Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to "wake up" Brugmansia?

Posted by SpencerStevens z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 12:11

Hello,

I live in CO and have a Brugmansia which i decided to place into dormancy over this winter. However, this winter isn't much of a winter and we are already experiencing temps in the 60s and it's only late January/early February. My question is when do most decide to start waking up their plants? What should the outside daytime high get to before I decide to place the plants outside during the day (I wont be leaving them outside until temps stay above 50 at night).

I do have a grow room with an eight bulb four foot t5 light fixture (only blue wave lengths) where I have 5 or 6 cuttings which are planted and flowering, two dawn redwoods which I already woke up, and a sequoia. Would it be ok to put the larger brug down there or should I just stop being so antsy and wait till the middle to end of Feb to wake it up?

Thanks in advance,
Spencer Stevens

This post was edited by SpencerStevens on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 21:51

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to "wake up" Brugmansia?

I live in Houston, zone9, and brugs are all over the place. They don't really go dormant here, we plant them in the ground. If it gets cold enough, they will freeze to the ground and come back, unless we have a hard, protracted freeze, which we did 2 years ago, and mine died completely, so if you plant yours in your yard after it's warm, dig them up in the fall. Some people do that, and get much better growth and blooming. They grow very fast.

So, I'd say, put them outside and let them do their thing. One of mine is still blooming(!), while the other one that's in the ground is still green and growing, and the newer ones in pots are just sitting there, not growing and not dying back. I don't bring them indoors until the temps get down to about 40 at night, and they could take colder with no damage, maybe 38 or so. It was 35 the other night and they were fine, but it warmed up quickly after dawn. Daytime temps have been up to 80, but are closer to the average now, which is around 65-70. They are in the sun during the day.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:08

My brugs seem to just wake up on their own after a period of dormancy / no growth. I have not developed the skill to keep them sleeping, so it seems.

o

Thanks for the responses. I keep mine in containers and decided to take my mother into my grow room to begin waking her up! Im pretty excited... She is doing well and I should have no problem with her. I figured the more growth I can get on her before I put her outside the better off. I want a lot of blooms!

Thanks,
Spencer

o

I'm with gerris2.... mine seems to wake up when it's good and ready to! This was my first winter with a brug, and I really was questioning its welfare...I was afraid I'd killed it. But now the past couple weeks it's starting to leaf out again....so I have it near a patio door and am watering it again. I don't mind giving it a head start. Although, last year my tropicals couldn't go out until Memorial Day weekend or thereabouts...after this long, snowy winter we've had, I hope that day comes sooner this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here