Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

OT: Freezing temps question

givelittle_getlots
14 years ago

I know about dripping faucet...opening cabinet doors...covering faucet up outside.

But what is really on my mind is my wash machine and dryer.

Now is it worse or better to use them to keep the water flowing and heating the garage a bit? Will the washing hurt the wash machine?

Hurry..ha ha it is getting colder and colder

thanks

Lucy

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

As long as your water lines are ok there's no reason not to use the washer. We take a long piece of the corrigated pipe (not sure if that's the correct name) and divert the air from the dryer that's normally vented outside into the house.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ahhh that would be great...but the reason why I want to use the dryer is...the vent is right next ..or underneath the outside faucet. So I figured it might prevent it from freezing a bit better.

Thanks Karyn

• knotz
    14 years ago

I usually use cold water to wash, but when it's freezing outside, I use warm...It helps to keep the pipes a little warmed up.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Lucy unless you plan on running your dryer an awfull lot or doing your laundry in the middle of the night when temps are at their lowest I'm not sure it will help that much. I still use cold water for washing and haven't had a problem but we're used to freezing temps in this area as opposed to those of you who get unusually cold temps consistantly once in a blue moon.

• chena
    14 years ago

Lucy my mother puts a drop light/light bulb in her washer to keep some heat in it..Works very well..

Kylie

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn YES I usually wash in the middle of the night and early morning lol

I like the idea of washing with warm water...thanks Caren.

Kylie I will just wash my heart out...by the time the freeze is over...my hole darn house is spotless lol

Lucy

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Lucy
    I pull a couple of warm socks over my hose bib on very cold nights! Make sure your hose is disconnected and empty of water. We have had some very cold nights lately but most of our plumbing is buried in concrete beneath the house. Only the two hosebibs are exposed to the cold!

If your washe is in the garage, it is probably against an inside wall (adjoining the house?) if so the risk of freezing is probably small if you keep your garage door closed, but you could add a little extra insulation by covering the whole thing with a warm blanket/comforter on the worst nights.

Good luck everyone, try to stay warm! I feel like winter has already lasted forever and it usually has not even started yet at this time!

I am praying for a (VERY) early spring!

Frances

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

If you can, turn off the water supply to the outside faucet and drain the water from it. That will prevent the pipe freezing. Here in the north we do this and it works for the outside tap. Then you can use your dryer exhaust to warm your garage as Karyn suggested.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Frances and ruth ann thanks.

The dryer is against the outside wall and right next to a window. I am washing right now...staying up a while. It is just this darn old house that was not build real good.

I don't think we can turn that faucet's water supply off unless we turn it all of.

I just hope and pray...for us ALL

Lucy

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner