Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

waaaay ot: !!

chena
13 years ago

Does anyone get grocery coupons online??

I saw this show the other day called Extreme Coupons or something like that on the TLC channel.. This chick bought $638.00 worth of stuff and paid $8.37.. She was VERY organized.. NOT feasible for me BUT I do like a bargain..LOL

Kylie

Comments (36)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I didn't see that but have seen similar things on the Today Show and local news. I wish I could be that organized but I'm not. I've tried clipping coupons but always forget to use them. I'm also a terrible impulse shopper. I'll go to the store for 5 items and come home with 10 bags. lol If I was that organized just think of all the extra $$ I'd have. I think you really have to be dedicated and it's not as easy as they make it look. You really have to plan your purchases.

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Kylie...I've seen it twice and I'm stunned! It CAN be done,
    if one is really, really into it. I could never be that
    committed..but...I have taken out a couple of worth while
    coupons on items that we use regularly. I'd rather be
    planting flowers and seeds :):)
    Karyn...it sounds exhausting only because I don't have the
    patience.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

I'm with you all. I have cut out/printed out coupons and then either leave them at home or forget to pull them out. Besides, most coupon items are nothing I would ever buy or use. I glad my Costco automatically takes the discount because I always forget their coupon book, LOL!

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I do the dumpster dive it won't be for coupons..LOL

Kylie

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Though I do use coupons I haven't figured out the online coupon thing so rarely use online coupons. Mostly I use manufacturer's coupons from the newspaper which I sort into food/nonfood and file according to date. Once a week I cut, file and look through them after I have made my shopping list. I also sort them in my coupon envelope (just a plain envelope) according to the store I am going to because one store takes expired coupons. I do this while watching/listening to TV instead of playing solitaire on my computer.

Probably save $5-10 per visit per store or more if I use a manufacturer's coupon with a local store's coupon or if I go the days that some coupons are doubled.

I used to do an end of the month shopping with a huge pile of coupons and came home with lots of groceries for a small amount, but not to that extreme. Also used to send for lots of rebates. That was when I was younger and had more energy. I considered it part of my homemaking "work" and it was a break from other cooking, cleaning, child rearing activities. Nowadays I don't have the inclination or energy, and it helps that I no longer have to watch every penny.

• ariel73
    13 years ago

I started couponing about 6 months ago and I typically save 60-70% on my gorceries. There are websites out there that tell what coupons to clip and what stores to use them at.
    They key to couponing is using your coupons when the items are on sale, and stock up on that item so you won't need to buy it again until it goes on sale again.
    I have a family of 6 so I usually buy 4-6 papers every Sunday so that I have mulitples of each coupon.
    For example before I used to coupon I would only buy 1 box of cereal when I needed it. Now when my cereal it on sale I will buy 4-6 so that way I am stocked up on it and won't run out of that item until it goes on sale again.
    It can be time consuming. I usually spend a couple of hours a week on it, but I try to do it while I am watching tv, so it is no big deal to me.
    Here are the Websites I use, Good luck!
    I am not on here very often so if you have any questions feel free to email me- mamagardens @ yahoo . com

thekrazycouponlady.com
    southernsavaers.com
    iheartpublix.com

• retsec
    13 years ago

I clipped coupons years ago. My friend and I would get our newspaper on Thursday and Sunday. If there were several coupons we would use, we would go and buy more papers. We clipped and filed and then watched the sales and when they had double or triple coupons. You have to be willing to use different brands, etc. We have bought $100 + groceries and only paid $1-2. At one time I had 20 something boxes of washing powder stuck back. That is when it would be on sale for 99 cents and would have a 50 cent coupon that I could get doubled. Yes, it was many years ago. Like the previous post, I don't have to watch my pennies so much now and it is only my husband and I. He drives a truck so he's gone a lot. Don't need too many groceries now. We have a salvage store close now. You can get some great deals there on slightly bent cans,etc. I got Cascade last week for 1.99. I usually pay around $4.00- $5.00 for that size. I bought all 5 boxes they had. I got Sparkle paper towels for .59. The box they were in was smashed. I bought the whole box (12). I go every week when they get the new load in. One week I got Puffs tissues with Lotion for .79. I got 8 boxes. They have some great deals. I have an extra bedroom and I stash all my extras in there. My husband says I could start my own store.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I do pretty good with coupons if I remember to take them with me. They say if you take a list with you to the store it will help you to stay on take and resist impulse buying. Too bad I always forget to take the list LOL!
    If I am going for just a few things I can put it under my 'notes' on my phone.

