Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm hooked - My first Brug is in Bloom

Posted by tcmers Zone 5_ Indiana (tcmers@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 21:04

I got my first Brug (Dr. Suess) as a cutting in the Fall of '05....I'm Hooked. It has about twice as many blooms on it now as it did in this photo from last week. Not only is it beautiful but smells absolutely wonderful too! I want to get at least one or two more varieties, but I won't be able to get more than that because I'm in Zone 5 and they'll have to come in for the Winter. Hubby already wants to shoot me by spring with all the plants I either bring in or start! LOL! Anyway, I hope this photo link works. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Suess

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm hooked - My first Brug is in Bloom

ROFL tcmers, in Zone 5, where there's will, there's a way.
I started with 3 10 years ago and ended up building a 10' x 10' shed and heating it all winter to store my Brug collection. I am usually holding 40+ over the winter each year!

o

LOL! I'm going to try my hand at a few cuttings for friends shortly....Maybe I'll keep one for myself. :)

o

Temers, it only takes one good flush to get you hooked! I started with one peach versicolor 4 years ago, now I have 5 plants. I'm in zone 5a and last year, with 3 plants, I let them go dormant for the winter. It saved on space, and also fighting the spider mites that plague my brugs in the winter. Unlike Ruth Ann, I don't have a good place for a greenhouse, or I'd have one by now! And more plants!

o

Tell me more about letting them go dormant for the winter....What do you do? Any prep? Where do you store them?

o

First cut them back, but not below their first Y, otherwise you have to wait for it to Y again to produce flowers. Then put the pot (with plant) in a dark place, I have a basement hallway well away from any sunlight although it's not pitch dark or anything, and stop watering. One by one any remaining leaves will fall off. Let the soil go dry, then water about once a month with just a cup or so of water right at the base of the trunk, to keep the roots from completely dying. I suspect many of the peripheral roots just dry up and die, but at least the ones closest to the trunk are kept alive. By March or April my plants started showing signs of wanting to come to life - putting out pale green leaves - so I took them out of their corner and placed by a window, started watering, and voila! I think it took about 2 months for them to flower after coming out of dormancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here