, the turface you can get at John Deep Landscape, its what they use on baseball fields($12 for 50 lbs), In place of perlite since it is so expensive, you can use chicken grit( not pigon grit), you have to drive outside the big city, and go to a small farming town, and go to the feed store.($7 for 50lbs bag. It is used by farmers in the poultry industry. I cannot buy in San Antonio, I drive just outside to New Bruaufels. This is used just to root cuttings, so they do not rot. I have never tried it on brugmansia, I no longer use the raw egg method, I guess its just too hot down here, for it to work. I just got rotten eggs. Barbra

• collielover
    12 years ago

I just got this brug from the Uk I have wanted it for EVER! its still small but if I can get it to grow I will share. I got it on ebay from petertopping. Cindy :)

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Collielover- that is so sweet of you- let's keep in touch- I have many great doubles that I'd be happy to trade with you. I'll go check out that ebay seller, maybe they have another!
    Thanks!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I wasn't able to find petertopping on Ebay - will you post a link to his store, please? Thanks!

• rmbill
    11 years ago

Kay, I go to the very end of the Brug listings, on Ebay, and he is one of the listings where it says other places where you might find Brugs. It is in the Ebay UK listings. The prices are a little steep but he has some Brugs that are hard to get here in the USA. Most of the UK Brug people aren't willing to go to the expense and red tape to ship to us.
    Bill

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Bill, here's the link to the end of the Brug. seller's list - don't see what you're referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=brugmansia&_pgn=4&_skc=150&rt=nc

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay + Brugs.

• rmbill
    11 years ago

Kay, Peter Topping sells on Ebay listed under international sellers on the page that you linked. He doesn't have anything listed now. Keep checking. He has some very nice Brugs but, with shipping, it will cost you around 35-50 dollars. Well worth it for Brugs that we can't get, here, any other way. Probably less , each, with combined shipping.
    Bill

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bill. I wouldn't order - was just curious.