Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Not coming home!

karyn1
12 years ago

At least I wish that I didn't have to. This is such a beautiful island. Sitting on the deck, watching the water, waiting for everyone else to wake up. Seriously considering coming back and doing volunteer work with the Blue Iguana rescue. I could come with Kyle and enroll him in school for a few months. Bruce and I discussed it. Just not sure that I can afford to live here for any length of time. It's a terribly expensive area, more so then anywhere else I've traveled. It's so different then any of the other Caribbean islands, no slums outside of the resort areas. The standard of living is very high here and the shopping is to die for!

Looks like the family is starting to get their sleepy butts out of bed. Going to the beach : )

Comments (12)

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Great,happy for you,snow and 7*F here. BUT.... where are you ??

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Karyn-
    What an awesome place to be! That would be a dream come true- especially for Kylie, I can imagine it would be an experience he's never forget! Thanks for posting- it takes me away- for a little bit!
    Enjoy the rest of your time there! (guess I don't have to say that:)

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Sounds heavenly, Karyn! Some excuse -- working with iguanas -- just to stay in paradise :-)

• chena
    12 years ago

Come on Karyn!! If your going to rub our noses in it you could at least post some pic's..LOL

Kylie

Glad you are having a wonderful time!!!!!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll post pics when I get home. I didn't bring a USB cable to connect the camera. Rudy I'm on Grand Cayman Island. No brugs but there's giant purple Datura metel bushes. There's several around the resort. They're about 6' tall and twice that wide around. There's loads of beautiful plants and I've been collecting seeds but have to figure out a way to get them home. I'm not going to put them in my suitcase but will probably try and mail them. Not sure how much trouble I could get in. This island is more tropical then I thought. I thought it was going to be arid, like Aruba, but it's quite lush. It doesn't have a rainforest like Belize or Puerto Rico but there's loads of plant life and lots of butterflies and birds.

• figara
    12 years ago

Karyn, I am glad that you enjoy your vacation.

'Post picture when you are coming home'!!!!!? I thought you are staying there :-)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're home. I wish I could turn around and go back but at least it wasn't freezing cold when we got home. Temps are in the 60's here.

I collected loads of seeds and figured that I'd just Fed Ex them home but when I found out that the least expensive fed Ex box was $69 I nixed that idea. I ended up just wrapping the seeds in little foil packets (about 40 packets) and packing them in my suitcase along with some equally illegal Cuban cigar boxes. I was sure that they'd be confiscated and figured I'd just play stupid but to my surprise everything made it home just fine. That's not saying a whole lot for customs in Miami and Baltimore. lol The entire time on the plane I was thinking what I was going to say when they pulled me aside at customs and asked me about the illegal items. With all the scanners that my luggage went thru I can't believe that the items weren't seized.

Grand Cayman is a beautiful island and we had a wonderful time. The reef is gorgeous and loaded with colorful fish. This was Kyle's first time snorkeling and he had a blast. If you swam out a short distance to the reef at the beach where we were staying the snorkeling was great there as well. We got to swim with and feed stingrays. We had a really nice relaxing time. Here's a few pics.
    The beach we stayed at.
    {{gwi:444393}}
    In town
    {{gwi:444395}}
    On the boat to go snorkeling
    {{gwi:444396}}
    Crystal blue water
    {{gwi:444398}}
    stingrays
    {{gwi:444400}}
    blue iguana a native endangered species
    {{gwi:444402}}

green iguanas all over the place. They have become a pest but they are cute.

{{gwi:444404}}
    snorkeling
    {{gwi:444406}}
    view from bedroom deck
    {{gwi:444409}}
    beach bar - we spent a lot of time here. lol
    {{gwi:444412}}

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Wow, I can see why you didn't want to go home! Beautiful sight, including your kids!

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Karyn-
    Thanks so much for the pics - absolutely stunning! I've never seen water like that! I can only imaging what the weather felt like! You have a beautiful family as well! Wow- wrapping your little seed packs in tin foil makes them even LOOK illegal!!! LOL! Glad you made it through customs just fine! The seeds you gave me are germinating and I'm have a blast with them. Thanks again Karyn! Our winter has be very mild this year- it's in the 60's and a little rainy. My palm tree didn't even suffer! I hope this continues til spring! Welcome home! :)

• chena
    12 years ago

WOW!!!! Awesome pic's Karyn.. And no travel nightmares..LOL Glad you had a great time.. No wonder you wanted to stay..0_0 It is Beautiful!!!

Kylie

• figara
    12 years ago

Wow! Karen, looks like a piece of haven! Now, I understand why you did not want to come back. Your kids are so handsome. Great family.
    Glad you could sneak in the seeds and the cigars:-)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. My oldest even enjoyed himself and he hates traveling with us. lol He's at that age where it's only fun if you're with your friends. He even cracked a smile now and then. The kids were ready to get home to their friends. Me on the other hand could have stayed indefinitely. I used to enjoy finally getting home after a vacation but no more. I'd much rather be away then at home.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths