Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this clipping have any hope of survival?

Posted by gr8heather 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 1:03

I got this single clipping (frosty pink?) in the mail months ago, in a regular white envelope with no protection. It was smashed on 2 sides. As my first attempt at rooting a Brug, I put it in water for awhile, and it did grow roots, probably about a third of an inch long, and several of them. Then I noticed that it had split open on one side, and that worried me, so I put it in a tiny pot of dirt and put it under my domed grow light. Bad idea. It's few tiny leafs started looking really bad, so I took it out of the dirt, and almost all of the roots had shriveled and died. 2 of the tiny leafs fell off. I dipped it in rooting hormone (the white stuff in the pics) and put it back into water, under lights (no dome this time). I think I've probably killed it, does it have any chance? I potted a fresh clipping off of my personal orange plant at the same time under the domed light, and it seems to be doing great, it even has a root.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this clipping have any hope of survival?

It's pretty iffy but you might save it by cutting it off about an inch each side of the leaves and planting it horizontaly, mostly buried except for the growth. Let it dry out for a day where you cut it off. Moisten the potting soil and put it in a ziplock bag until it starts to grow. Keep it out of direct sun.
Good luck.
Bill

o
RE: Does this clipping have any hope of survival?

Done. Hope it works, it seems doubtful though, the ring inside the skin was just slightly brown. Not as green as a nice new cutting. Oh well, I will hope for the best. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here