Apparently there is supposed to be some new app coming out where you can check the price of anything in the store (scan the barcode with your phone) and see if it is cheaper somewhere else.

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lenette now that would be cool..
    I try but I sooo suck at it.. I need someone to GUIDE ME!! LOL I did check out a few coupon sites today seemed very overwhelming.. went back to shopping plants..

Kylie

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

LOL Kylie, I like your plan better! At least one has more experience with plants and sort of have an idea on what would be too much to pay for one. Of course, we could run into a plant we couldn't resist (impulse buying).

Lenette, I too forget my list. You know what really gets me, and I usually make a comment to the clerk is when they total up the grocery bill; when they say, "you saved XX$$ today!" I tell them that I would have saved more if I hadn't come in because I came in for only one item and ended up with more! BTW, I got me two new chickies yesterday, Calico Cochin Bantams!

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I'm not that dedicated to take the time to sort coupons, concentrate on what I'm buying, based on the coupons, as I'm walking up and down every isles of the grocery store.

I generally only go grocery shopping once a month as I absolutely hate shopping, so it's very time consumer already without the hassle of finding specific coupon items. Being that I'm only a once a month shopper, ultimately ending with a rather large bill, coupons would probably be very cost effective, but again, I'm just not that dedicated. lol

13 years ago

eloise: Calico cochins, COOL!! You have to post pics when they feather out!
    I adopted some Key West Chickens from the rescue. The Key West Wildlife Rescue Center are relocating some of the chickens from Key West,FL that people who have vacation homes and golf resorts etc. don't want them around. The chickens have been there @ 175 yrs or more and were brought to KW by pirates and later immigrants from Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Spain and ran wild. They are mostly from gamefowl (Cuban, Spanish, and Puerto Rican) chicken lines. Many tourists enjoy them.
    I got a rooster and 4 hens. They are purty! They aren't quite bantam size but smaller than regular sized chickens. The little roo thinks he's really something: Strutting around and he clucks and gives his girls all his treats lol. I have 12 eggs in the 'bator from them already :D
    ~SJN

• rmbill
    13 years ago

My baby chicks that, I wrote about a while back, are now giving me LOTS of eggs. I have a rooster and 26 hens. I got 25 eggs today. A new record. Considering that it's usually about 15 to 20 degrees here, I think that's fantastic. My neighbors are loving the free eggs, also. Everybody is surprised that they lay in the winter. I chose the ones that I got because they said they layed right thru winter and didn't need any heat as long as they had a coop to get out of the drafts. They are doing great. One of them lays a lot of double yolked eggs and last week she layed two eggs that were well over twice the size of a large egg. 2 3/4" long. Just HUGE.
    Oh. My brug cuttings are doing really well and I am getting a lot of seeds germinating from the seeds from BGI. So far, so good.
    Bill

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bill Glad to see your seeds are on their way..
    We had chickens for a while.. Fowl don't fair so well around here.. And that dang rooster was meaner than a junk yard dog.. Gave it to the neighbor around the road.. It was a gift he just came without a card..LOL ;0) Hubby never would eat the eggs.. He said the yoke was to yellow.. DUH Fresh egg.. Of course I don't do eggs often..You should have seen his face when I served him a Duck egg for breakfast.. I wish I had the video of that!! LMAO

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Lenette, what a great gesture in adopting those KW chickens, and they already gave you eggs! You must have lots of chickens by now, LOL! BTW, I emailed you a few days ago with questions about eggs, and also sent you a pix of my calicos.

Wow Bill, that's a lot of chickens and a lot of eggs! Wish I had the space for more.

Kylie, what's wrong with your hubby that he doesn't like fresh eggs because they are too yellow??!!! Would have been great to video when you served him that duck egg and then you could have put in on YouTube, LOL!

Oh ya, about coupons ...

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Eloise...I am enjoying the chicken stories.. So lets see some pic's.. I miss having chickens..

13 years ago

Eloise: Hi just found your email but can't see any pics of the fuzzy butts lol! I gave up keeping track of how many chickens I have. The yard keeps getting smaller with all the plants and chickens though LOL.

Kylie, one of my sons refuses to eat the eggs now that he sees where they came from (I suppose) LOL! Everyone else here loves them. I trade eggs with people for stuff. One guy near us gives me tons of healthy treats (veggies,grains etc) for the chickens in exchange for a few dozen eggs once a week.

