Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantorvillain

Pesticides - inside use.

mantorvillain
14 years ago

Most of my bigger plants are in the basement in 'semi-dormancy'. I always take at least 1 cutting of each variety as 'backup' but have (so far) had good results with the rootballs waking up. I also have the cuttings I've received through trades going under lights in the basement.

I caught a spider mite outbreak in relatively early stages last week and seem to have it under control at the moment via spraying. I also scratched in some of the bonide systemic in the mix around the roots and am trying to keep them well watered. I use a good respirator when spraying but am just a bit leery of ongoing spraying inside when the house is closed up so tight (even using the mask) as I am moderately asthmatic.

The cuttingsw are, for the most part, in 4" pots soon due to be upsized. I'm just looking for the best way to manage the pests over the past couple of months.

Are there any miticides which would be taken up via the root system with watering? I even thought of cutting foam to cover the tops of the pot so I could just turn the whole thing upside down to 'swish' the tops in a mixed up solution rather than spraying.

Any suggestions or thoughts on either brands or techniques will be appreciated as I seem to have this challenge every year and expect others do also.

I did find Forbid on ebay and had planned to order soon as I can figure out my registration there (had it, just don't order things much...and heaven forbid I write things down!)

I'll probably wait to order etc. in hopes of informative feedback here.

Thanks,

Will

Comment (1)