Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whetndri

Three months ago...

Three months ago I started this cutting of B. Rosalla. Today it has 8 buds. First photo is 10/14/09 and the second is 1/14/10. By the way they are swelling it won't be long before I see my first brug flower.

Joe

{{gwi:449945}}
{{gwi:449947}}

Comments (13)

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

wow thats really fast. you guys have great luck with growing brugs. my brugs usually take long to bloom.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Joe you sure have the magic touch with them angels!!
    Lucy

• sekhment
    14 years ago

holy wow you have the best luck what is your secret?
    thanks
    Cassie

• joe (Wisconsin USA)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cassie, This is my first try with brugs and from the info I have been able to find I think this cutting was one taken from above the Y. Cuttings taken from below a Y need to grow and form a Y before flowering. This is my understanding. I would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks, Joe

• chena
    14 years ago

Congrats Joe!!
    You are right... You got ya some sweet cuttings there...I can't wait to see you pic's.. You'll probably need a pedestal to put it on LOL.. Very healthy looking plant as well!!! âºâº
    Kylie

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

Wow your cuttings did great during that short time. You will love rosalla:

{{gwi:440985}}
    {{gwi:440986}}

It can even be double sometimes but I have never seen a double bloom on mine yet.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Congrats. Looks like a nice healthy plant.

• haase
    14 years ago

You are right with the cutting above the "y". I started one like that two months ago, and buds are forming.
    Yours is a nice plant for sure.

Ingrid

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

Whatever you did, Joe...it was all good! It's a lovely,
    strong-looking plant.
    Margret

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Hi Joe, Absolutely one of the deepest pinks of the brugs - absolutely beautiful. You have my attention on those blooms at 3 months.

Either you have a lot of Y'ing going on all at once or very shortly apart up that branching or this brug is doing something very unusual. It definately is a great brug to cross with other brugs (if it even can be.)

Anyway, I've been trying to think of what nutrients or chemical that a plant needs to utilize in order to 'mature' enough to split it's cells into perfect pairs/matches for y'ing of the branches to occur and therefore the flowering to begin but I've not figured that magic plant fertility drug out yet.

So the barage of questions.... Maybe it's not the specific brug but the food or soil medium you have them in.
    what are you feeding it????
    And how big are those little pots they're in. 2x2x3?
    Are they still in them at this flowering point for Rosalla?
    What kind of lights are you using and how tall are they from the soil level before it first budded?

Oh yeah, you knew these questions were going to come...lol

Hopefully you'll have time to answer my questions no longer how long it takes for you to discover I've asked them.

Thanks for the wonder -Sandy

• joe (Wisconsin USA)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandy, Here to answer the questions you asked. I am using MSU fertilizer 13-3-15-8-2 in RO water, the same one I use on my orchids. The medium is made up of 3 parts Miracle-Gro potting soil, 1.5 parts small orchid bark and 1.5 parts perlite. I started the cuttings in the small pots to prevent over watering as the roots were developing, now they are in 4 inch pots and soon to be potted up to larger pots. I am growing them in the basement under 1000 watt MH HID lights, along with my orchids. The lights are on 12 hours a day at this time of the year. Since the picture of the budding plant most of the buds have dropped, I believe it is because the plant was not mature enough to support that many buds. When it blooms I will post pix.

Hope this answers your questions,

Joe

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Thank you Joe, I'm sure others were curious to. Well then, I'd say between the great light system which pars with oxmix's setup and results, that's probably key to the great foliage. I'll have to check out more specifics on the light system to find out if they're blue and red, one of them, or more colors involved. I'd really like to find a cheaper light system to run.

I'm thinking that orchid bark might just have the right stuff to initiate flowering but how are the other 2 different kinds doing regarding flowering? Maybe after all that's said and done, it's the kind of brug and the right environment that is the only reason it bloomed so early.

I lost leaves on my 2 baby Monikas because of a lack of humidity. I know this is why because they're in the same room as I and I suffered a very dry mouth during those days before I realized my plants were suffering to. Could be why some of your buds fell.

I have had a ton of cuttings above the Y and not had buddings until they Y'd but also they were outside. So maybe light is the key to get them to Y earlier. Light and humidity. The air gets really dry when the cold has the upper hand on their molecules.

Looking forward to your pictures - Sandy

• iwalani_75
    14 years ago

Wow, congratulations on the result. I'm interested in seeing the blooms too and wondering what they smell like.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH