Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

What's wrong with this Brug -anybody's 2 cents?

kasha77
14 years ago

Hi-

I have numerous named brug cuttings growing on a 16' heating mat in my cool basement- I came across this NHDP cutting with strange markings on the leaves- but no bugs seen. Can anyone give me a clue on what it is? Also, here are some photos of my basement brugs cuttings, they're starting to leaf out & are getting root bound, ready for transplanting.

Thanks to all who have enabled me to acquire this vast collection!

kasha77

{{gwi:449394}}

{{gwi:449395}}

{{gwi:449396}}

basement brug cuttings

{{gwi:449397}}

{{gwi:449398}}

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm guessing a calcium or magnesium deficiency. I doubt that it's a mosaic virus but I would move it away from the other plants to be on the safe side. I'd give it a dose of Cal-Mag Plus or Epsom Salts and see if that helps.

• haase
    14 years ago

Gee, I have no idea, but you take great pictures!!
    Ingrid

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

I think it is nutrient deficiency as well. Try what Karyn said, you could add a touch of Boron too if you have it.

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Wow Pretty babies!!I know nothing about brugs except that they are pretty and they bloom also they are not cold weather hardy(freeze).But I was thinking is there a possibility of the plant being a variegated kind? why not isolate the plant with the spots treat and see if that is the reason for the spots.Remember I don't know just taking a guess.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's definitely a problem of some sort, not variegation.

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

Sometimes you can get this effect due to over fertilization along with not enough sunlight too.Are you fertilizing this one and is it under lights? Some Brugs react differently to the same environment and that would explain why none of the others are looking like this if in fact this is the reason.

• danasplants
    14 years ago

I have one that looks like that too I think its either not enough light or i just recently fertilized mine with mg and super thrive little heavy handed on the super thrive could have caused that mine look just like yours crunched in toegther if it is something bad the way you have them it will spread like fire. Roots might not have been developed and fertilizer caused this have you given them anything?

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Gang-
    I've never fertilized these rooted cuttings- and they are all under plant & sunlight bulbs, on a heated grow mat. they are starting to get root bound, so I did give them a dose of Epsom Salts along with some Miracle grow. The cutting is slowly turning all green- so I think you were right Karyn, it had to be some sort of deficiency. Thanks for all the comments!
    Kasha77

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Glad to hear that it's greening up. I've been using ES for several years but started using Cal-Mag Plus last year and really like it. I also started with a product called Protekt which is a silica based additive that helps strengthen the cell walls and make plants less susceptible to damage from sucking insects.

When you see foliage like that suddenly appear during the growing season when the plant is fully leafed out and has been getting regular feedings then I would think a mosaic virus is more likely. A mosaic virus won't kill your plant but it's contagious and makes the foliage unsightly.