Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Datmansia

Posted by gatsou z8 Fr (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 7:07

Hello,

I had bought few years ago seeds of a 'Datmansia' on Ebay.Plants obtained were very similar to a large Datura meteloides and I was unable to find specificity of this intergeneric crossing.
Does anyone has grow a true 'Datmansia' plant?

Thanks.

gatsou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Datmansia

I trialed them for the lady in Washington state who hybridized them. I don't know if she will see this or not, and I cannot answer your question. I can tell you that mine are still growing here in North Texas. They come back each Spring from the roots as well as reseed if I am not diligent about removing the seed pods.

o

Thank you Carie for your reply.

If I well understand your Datmansia are frost hardy.Are flowers look like a large white trumpet like Datura meteloides?
Alls parts of my plants were similar to D. meteloides without any special characters from the Brugmansia parent.

So, for me ,seeds i received were fake.
Unlike you, I've harvested lot of seeds.And if somes gardeners want some,please ask me.

Gatsou

o

I know the person that made this hybrid and I don't believe they are intentionally "fake". They either don't express any of the brug genes or maybe had unknowingly been pollinated by another datura. I also have no idea if the person who made this cross ever sold any on Ebay. It's possible that the seeds were from someone else. I grew several generations of plants from the original seeds and mine have always looked like a typical datura, foliage and flowers. The member that made the cross is "karmahappytoes" and she used to post here often but none of us "old timers" post here much anymore, if at all.

o

Yes, karma said she used tissue culture plants for her hybridization and that she sold only once on ebay to someone in Canada and someone in California. They are not fake plants, and they do bloom out just like the common datura, but the blooms last longer than those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here