Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brugmansia dying, please help

Posted by lunchlady8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 21:26

I am new to posting to this forum, but I am in need of help! My angel trumpet started turning brown in the middle of the leaves and curling up. I have treated it with a fungus spray, thought then it might be spider mites so I have treated it with ferti-lome triple action treatment. I eventually stripped all the dying leaves and it is just the stalk now. The angel trumpet that is planted next to it is starting to show the same signs of deteration as the dying one; can anyone please help identify the problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I live in East Texas, weather is dry and extrememly hot.

[See the HortiPlex page for Brugmansia arborea]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brugmansia dying, please help

I'm definitely not an expert but it looks to me like sunburn.

Water, water, water and if you're able and your brugs are in containers/pots, move them to a spot where they'll get morning sun and afternoon shade.

We went from cool to hot in a day's time a few weeks ago and many of my burgs weren't ready for the fast change in heat and sun and many of the leaves, especially the outer ones, looked much like yours. But they're already recovering nicely.

Jenna

o

Thanks Jenna,I have started watering it more.I guess it didn't hurt that I sprayed it with the ferti-lome triple action.It is planted in the ground,I didn't know you could plant them in pots.They get so big.I have one in the back of my house that gets huge,and never had a problem with it.

Ann

o

I think Jenna is probably right! Ann, usually the best time to water is in the morning. If you have to water when the sun is all ready high in the sky, be careful not to let the water spray over the leaves. Instead try to direct the water to the base of the plants. I get lazy sometimes and just shoot the hose and right now I have 2 bananas that I sprayed and ended up with scald marks. (the water droplets that remain on the leaf act as a magnifying glass for the sun!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here