Bill sounds like you have a good flock going there. Some of mine do better laying through the winter than others but I am in a milder climate. I have a white leghorn and a red sexlink (golden comet) that hasn't missed 1 day laying since last spring. Most chickens deal better with cold than extreme heat, it is the shorter daylight hours that reduce thier egg laying in some breeds.

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have probably told ya'll this one before BUT.. I had this Rhode Island Red hen.. She was crazzzzy.. She slept in the garage with the dogs and would lay an egg each day on the porch .. I loved her.. When I would work in the garden she would pace up and down the fence just carrying on till I let her in to up root everything in site..We gave a lot of eggs away the dogs got the rest.. I could actually dress her up with a straw hat..I posted pic's yrs ago.. I wish I still had them..
    Then I had the baby duck that lived in the bathtub..
    Kylie

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Kylie, I like your story about your RIR!

You asked for it, LOL! I have another hen that is some sort of mix, but no pix of her.

These two, six-month old barred rocks were running after my 4 y.o. GD, and she was running after the other hen. The BRs lay some beautiful eggs, and the unk hen lays white eggs.
    {{gwi:450872}}
    These next two are calico cohin bantams. The first one is a little over a month, and she was named 'Ariel' by my GD. The black one is a little over two months and her name is 'Jasmine'.
    {{gwi:450873}}
    {{gwi:450874}}

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How cute!!!!

13 years ago

Awww kylie your rir hens just wanted to help you lol.

Eloise: Very cute babies. I love those big ol feathered feet. I have two barred rocks as well. We used to raise only leghorns and BRs along time ago. My Brs are named Barbara and Roxanne. One lays a pinkish biege egg with faint purple speckles every once in awhile.

Here's my chicken story: I had my first leghorns when I was five. There were really my grandmas but once I saw them they were mine. They were my partners in crime. I used to throw them over my grandmother's back fence into the widowed nieghbor's backyard. You see, she loved kids and loved giving them CANDY :) My grandma didn't allow us to have candy unless it was for a special occasion or something so I liked to visit that old lady and get all the buttermints I wanted :) SOoo...the chickens went over the fence and I had to go over there and get them. My grandmother clipped thier wings one day and those chickens still managed to fly over that fence and that's when I got busted!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Eloise they are so cute. I just love the fuzzy feet. I'm so jealous. I'd love to have a little flock of my own. We do get fresh eggs from a neighbor. Not sure what kinds of hens they are but we get all kinds of pretty color eggs.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Thx Kylie.

Lenette, that is a funny story, and it shows your personality. Did you get in a lot of trouble growing up, LOL! I sure did!

Here's one of my stories: I used to roam this huge hill behind our home always day-dreaming about different stuff, and would get home and tell 'stories' about animals I saw up on the hill and pet birds I had. I would backup my stories with bird feathers I found or sometimes abandon nests. One of our neighbors had a bird in a cage outdoors, and I coveted (good word, lol!) that bird. At night I would stay awake plotting how I could take that bird so I came up with this brilliant idea. We had a can of red, latex paint in the basement and I envisioned painting the bird red so no one would know it was the neighbor's gray bird (now I know it was a mocking bird). I talked my younger brother into helping me steal the bird. We did, and brought it back to the basement where I started transforming it into a beautiful red bird. I put the brush with red paint on its head, and the feathers all stuck together. I couldn't understand why that was happening, after all, in my mind, the paint flowed easily, LOL! A couple of days went by and I sold the bird with red clumped up feathers for a quarter to our neighbor on the left. The owners of the bird found out, and I was in BIG, BIG trouble, and on top of that, had to return the quarter :-( Sometimes my brother brings up about when I turned him into my accomplice.

Thx Karyn, I love the fuzzy feet also, but won't be adding more of these. I am saving the space for some Easter eggers (green and blue eggs) and marans (dark brown eggs).

13 years ago

Haha thats so funny. I can't believe you painted that poor bird rotfl..! We colored my mom's chihuahua with markers because it was such a mean little $**! lol. Yep I did get in lots of trouble. Spent lots of time in the corner LOL!

Did I tell you I hatched silkies a few mos ago?
    Blue and blue splash
    {{gwi:450876}}
    The yellow one here on the left is a buff silkie named Tater Tots and the other one is a white (now we know its a little roo named Einstein)
    {{gwi:450878}}
    Partridge Silkies
    {{gwi:450879}}

Since its the brug forum, I will post another seedling that finally bloomed for me this fall
    Rosalla x Golden Lady
    {{gwi:450880}}

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Lenette, I thought about it being the brug site as well, but Kylie used the heading of waaaaay ot so figured it was o.k., LOL! Beautiful brug, congrats! Poor Chihuahua, good thing it didn't have much space to be painted on by markers, LOL! OMGosh, those silkies are so cute! Is 'partridge' because of the mix or coloring?

