Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: How much do you charge for 'for postage' cuttings ?

Posted by smokymist 7 East TN (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 08 at 0:08

I just wondered what some of you use as a guide when sending brugmansia cuttings for postage? I just had somebody tell me they were charged $11.00 for two cuttings, but I've sent many cuttings before for $6.00 or less. Priority mail boxes are free, delivery confirmation is free. For $6.00 I easily sent out 6-7 mature cuttings. NOT saying I'm doing that now LOL...but I am thinking of a future freebie offer ( please dont' post that you want in on it now, I'm not ready yet.)
So i'm just curious what you would charge somebody postage for sending cuttings ? What is the average ?
I think charging too much, is the same as selling, and that is not allowed on Gardenweb.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: How much do you charge for 'for postage' cuttings ?

I really don't have brugs to take cuttings of, but with any other plant trade/SASE I do, I never ask for more than the amount of postage it cost me to mail out. I do most of the postage online which cost less and you get free confirmation. Seeds, I just send off at no charge as others do lots of times.

o

I totally agree eloise, otherwise it's selling.

o

I have got them few medium size ones (< 1 lb) you can wrap in bubble envelope and send in $2-$3.

o

• Posted by ednam z7VIRGINIA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 19:13

Here is the way you need to think about it, if you really want a certain brug, say 1 cutting, and they want $10 to ship, you have to decide is it worth it to you. If it's not, forget it and move on. Sometimes $10 for 1 is a deal, other times it's not !! Just depends on how bad you want it.

Smokymist, I did see the post in " list your wants part 2", and I agree with you. There was a person that complained about someone wanting $10 to ship 2 cuttings. Then they turned around and did basically the same thing. I think most of the forum readers missed that post.

I send either free or charge the exact postage. But that is just me. I will say this, unless you have sent out tons of cuttings, you can't imagine what a pain it is. I sent out 4-5 boxes on Monday, and it took me all day. I really liked the people I was sending to, so it was worth the effort on my part. If a total stranger is sending you cuttings, that is another story. They spend money on paper towels, baggies, go cut them, wrap them up, box them up, get the address correct, go to the post office, then pray that they get their postage back ... LOL

This is just my thoughts.

o

I received some brug cuttings last year in a bubble envy. They were wrapped with the damp paper towels and plastic on the ends and did well. It only cost a couple of dollars to send, can't remember how much. At this time of year it is not so hot and I send lots of cuttings this way. Just remember to wrap in newspaper or something to keep them away from the plastic bubbles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here