Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: What a find!

karyn1
14 years ago

We found the most valuable thing a homeowner can find, a great handyman. This man had been doing some work for my Mom and she really likes him so we gave him a call to do some stuff for us. He replaced 2 sink faucets and fixed a closet door on Sun. It took him just under 2 hours. When DH asked how much he said "How about $40?"!!!! DH told him that he was crazy and gave him $60 which was still a steal. He's coming back next week to replace a storm door, a vanity and more closet work and when it warms up a bit he's doing our fence. We have a ton of little things to be done around the house but haven't been able to find anyone to do them. We'd been looking, along with our neighbor, for over a year for someone to fix/replace the fence. To top it off when he was working downstairs he saw the brug with the dried bloom and asked if it was an angel trumpet!!!!! It turns out he's into gardening and is familiar with a wide variety of plants. I'll root some cuttings and pot them up for him.

Comments (13)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I am touched! You just found a great replacement for the Pedro that got lost somewhere lol and was never around when we needed him.

But seriously, your title of the thread says it all. You found a wonderful way to pay him in ways that mean more then Money...sharing your plants with him too. I do not think this man will ever run out of jobs!!!

Congratulations..your year starts out great!

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

That is really great news! Do you think he will join us on the Brug forum?

Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You have no idea how badly we need a decent handyman. DH doesn't have the desire or the time to do all the little things around the house that need to be done. Nor does he have the know how for many of them. Now if I can just find a flight that works for my friend and I to go to FL next week all will be well with the world. lol

• chena
    14 years ago

WOW!! Very cool.. These days just getting someone to show up much less work is hard to come by....Gives me Faith in the Honest ones.. I know they are out there and I love to hear when they show up... Be sure to share him once you are finished when him..LOL Everyone needs a good Handyman!! ;O)

• linda441
    14 years ago

I finally got my computer back!!!! Will try to get on here more often now.

Karyn--you are not seriously thinking of coming to Florida next week???? If so I hope it is very south Florida and they are having chilly temps now too. We are going to be in the 20's this week and teens next week. Warm sunny Florida---NOT!!!

However--if you do come down, drop your handyman off here in Jacksonville and pick him up on the way back--I can sure use some help!

Linda

• figara
    14 years ago

Karyn, I wanted to say the same thing ...send him over to my place. I badly need a good professional and honest handyman. They are very rare today!!
    Congratulation !! I now he will be very happy when you will give him brugs cuttings.

Pat

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I go to Southern FL in the winter. It's been cold all the way down to Miami this week but it's nothing compared to what it's like here. We've had almost constant wind chills near 0 for the past few days. I'm actually waking up angry because of the temps. lol I just booked a flight and am leaving on Mon. Unfortunately I have to be back here on the 21st. I have an appointment that I can't change. Hopefully it will warm up next week but even if it doesn't it's a sight of a lot warmer there then here!

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Karyn, Think of me while you are there in the heat. I will be thinking of you (jealously). LOL

Linda

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Karyn, I hope you have lovely weather while you are visiting in Florida. You might look into buying a bungalow while you are down, then you could rent it out in the summer, and stay there in the winter months. It could pay for itself. I understand that in some areas of Florida the homes are going for 1/3 of what they were 3 years ago. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbra my Mom has a house in West Palm Beach that's always empty so I use it whenever I'm in So FL. Real estate is dirt cheap now. We were looking around Boca last year but my older children don't want to move and it wouldn't be fair to make them. Kyle will still be in elementary school when Madi begins college so maybe then.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

That is good find, lol. Have a good time Karyn. We are getting ready to have a deep freeze here. Wish I was going to Florida with you. I hate the cold.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

That is a very good find Karyn! I have lots of stuff to be done around the house also, but I don't trust most people. When I hired a gardener (recommended by the shop that fixes my lawnmower), he showed up three times and then disappeared. I believe he thought he was going to be able to mow the front and back in 15 minutes and move on to the next place! Keep warm in Florida!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope that doesn't happen with this guy. He's been doing work for my Mom for about 8 months. She leaves him alone in her house. I haven't gotten to that point but it would be nice if I'm able to trust him that much. I don't think he's going anywhere. He lives around the corner from my Mom. His Mother owned the house and she passed away and left it to him.

I just spoke with a GW acquaintance in WPB. It's been in the 60's and sunny during the day but cold at night and that pattern is supposed to hold thru next Tuesday. I'd rather 80 but I'll take anything above freezing at this point! lol It's funny to hear them complaining how cold it is. My BIL lives in Boca and he's already complaining about the cold He's only been there for 5 years. How son they forget! If it's too cold in PB I'll take a puddle jumper to the Keys for a few days. My cousin lives in Key West.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?