Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

B. arborea seeds

karyn1
14 years ago

Summer Hill Seeds is offering B. arborea in their catalog this season. Robin always has high quality seeds and I thought some of you might be interested. I've grown arborea from seed and have to say that it has the lowest germination rate of any brug that I've tried. The seeds I had were from a different supplier in Canada. I have no idea about Robin's seeds but have heard that arborea has a notoriously low germination rate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Hill Seeds

Comments (11)

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Karyn. I went there but it took a long time for it to come up for me. Could be my computer and not necessarily the site.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I am sticking to hot weather tolerant angels

The heat killed 2 that I had started last winter and once it got real hot...they were toast.

The one that grew fairly good...is most like dead after the freezing temps get here tomorrow and hit the shed :-(

Hope someone will try his/her seeds

Lucy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's moot now anyway. They've sold out. That was fast!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

well it is the time to get a head start and plant those babies.

geeeeeeeeeee I should too get busy...but lol

Lucy

• grrrnthumb
    14 years ago

Interesting that their picture is not of a true Brugmansia arborea, probably a x candida or multi-hybrid.
    There are many sellers on the net now, perhaps the majority, who are selling the wrong seed for B. arborea. When we point it out to them, usually they say 'oops, the wholesaler gave me the wrong pic', then they or the wholesaler grabs a quick pic off the internet and keeps right on selling the same seed. I personally wouldn't trust any seller for these that doesn't at least have pics of their own plants.
    - Tom

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was wondering about that because I've heard that many are not true arboreas but I can't tell the difference from a pic. As for this seller I seriously doubt she is knowingly selling seeds that are mislabeled.

The ones I grew from seed from Canada didn't make it so I finally bought a plant which is struggling along. I bought my plant from Country Garden so I trust that it's correctly identified.

• grrrnthumb
    14 years ago

Yeah, none of the sellers think they are selling the wrong plant (well maybe 7S7), but it's a good bet she just gets a new pic & keeps that listing when you tell her...
    I'm sure though you'll get the right one from Country Garden (some of his seeds are from me, lol). :)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

7S7 isn't capable of being honest! I received my arborea in excellent condition from CG but had problems a few months after and almost lost it. I managed to salvage it from almost nothing and it's once again looking good. Hopefully I'll get blooms this coming season. Do the blooms actually self pollinate or do they need cross pollination from another arborea flower? I also wanted to know if it can be pollinated by another brug variety, if so which ones and can it's pollen be used on other brugs?

• grrrnthumb
    14 years ago

It is self-compatible (the only brug that is), but will usually need help from outdoor pollinators to make it happen. B. arborea is cross-compatible with all brugs in section Sphaerocarpium (the cold group). That includes sanguinea, vulcanicola, and hybrids like x flava.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. Can I hand pollinate it? We don't have many natural pollinators here. About the only things I see in the flowers are bees and sphynx moths and I think the moths are the only ones that successfully pollinate the blooms. Even that's rare and I have to hand pollinate. Now if it will just bloom for me. lol I have serious doubts about my sangs and vulcs blooming here but they'll remain in the cool GH all season. My tasconias bloom so maybe the brugs finally will too. I learned a new word today! I've never heard the term Sphaerocarpium.

• grrrnthumb
    14 years ago

Yes you can hand-pollinate them! When the pollen is ripe on a wild-form arborea, it tends to spring out in a "poof" when you get in there, almost like it was spring loaded. That's why it's tough to pollinate arborea with other pollen than it's own, because when you try to cut the anthers off to prevent self-pollination, just your messing around in there is likely to make a cloud of pollen. So anytime someone says they have "arborea x sanguinea" seed, or something similar, we never really know until the seed grows up if it wasn't a self-pollination instead of the cross they thought was made.
    Sphaerocarpium is just the fancy-shcmancy word for the cold group. The genus Brugmansia is divided into two sections: Brugmansia section Brugmansia (aurea, versicolor, sauveolens, insignis), and Brugmansia section Sphaerocarpium (arborea, sanguinea, vulcanicola). Each section is cross-compatible for all the species inside it, but they will not pollinate across the sections; so for instance you'll never see a sanguinea x versicolor cross.
    - Tom

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals