Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

Thanks everyone for being so generous. pics...

siam_cannas
14 years ago

hiii all, just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who sent me seeds. I was desperate for crape myrtle seeds and some of you sent me some. I sowed them and now i see 3 seeds have germinated so far, hopefully i will get more to germinate. I got 1 from watermelon red and 2 deep purple crape myrtle seeds to grow.

It is so very limiting in Trinidad with aquiring plants, im so happy i got seeds.The nurseries dont carry much crape myrtle especially not the reds and deep purple. i have no idea why!.

So im very excited and happy to have these new colours! :D

Here are pics of the seedlings just poking out of the soil , u have to look really closely.. i couldnt wait to post lol!

and some other pics of whats going on in my garden today. Thanks again guys :)

{{gwi:450284}}

{{gwi:450285}}

{{gwi:450287}}

{{gwi:450288}}

{{gwi:450289}}

{{gwi:450290}}

{{gwi:450291}}

{{gwi:450292}}

{{gwi:450293}}

{{gwi:450295}}

{{gwi:450297}}

{{gwi:450299}}

{{gwi:450301}}

{{gwi:450302}}

{{gwi:450304}}

Siam.

Comments (19)

• sekhment
    14 years ago

you have a wonderful looking yard. I love all those plants
    thanks for the pics
    cassie

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Ok Siam...I am ready to move!!!

Thanks for brightening the forum with your gorgeous pictures and the joy about the seeds sprouting :-)

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

What is that super cool looking flower in the 4th pic? I love your water garden and the fur baby. All the plants look great. Good luck with the seedlings.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Cassie,
    Lucy you should visit someday!
    karyn, its a pink torch ginger. The pic after that is a red Firespike (odontonema strictum)
    Siam.

• haase
    14 years ago

Nice pics, siam, but I love your doggie the best.
    Ingrid

• chena
    14 years ago

Beautiful pic's!!! Look at all of that sunshine.. Send some my way!!! ;O)

Kylie

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Siam, Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. What a cute little doggie. What kind is he? I'm guessing collie, cocker?

Is that red tails one Love Lies Bleeding?

Linda

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, yes that is red tails on love lies bleeding :) Gypsy is actually a mixed breed dog.
    kylie, i wish i had some cold periods here.. i might have more sucess with callas!

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Great pictures!! So you said you don't have winter in trinidad?I guess it must be o.k. here in Texas you never know about the weather!! from hot to cold to rain to drought to windy to whathave you(Central Texas anyway) But is something you learn to live with, don't get me wrong I like it here. Good luck gardening and if you need some other seeds just post and I might have some for you, sorry I missed your other post. Marcie_new

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I was really hoping that the bright red crape myrtle would germinate!

Your dog has a sweet little beard! you just have beautiful flowers and plants.

Pam

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Siam, everything looks great. I especially like your pond with those lilies!

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pam, yes thank you so much for the seeds. Im still hoping the bright red crape myrtle seeds germinate. maybe they were not ripe yet. fingers crossed!
    Thanks eloise :)
    Marcie_new hi, Yep we have no winter in the Caribbean. Its always always... 30-34 degrees celcius everyday! and during the nights about 25 degrees celcius. i am actually looking for other colours of crape myrtle seeds, epiphyllum seeds, and i was thinking about trying fuchsia seeds, not sure if they will thrive here, lampranthus seeds, white or pink vitex seeds. I have tropical seeds if you would like. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? Let me know :)
    Siam,

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Siam do you know how long crepe myrtle seeds are viable? I'm pretty sure I have a few varieties in my seed box but they are 1-2 years old. If there's a chance that they are viable I'll look for them when I get home and send them to you.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Siam
    Lovely flowers! That ginger is stunning! I didn't know there were flowers like that on ginger! Beautiful!

We have many many crepe myrtles around here (not in my yard, too shady) but most are covered with seed pods right now. They will start pruning them back next month. I could probably get some pale lavendar and pink ones for you next time I go to the supermarket. They drop seed and sprout everywhere! (even in my yard)

Is it difficult to send seed to you from the US?

Have a wonderful day everyone!
    Frances

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Siam, I think you will have 100% seed germinating, of the dark purple, you can't get fresher seeds than picking right off the trees. The purple ones are my favoite, they are the smallest of the trees, but I love the color. Good Luck. Barbra,

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, im not sure how long they are viable for, i will find out :) let me know what varieties you have, i might still try them just incase i have good luck :D
    Frances, thanks i have the pale lavender and light pink, if you have any bicoloured or reds or deep pinks and purples, i would love to try those. thank you. It is very easy to send seeds to me from the US in the mail.
    Barbra, thank you so much for sending me those crape seeds :D your a garden saver!!!!
    Siam.
    Siam.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Siam

My MIL has a dark pink one I will check it for seedpods next time I visit. There are reds and purples around here but without flowers, I can't remember which is which! If you are still looking I will be happy to pluck a few pods next year.

I wish I could grow them, they are so easy here, but they need a lot more sun than I have!

Have a wonderful day

Frances

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cool that sounds great. i dont mind waiting. thanks
    Siam.

• bluelake
    14 years ago

I'm a lurker to this board, but those are BEAUTIFUL pictures. Your dog looks like Brad Pitt with that goatee! (however you spell it.)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia