Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

OT: POTD: Do you plan on big changes in your garden this year?

givelittle_getlots
14 years ago

Good morning to all.

Raining here and I am SO ready to go out and cut back all the dead flowers from last year. I had enough of the DEAD look of winter lol

This year I am planning of laying a lot of walkways around the flowerbeds.

Have a garden with hardy Succulents etc.

{{gwi:444546}}From POTD January 2010

Wishing you that this day holds something sweet for you!

For me it is seeing Maddy again. Last time I had her was Christmas day.

Hugs

Lucy

Comments (24)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm not looking forward to going home to all the dead and bare plants. Everything is so green and colorful here.

I always plan all these great changes to the garden but rarely do any of them when I realize just how much work is involved. lol

Is Maddie coming by this weekend? Have a great time.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes I got her after school, till monday again :-) Thanks we will. I totally have the farming under control now. Thank goodness lol

That is what I love about going to Florida even in the summer...when everything is brown here...there it is GORGEOUS!

Lucy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Have fun with Maddy! I need to cut back on my farming too! But it's so hard! LOL
    Need to work in GH. Some damaged done when heater wasn't working. :(
    Not bad but I sure hated it.
    Have a great day everyone.
    Hugs
    Dorothy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Lucy, I was thinking the same thing, putting pathways thru the yard, I decided on crushed granite, but cannot find anyone in the Corpus Area, that sells it by the truck load, I think I will have to order it from Johnson City. Home Depot, sells it but it is almost $4 a bag. I also have templates on making stone walkways, I may end up doing that instead, and just putting the crushed granite between the cracks. I plan to do this after I retire on May 6th. I will also raise my flowerbeds, I have two layers of Windsor bricks around each flowerbed, but they have sunk over the years. I just finished raising one bed adding dirt, builders sand and crushed granite, to level. I plan on doing this to all my flowerbeds, it will take me over a year to complete this project, then I plan to put in the veg. garden. Barbra

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

I plan to pot even more of my hostas up in pots (scared of
    those voles)...and probably pot more brugs also. Adding
    compost to my additional raised beds to hold some of my
    winter sown hibiscus and other sedlings. So very many chores that just doesn't end (it's a good thing :) Today
    is so nice that I hope to scatter a ton of poppy seeds.
    Margaret

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

We are planning to remove at least 2 of the three trees in our yard to cut down the rodent (squirrel) traffic and mess. (pecan trees) and replacing them with smaller understory trees more suitable for our small shaded lot

I really want to work on my 'hard scaping' this year, we need a walk from the backdoor and possibly a berm to slow the erosion of topsoil a little.

Barbra I have looked at those walk molds for concrete, is that what you have? are they easy to use?

Have a wonderful day everyone!
    Frances

• haase
    14 years ago

Attention all, here comes MY BIG CHANGE in gardening (my patio hehehe):
    Instead of just one potted Brug, I will have seven potted Brugs. How's THAT for a lot of work??

Have fun with Maddy. I'm glad you have her with you again.

Ingrid.

• byrd4460
    14 years ago

Yes their are some major changes coming
    here this spring. I am cranking up the
    chainsaw in the morning and will be leveling
    all plants to ground level. Everything gets
    cut down except my viburnum hedges.

I am going all container gardening this year
    to allow me the liberty to place any plant at
    will at any location. All of the 12 feet Brugs
    will be cut down ground level anyway to give
    them a fresh start from the cold damage.

All of my Noid's Brug normally comes back very
    strong every year so they will maintain their
    spot in the yard. All of my Potted Brugs will
    get a new larger pot to have plenty of room
    to grow so now I am looking at sinking some
    potted Brugs to keep the Larger ones from
    Falling over.

Chocolate Brug

• lon2250
    14 years ago

Glad you get to see Maddy again. Three day weekend for us. Looking forward to it. If the weather stays warm we can get alot of yard work done. Dogs got to play in the yard for awhile yesterday, instead of going out freezing and rushing back in. I'll get to spend some quality time with two of my daughters. With school during the week they are always busy. Have lots of fun with Maddy.

Hugs
    Kim

Oh hey, ps. Has anyone else had dreams about hunting for words. LOL. I did. rofl

• knotz
    14 years ago

I'm going to tear up some flower beds and turn them into tropical areas, especially by the pond..Won't look very pretty in the winter, but its ok.

I'm going to focus more on brugs, bananas, palms, bops, stuff like that.

That's for the backyard...The front yard will be my perennial beds...Getting more echinaceas, verbascums and such.

Hope everything you all have planned works out great for you!!!

Wish me luck!!...lol

• chena
    14 years ago

Everything sounds Wonderful.. Plz take before and after pic's..My goal is to recoup the abandoned Veggie garden..It kinda went to way side a few yrs ago.. NOW it is time to reclaim it.. There won't be as many beds for Veggies I will use some for Fruit..This is a bit of an undertaking but she has good bones..LOL
    Good Luck Everyone!!

