Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
restricting pot drainage?

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (willbeane2000@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 11:04

Someone (don't recall who of course) posted an interesting concept last Winter/Spring which intrigued me at the time. They too use large (15+ gal) nursery pots and a very light planting mix. They commented that when they water it seems to run through so fast it was questionable how much the media was soaking up. Their thought was to cover (tape of some sort or whatever) all but one of the holes at the bottom of the pot so that it takes longer for the water to drain allowing the bark etc in the medium to soak up more but allowing eventual drainage which would also insure good root aeration. I don't recall any followup on this and am curious if anyone tried it and if/how it worked...or thoughts from any others who may have the same problem supplying these water hogs.
Thanks,
will.........been away a while so haven't had time to go back the past couple of months postings, so sorry if this has been discussed in the interim.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: restricting pot drainage?

Will..not sure if it was my post, however, I did mention
that I'd tried this idea. For my brugs that I grow in the
nursery pots, I taped most of the drainage holes to allow
the water to run off more slowly. I use a good potting mix
and didn't have to water quite as often

Margaret

o

A few years ago, I bought a discounted roll of weed barrier cloth. I just cut off a piece of that and put it inside the bottom of my pots to keep the soil and water from going out the holes so quickly.

o

Will, you can use coffee filters or used dryer sheets. I am a recycling kind of person:-)

Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here