Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eloise_ca

OT Bees!

eloise_ca
14 years ago

I saw a bunch of bees by the eve (sp) of the roof and heard buzzing sound on an outside wall! I believe they have nested inside the wall, rats! I've been researching this and came up with two companies: one will relocate the bees and the other destroy. Of course, I prefer to have them relocated, but it will all depend on the costs of removal, cleanup and fixing the wall. Anyone else had this problem before?

Comments (13)

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Check around for bee keepers. If they can get to them sometimes they will remove them free and keep the bees.
    My daughter had some in the wall of the house she was renting. Sure is a scary sound. They would have had to remove the whole outside wall to remove them.
    Good luck.
    Dorothy

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

OH rats is right :-( I thought I get to read a GOOD message about the birds and the bees.

Good luck

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Eloise, I don't know if these people can help, but they are very versatile. They suggest companies for your special needs. Check out www.servicemagic.com

Ingrid

• chena
    14 years ago

OH No!! That sounds serious...You be careful!!!!

Kylie

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dorothy. You know how it goes; you always see advertisements about something you aren't looking for until you need them. The only thought I have about that would be that then I have to call a different company to come do the repairs afterward. Also, someone just collecting the bees wouldn't do because they also need to know how to clean up the walls. I just know they will have to open up the wall on the outside to get to the comb.

LOL Lucy, birds and the bees!

Thanks Ingrid, I checked that website and there is nothing. Also, FYI, I once called such a service to fix my ceiling and they did a lousy job. I refused to pay them until they fixed it correctly and even then, it wasn't right. I gave the service co. negative input on that company they recommended.

• haase
    14 years ago

Just came back from Canasta, and a friend of mine there suggested to call the Animal Control.
    Of course that would always leave the cleanup/repairs to be done by somebody else.
    How about asking at your City's management, or even the police department? Not for them to do it, but to tell you whom to contact.
    Eloise, it is poaring buckets here, literally (because I have buckets on my patio to catch the water.) I have a "river" roaring down the sidewalk by my front door. Never seen anything like it. How is it at your end?
    Ingrid

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kylie, guess we were posting at the same time so thank you too.

Apparently the city no longer takes care of these types of problems, but I'll keep searching, and will try to contact them tomorrow. There is a bee site here on GW where I got some info.

Ingrid, it was raining so hard here for so long that I had to get the push-broom to push out the water that was accumulating right outside my backdoor because it starting coming into the laundry room! The water was also rising too close to the french doors in the family room. My house sits on a flat slab. Just a couple of days ago, I read on the California site where they recommended checking outside drains. I should have done that! The rain stopped for now, but I hear it will start up again and go on through the night. I love rain, just not in my house, lol!

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

We had yellow jackets in the walls. I found the hole where they were going in & caulked it shut at night. Man that wall hummed! You could hear if from a couple feet away. I was worried they would somehow find their way into the house (!!!) but they didn't.

If yours are honeybees, someone would be glad to have them. Try advertising them on freecycle.org.

Linda

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I was thinking along the same lines as Linda. It depends on what kind of bees you have in there. If they are honey bees I'm sure that someone with an apiary would get them. If it's a wasp of some sort KILL them!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee keepers in So. CA

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are honeybees, not wasps. I have no clue between regular honeybees and the Africanized ones. I get the yellow jackets that hang their combs on the eaves, but I knock those off before they get too big. Since it is obvious that they are in the wall already, I am hoping their comb is by this one wall (heard humming around there) that would be easy to break open and repair.

Thanks Karyn for the website. I copied the info and will try to make some calls today depending if I have time. I am going to my DD's and since she is still in pain and in bed, will be busy there.

• chena
    14 years ago

Elosie I sure hope your DD is better soon. Let her know we are thinking about her!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I didn't know that your dd was ill/injured? I hope she's doing better.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kylie, she is feeling better. They went to her doctor who gave here anti-inflammatory pills, and she might be able to return to work on Thurs. The first doc in ER just gave her pain pills and said she could return to work today!

Karyn, I had posted on one of Lucy's post that last Friday my dd was in a car accident. A lady came from a side street and my dd had no time to stop. BTW, my dd was not at fault. She had a lot of neck, back, chest and stomach pain. Her doc said some of that pain was from the safety belt. Thank God it wasn't more serious.