Kylie

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I got rid of the last of the grass in the front yard last year. This year I need to finish the square concrete steps through it all (movable so I can repeatedly change my mind). The best part is if I plant close enough, no weeds!

Big veggie garden again at my best friend's. I'm hitting ebay a little & checking catalogs. I will be using graph paper to figure where some of it goes. I'm trying to be a little better organized so I don't start too many or too few (like that could happen). I won't actually be starting much until Feb or March so they don't get too big for the house.

The back yard is where the raised beds are & picnic tables, chairs & benches, firepit, BBQ, compost & dog area. The veggies are separated from the rest of the yard by a 5' wrought iron fence (which does not even slow down Aspen (Eskie). Abby (Newfoundland) can wipe out an entire bed of plants in minutes with her big feet (& she loves cabbage heads). I took out a smaller pond (plastic preformed) & am putting in a bigger one too.

Linda

• jumpin4joy
    14 years ago

New flower beds and an acre vegtable Garden. Hubby Promises to help!! Well see. If he doesnt so help me ll till it under. LOL Im gonna try a little roadside market out front.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

We plan to move our compost bins to the other side of the yard and hide them behind the out of control cannas that came with the yard. We are also building a retaining wall and a french drain so that the house doesn't flood when it rains really hard. If we get that done, the veggie garden goes next to the french drain because that's where we get sun. The pond we planned is on hold right now....maybe next year.

Pam

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Frances, the concrete molds are easy to use, I add powered color to my concrete. I get it from where they make those tall concrete fences. I added red, but it takes alot of red color to get the right shade. I think if I do this at the coast, I will go with tan. I called all day yesterday trying to locate crushed granite in Corpus, no one was answering there phones. My husband called our neighbors, its been raining, and the ground is saturated. The Transport companies probably closed due to the weather. I will try again next Friday, I really would like the crushed granite. They use it alot on on the gardening shows. I need to do this in March, I am off for spring break. Barbra,

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow this will be a hard working year for a lot of us :-)

Great idea with the before and after pictures...I almost forgot about it..

Lucy

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Thanks Barbra, I just may give them a try!

I spent all day yesterday and the day before clearing the fall mess. Looks better out there. Just in time for some rain!

Have a great day everone!

Frances

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

I plan on working on the new bed I started last year. I also plan on growing more veggies this year to have some nice home grown veggies, yummy.

Mary

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

It was another beautiful day today. 52 & sunny! Freezing rain tonight & tomorrow am & a high of 38 (What!?). Then back up into the 40s the rest of the week. Yay!

Starting my big plans won't start for a long time. There is still a couple inches of snow over most of the grassy areas & shady back roads are still ice-covered. My patio (brick) & most of the back yard where the dogs walk is covered with solid 5" thick ice. I am not looking forward to what I will find under that ice that hasn't been cleaned up since before Christmas (we refer to them as land mines, you don't want to step on them LOL). I'd have so much free manure if I could use it.

Linda

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Wow! Isn't it great to start thinking of anotehr garden season!!! For a change I actually got to just a bit of the cleanup this past fall. Can't do it right now as its all covered with 3-4' snowdrifts.....out of sight, out of mind - LOL
    Lucy- glad you got to have Maddy over the wknd. Our G'son is just a block away but now at (almost)10 spends more time w chums than G'ma and I. Pulling into the driveway last night I could see him running home...all flailing elbows and knees in snowgear and boots...never walks, always running. Paused in the drive to watch-LOL. What a joy they are!
    All the projects remind me of similar needs in my yard but I think I'm going to be investing most of my money in larger containers for all the cuttings which were shared with me this fall.....on top of the 'herd' I already had accumulated.
    Yaaayyy. Maybe I've 'turned the corner' with both my bronchitis and attitude. Y'all have gotten me ready to start thinking about 2010 much more postively.
    Will

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will that is outstanding!! What would we do if we give up our positiv outlook?!!

What a joy to have your grandson so close to watch him go home lol

It sounded so wonderful, you watching him RUNNING home lol

I worked on one flowerbed yesterday. Cutting down the dead Canna's and putting the Oxalis' in the ground. Did stupid stuff with them lol

But Maddy is waiting for me to get done now so we can send her Daddy a video.

Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

Will I am so jealous!! Grands around the corner..WOW!! What a Blessing..Mine are in LA..3 and one on the way..LOL
    I hope your "bronchitis and attitude" both improve quickly.. NOW is the time to refresh and rethink plans and goals for the coming yr.. I hope everyone has a Wonderful and Very Blessed One..
    Lucy have Maddy tell Daddy we are thinking about him too!!âºâº

Kylie

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will pass it on Kylie

Thanks
    Lucy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Not making too many plans because I am the type that when the time comes, I might not be in the mood, LOL! I do plan to have more veggies though, and more importantly, save seeds of heirlooms.