Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arghyagardengirl

Every Bruggie Into The Pool! What????

arghyagardengirl
12 years ago

OK...so the pool leaks and you're saving for a new liner. In the meantime, it's cold and wintry and you have to stare at that big empty hole.

...OK, it's actually worse than that. You have to stare at the big empty hole, you love Brugs and never have enough room for them, and you're planning on going into business this year.

*lightbulb* Underground greenhouse! And the Oscar for innovation, neatness and organization and bright ideas goes to Chris in South Carolina!

Introducing the POOL GREENHOUSE! LOL! Posted in stages...

{{gwi:444934}}

{{gwi:444935}}

GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU POT UP THE SEEDLINGS! (Very important) :)

{{gwi:444936}}

{{gwi:444937}}

Make sure there's adequate ventilation!

{{gwi:444938}}

{{gwi:444939}}

{{gwi:444940}}

Snug as a bug...

{{gwi:444941}}

Comments (25)

• efrosty1
    12 years ago

Awesome set up! Erica

• kayjones
    12 years ago

That is very nice!

• chena
    12 years ago

This guy is a Genius!!!!

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Liz, Great use of space and really nice plants. Is Chris someone that we know? Has he started selling yet? Is he going to sell to the public or wholesale? Oh, by the way , He is WAY to organized. Makes me ashamed of myself. Now I'll have to try harder, I guess. Probably not.
    Bill
    PS I am getting ready to start some of your seeds from ebay. Wish me luck.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

What a great idea! I'd love to do that but they only drain our pool partway to winterize it. There's still a couple feet of water left. Actually I'd love to just fill the damn thing in and have more space for plants.

• knotz
    12 years ago

That is AMAZING!!!!

• gardenpaw
    12 years ago

Super idea!!! And so organized!
    Great job!

Karen

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bill! Chris is new to the Brugmansia growing community, but he isn't new to me. :) YES! He will be selling this season. What you don't see here is the hundreds of cuttings he has prepared for the this coming Spring. He has those in two other locations.
    I've been working behind the scenes for almost a year, encouraging members of the Brug community to go into business and learn responsible plant and customer care. I think all of us have been well aware that there have been major problems with uneducated and/or unscrupulous eBay sellers. In the recent past, there have only been a handful of sellers we could depend on. All of that is over. Come spring, you will have at least a dozen new resources for plants. This can only benefit the Brug growing community, as it will encourage competitive pricing that will benefit everyone that loves and grows our favorite plant.

In addition to new retailers, I was able to distribute close to 10,000 seeds, either by sale or donation, to growers worldwide. More countries have the opportunity to grow new cultivars and establish the acceptance and growth of Brugmansia - that until now had either no Brugmansia or limited access to them. Those countries include: Canada, France, Denmark, Russia, Bulgaria, Norway, Spain, England, Costa Rica, Argentina, Brazil, Guam, some Pacific Islands, Australia, and many others. This year, I would love to get seed into Japan, China, Southeast Asia and The Middle East.

So, there's good news all around!

All the best with the babies, Bill! Make sure you take photos and report when they bloom! :)

• Bob_A
    12 years ago

This reminds me of a Cheech and Chong movie.

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Bob, You lost me. Is that an insult or a compliment? I hope it is the latter as we don't do insults here.
    Bill

• Bob_A
    12 years ago

It's neither, it's a try at humor.
    They had a movie where one of the characters was growing weed in an empty pool with a fake water facade covering it.

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love Cheech and Chong! Hey you! El guapo! LOL!

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Me too Liz,do you remember their one character,I think his name was Ashley Roachclip,laughed so hard that my sides hurt. They were funny.
    Dan

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Cheech & Chong movies. That brings back some very hazy memories. lol

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...and the munchies. Now, where did I stash those Twinkies????
    LOL!

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

(singing) Memories, light the [very dim] corners of my mind...
    Anyway, the pool idea is very cool. Are you actually going to use it as a pool again though? Then what will next winter bring?
    Diane

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think he's planning on more land and another greenhouse. This is kind of temporary parking. :)

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris told me he has over 145 named varieties. :)

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

How clever of Chris! He certainly has a large inventory of brugs and I wish him well.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

fabulous idea
    and a lot of work
    for sure. wish these endeavours are prosperous

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Great idea there. Lots of luck in your endeavors!
    Cheech and Chong, wow that is going way back...lol I wonder where the then "new" meaning for roaches came from?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Is no one worried that the pool will pop?
    Pools with no water in them are a bad idea!

• kasha77
    11 years ago

cearbhaill-
    I've never hear of that. What would happen?

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Kathy, my pool developed cracks a couple of years ago so I emptied it. Just yesterday a guy from the county/city came by to see if there was any mosquito larvae in the pool so he could spray the water (there's about 4-5' accumulated from rain). I mentioned wanting to have the pool drilled (holes so the water won't accumulate) and then filled with dirt. He said it's illegal without first going through a lot of paperwork for approval. Long story short, we talked about empty pools popping up out of the ground, so it's best for me to keep the water in the pool to weigh it down. Since we pay for a monthly spraying during mosquito season with our house taxes, might as well use that service and keep the water in the pool. When a pool is empty, it can move upwards cracking the deck and then it will literally pop out of the ground and destroy whatever decking/cement is on top.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Eloise, so THAT'S why a neighbor's house, foreclosed on after he died a couple of years ago, isn't drained - it is FULL of frogs and they twitter ALL NIGHT LONG! LOL

The city sprays the pool every so often, to control mosquitoes. NOW, I understand why my constant nagging about emptying it didn't provide results - THANKS!