Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

hiii :) - strophanthus gratus in bloom pics!

siam_cannas
14 years ago

hi all my climbing oleander is in full bloom and i wanted to share the pics with you all. Happy New Year!

{{gwi:445325}}

{{gwi:445327}}

{{gwi:445329}}

{{gwi:445331}}

Siam.

Comments (20)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Congrats. I had no idea there is a CLIMBING Oleander. wow that would be awesome. If deer do not eat the regular one...I wonder if they would leave that one alone and man that would look great as a permanent fence. going to look into that one.

Thanks Siam...missed you lots and wishing you a Happy New Year also!

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's just beautiful. I lost mine during the greenhouse freeze last year. I love all the strophanthus.

• chena
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Kylie

• figara
    14 years ago

I did not know that is a climbing oleander too. Cool.

Pat

• haase
    14 years ago

What a great plant! Thanks for the pictures.

They grow regular oleanders here alongside a street for instance,because they are the kind that can take the draught. Unlike the oleanders they grow in Italy. Once a year they come by with these huge trucks that have some kind of chopping machine attached to them, just slowly driving alongside the oleander hedges and viciously chopping them off, flowers, leaves, and all. It is sickening to me!

Ingrid

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

well Ingrid I think that the Oleander would just take over the streets! I mean when we went to Houston during the summer, my gosh...I have NEVER EVER seen Oleander THAT TALL AND HUGE! We are talking a two story house probably.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

Lucy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Wow Siam, that is very pretty!

Pam

• taz56
    14 years ago

Very pretty
    Susan

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

I've never heard of "climbing" oleander so had to google. That's pretty! I grew up with the regular oleanders in Arizona and to me they are weeds, so I've never bought one, LOL! Somewhere in the front yard is/was a volunteer red, but it gets buried with the other plants.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Eloise the nerium oleanders (the common oleander that is seen in landscaping) are weeds! The S. gratus is so unlike the nerium and is one of the prettiest IMO. The strophanthus are so interesting looking. Some are vines, others bushes or small trees. I have preussi, bovinni, kombe, petersianus and an unknown, maybe a preussi hybrid. Some varieties are used to make cardiac stimulants and other varieties are used to make poison to tip darts and arrows, hence the name Poison Arrow Vine.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes this oleander is really nice. But i also like the regular nerium oleanders!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn for the differences in oleanders. I recall aphids loved the nerium oleanders.

Siam, just googled and read that s. gratus has a rose scent. Does yours?

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn ehmmm...so are you on that watch list from their sites ? roflmao

But seriously...I love the great information you share!!!

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Eloise it did smell a bit like a rose but not nearly as strong but that could be because mine was always in a greenhouse. Strophanthus(es? I don't know the plural) are one of my favorites but I've had little success finding different varieties for sale. Even the sites that specialize in West African plants don't offer many varieties. I got my gratus from Zone 9.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eloise Karyn is right, it does smell like a rose but not as pungent. Its nice though.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn and Siam, sounds like this is a good plant to have. I read they come in a couple of colors, but I think the one you have Siam is the nicer colored one.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

What colors do they come in? I've only seen the pink one. A yellow would be beautiful. It's a fairly care free plant, just cold sensitive. I lost mine during the greenhouse freeze.

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

Nice to see something blooming OUTDOORS right now! In the past 10 minutes I've been on the computer the temperature has dropped from 25 to 18 degrees, below 0 is coming! Yuck! Keep them summery flower photos coming PLEASE!!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Sorry, no yellow Karyn. Now I wonder if they come in different colors or if it's that the bloom on one plant can vary between, Pink, Rose/Mauve and White/Near White.

Diane, stay inside and keep warm, brrrrrrrrrr!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The blooms do vary from white to dark pink on the same plant. It would grow beautifully in your area. That should be one of your next plant acquisitions. lol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting