Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eloise_ca

OT Lady Apple

eloise_ca
14 years ago

Just wondering if anyone grows Lady apples? I bought a few apples at the store, and thought I might try to get a tree. If you grow this, is it worth growing?

Comments (20)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I love Lady apples. They are my second favorite next to Honeycrisp. I don't grow any apples but if you want to grow a specific variety you need a grafted tree. You might or might not get a good tasting apple from a seed grown tree. Not only that but it takes a while for the tree to reach fruiting size. You should check around and see what apple varieties produce well in your zone. Many varieties need a chilling period. I don't know about Lady apples.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn. I am always looking for stuff that my grandkids will eat, and my 3 y.o. loves these as I do! I already have an Anna and a Granny Smith. A lady I knew from work, who lives not too far from me, had a Lady apple in her backyard. At least that's what a couple of apples she gave me looked like so I believe they will grow here. I'll check with my local nursery and see if they will get me one.

BTW, my computer at home is down so I will not be checking in as often until I get it fixed. I got a virus and after cleaning it, it locked me out.

• knotz
    14 years ago

Oh my favorite apple is Melrose..It's a self pollinator and is the BEST...You can use it for eating AND cooking.

I've never heard of Lady apple :(

Good luck :)

• haase
    14 years ago

I know of a Pink Lady Apple. Is that the same?
    I wonder what the Lady Apple looks like.
    Is it available at the Super Market?

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Lady apple and Pink Lady are not related. The Lady apple is a very old variety. It's small with a green/red skin. I also like Pink Lady apples. They are both firm with that sweet tart flavor.

• haase
    14 years ago

I saw some, marked as Lady Apples, in the supermarket today and bought some. Whatever they really were, who knows? They were yellow and red, though, and very delicious, juicy, crisp and sweet, even though they were not homegrown.
    Thanks Eloise.

Ingrid

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid, those are the ones! I plan to look for a tree soon. I am going to a meeting of CRFG (California Rare Fruit Growers) tomorrow. Maybe they can lead me to one!

Computer in the shop and using my DD's briefly. Sigh, I am so lost without my computer :-(

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That sounds like the Pink Lady apple which has become really popular the past few years. If you like that one try a Honeycrisp. IMO that's the best apple.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, are you saying that what Ingrid and I both bought at the store is the Pink Lady apple? I believe the PL apple is a larger apple than the Lady apple, and so what I got is a small apple about the size of a small-med tangerine, and sold as Lady apple.

Went to CRFG gathering yesterday and they had lots of scions, but not of Lady apple. I got some fig cuttings, sugarcane, ice cream banana (won on a raffle) and paw paw seeds. It was a great day!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

If it was small then it's a Lady Apple but I've never seen one that has any yellow so I thought it was a Pink Lady. Lady Apples aren't as popular in a supermarket as Pink Lady. Around here I usually find them at produce stands or ethnic grocers. Plant your paw paw seeds immediately as they have a short viability. Have you ever had a paw paw? I thought that I'd really like them....not! lol What kinds of figs did you get? I can only grow a few varieties inground here. I love fresh figs. Unfortunately so do all the animals that live nearby. It's a constant battle keeping them away.

• haase
    14 years ago

These are the ones I bought. You can 't see the colors too good on the pic, they actually have red cheeks.
    They do look more like a Golden Delicious, don't they? But the sign said Pink Lady.
    Ingrid
    {{gwi:444998}}From Drop Box

• haase
    14 years ago

I'm sorry. The sign said Lady Apple of course.
    Ingrid

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Eloise, I hope the figs grow for you. We used to have a large fig tree. Figs are so expensive in the market and they seem like something your granddaughter might like. Where does the rare fruit growers group meet? Good luck on finding a Lady Apple tree. We never had luck growing appletrees. Maybe just tried wrong variety. Have you gotten rid of your bees yet? Our yorkie had a bad reactions to a bee sting a couple of weeks ago and ended up in pet ER. Had to spend the night in the pet hospital. Ended up costing almost $2,000. Thankfully be have pet insurance.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, I know what you mean; I have a Kadota and the few figs it had, the squirrels got to them even before they were ripe. The fig cuttings I got at CRFG are: Peter's Honey, Panache 'Tiger', and another one that I can't read/remember what I wrote. The latter, everyone was trying to get a cutting of it. I'll have to ask the name at next month's meeting.

Ingrid, those apples look different from the Lady apples I bought. Sorry I can't take a picture because my 3 y.o. GD ate the last three I had! They were smaller, a bit flatter and the coloring was different than what yours look like.

Thanks Jill, I hope they grow for me too! There are various chapters of CRFG, but the one I belong to meets at the Sepulveda Garden Center in Encino. I grow Anna apple successfully and at a previous home, I grew Beverly Hills apple. The bees are all gone now at the tune of $495! Sorry about your Yorkie, and ouch, $2000!

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Do you have another apple tree? If you can find cuttings this spring, graft it yours.

Linda

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Eloise someone suggested tying junk CD's to the fig branches to keep the critters away. I was going to try it last season but we had such a cold winter and I never wrapped my figs so I didn't have any fruit to protect but it sounds like it might work. I'll give almost anything a try. What method was used to get rid of the bees? The only bee problem we have are carpenter bees burrowing into the sauna (it's cedar) every summer. We can just plug the holes ourselves. They are super loud and look like giant bumble bees but we've never been stung.

Ingrid that's not a Lady Apple, it doesn't even look like a Pink Lady but whatever it is it's sure a pretty apple.

Jill glad your dog is ok but 2K, ouch!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I went to the store today and picked up both Lady and Pink Lady apples. The Pink Lady is an average size fruit so you can see how small the Lady apple is. The Lady apple also has smooth skin and the Pink Lady is kind of lumpy. The pics are a bit yellowish. The Lady apple almost looks like a tiny McIntosh.

{{gwi:444999}}
    {{gwi:445000}}

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn, you saved me a trip to the store, LOL! I was going to go buy some more Lady apples just so I could post a pix. Since my kadota is in the backyard, I could try hanging the cds on it. I think I've also seen tin foil strips on trees. Re. bees, they took everything away, but for a couple of days I could hear some buzzing near my kitchen wall. The guy said those bees were trapped in there when they sealed everything up and would die within two days. I don't hear anything now :-(

Thanks for the suggestion Linda. If I find someone with a Lady apple tree, I will beg a branch and try grafting on to my own apple tree.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I was at the market and saw them in the produce section so I figured I get them and take pics. At least I got to them before they were eaten. lol If you try the CD's let me know if it works. If not I'll give the CD's to Kyle for a craft project. I've been saving the junk ones up for about a year and have collected quite a few.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I try the cds, I will let you know if they work Karyn, although I would have to buy cds as I do not have old/extra ones around. Maybe I can find some at a 2nd hand store.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor