Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my daturas

Posted by Valentina Z5 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 05 at 22:11

Hi,
I am new to daturas and brugmansias. These are my first ones and, I have to say, I have a new addiction :))
And I find you guys responsible for it :)
Because I am also a new gardener (I planted my first plant two years ago, so this would be my second season), I am especially proud of my daturas because I was able to grow such beauties :))

This one is growing with Morning Glory which was supposed to be white.
click here

click here

This one is growing so big! What you see in this picture is actually only half of it. The other half I lost in a storm.
It took over the bench already.
click here

click here

Valentina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my daturas

You have incorporated your Datura nicely into your garden, that last one looks like it has been on steroids LOL.
Lovely images.

o

Beautiful Datura's ! They all look like they are on steroids, very lush happy looking plants. Georgia

o

Thank you :)

They are on steroids! Whatever is in the compost :))

Valentina

o

Wow I love your huge Datura inoxia, so many blooms. I can't wait for the day that I have a yard to garden in, there will be Daturas all over the place.

o

Thank you Mike, I love them too. They are such rewarding plants! They look good, they grow fast, they don't get sick, they are fragrant... just amazing plants. And as a bonus for me, in this area, where we don't get so hot in the summer, the flowers stay open a good portion of the day. Now, since the temperature changed and we have cloudy days they are practically open all the time. They are not fragrant during the day, but that's OK.
I just love them.

Oh! And BTW, people stop their cars in front of my yard to admire these plants. They even come to my door to ask me what are they. It is really nice considering that I am a totally new gardener.

Valentina

o

Wow, VERY good, Valentina. Breath-taking!

o

Holy Moley!!!! Thats one big dat in the last frame! It really dwarfs mine which I felt were healthy. What color does it bloom. Boy, if the dat got that big what would a brug do in your compost.
That's impressive.

o

Thank you Bonbon_N.

mantorvillain, my daturas are not that big. At least I don't think they are. What would be a good size for a purple datura?
The one in that picture is not even my biggest one :)
This one is about 5' tall, with one branch over 5'.
Blackcurrant Swirl datura
Blackcurrant Swirl datura

I guess the pictures are not the best. It is almost dark outside, so the light is not very good. Also, it is hard to see the trunk, so you can see the real size, because there are plants growing around it.

Valentina

o

My double yellow and purple daturas were huge last year,
but I have trouble with the white one. It just doesn't grow and bloom like the other 2. Mine was about 6 ft.
tall (except the white one)and almost that big around last year before Ivan hit us. This year they are all smaller since we had several disturbances during the summer..

o

NonaCook, my white daturas don't grow very tall. They tend to spread a lot.

Valentina

o

That is so neat looking! I'm jealous of your white ones (I'm growing those next year, though). : ) You've done so well with placing them. : )

o

Thank you LaurelLily :)
I love them too.
They are very easy plants. Sprout fast, grow fast, don't need a lot of special attention... just cutting the spent flowers every day, that's it.
If you need seeds... just ask :)

Valentina

o

Your daturas are amazing and very lovely, the last picture looks like a giant, the size of a small tree. I would love to start some of them in my garden.

o

ZSA_ZSA, thank you :)
If you give me your address I will send you seeds. I have white-single and double-purple. The last one was purple.

Valentina

o

WOW! They look great! How large did they grow in the 1st season? Do you fertilize heavy?

o

rsieminski, I am sorry, I didn't see your message until now...
Thank you.
These are annuals. I started them from seed inside, put them out in May I think, and these pictures were taken in Summer.
I didn't fertilize them more than I fertilize any other plant.

Valentina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here