13 years ago

Yeah I just threw the brug in for good measure lol. I thought about looking up a coupon link to post but was too lazy :D
    The partridge is an actual color in silkies. The one in the front of the pic is of poor coloring though...too orangy. The others look more like they are supposed to at that age. Do you believe all 4 of those in that pic are girls? I got pretty lucky on that whole hatch. I only have 2 roos, the white one and one of the splash are the only roos. Thier topcrests have all gotten huge since they were born a few mos ago.

I should be getting some Crele colored Polish eggs from someone in March. They are pretty rare.

• rmbill
    13 years ago

The chicks are real cuties but the Brug is AWESOME. I love it. Any chance of getting a tiny cutting of it in the future?
    Bill

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Great thread Kylie!
    I do use coupons sometimes but I get them out of the
    newspaper.
    Love the chicken pics!
    I used to have a coop and Silkie chickens and some banties
    I would love to get another coup built again, fresh eggs are so much better.
    What kind of chickens do you have Bill? that is wonderful
    that they still lay in winter months!

Karen

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

Y'all's fowl talk brings back memories I haven't dredged up in many a year. We usually had 1-2 dz mixed birds (Reds, Whites, and always some feisty little bantams) My first chore was to let them out of the chicken hse every day and get them in before sunset. The big girls were no problem but the bantams had a real 'mind of their own' and didn't like being herded back every night. At least the guineas and peafowl flew up into the trees to roost so I didn't have to chase them...and who needed an alarm clock with those things when the sun came up.
    Thanks for bringing back the memories!
    Will

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Karen, I have 2 of each with a single cuckoo maran (freebie) and a couple of triples. The rooster is a light Brahma (feathers on the feet). In all I have thirteen different breeds. Reds, whites, buffs, blacks, silver laced and a checkerboard. The cuckoo maran looks like a barred rock but lays chocolate colored eggs. I Dukes mixture. I got these chickens for the fun of it but my wife took them over. She has a couple that follow her around until she picks them up and pets them for a while.
    Oh yeh, My Brug cuttings and seedlings are kicking butt, also. Maybe pictures soon.
    Bill

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

My Mountain Magic is blooming again! Guess it's liking our weather. BTW, I got a surprise yesterday. Was feeding my four society finches, and now I have six! Don't know when the two hatched, but they are already feathered out.

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lenette That is to die for!!! Is that your cross???

Eloise congrats on your new babies that must have been a surprise..LOL

Karen this thread is for posting ANY THING you want..It said OT..LOL

13 years ago

Thank you. The brugmansia is one of my crosses from a few yrs ago that just finally bloomed this fall before it froze here. It is one of those that likes to get tall first I guess. It had a few darker blooms after that one, so I think (and hope) it will get darker blooms on it in the spring.

eloise I didnt know you had finches. Those babies are sneaky that way. I used to have zebra finches and lovebirds. They all kept having so many babies that I finally gave them all to my mother LOL! I still have our parrots though. I always wanted to get some of the Lady Gouldian (sp) finches. They are so pretty.

Hey Will, guess what? I have guineas too lol. They sure are some characters! Wild, crazy and super wierd but also loveable. I think they make good watchdogs. They let us know the second anything out of the ordinary is going on.

Bill your (or shall I say your wife's) friendly chickens sound like some of mine. I have this one blue ameraucana female who I named nasty Nellie because she wants all the attention and sticks to you like glue once you enter her pen. She is nasty to the other chickens who try to get attention. Alot of ours are sweet and want to be petted...even the roosters. I go outside and yell, "Hey Babieeeesss" and all these big ol evil looking Roosters come running up to get petted lol.

• rmbill
    13 years ago

We find the chickens very enjoyable to have around. We usually spend a while most every day just standing and watching them. Weather permitting of course.
    Bill

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Kylie, I was surprised for sure! I immediately called my dd and told her about it, and after picking up my gd from school, I brought her over to see the babies, LOL!

Lenette, I used to have some zebras. A friend would always give me her babies and I bought a couple, but mine never had babies. They always laid eggs, but never hatched any, while my friend's zebras kept having babies! Eventually, they either died or disappeared from the cage (have them outdoors) and I ended up with one female society finch. A lady recently advertised society finches for $5 each so I bought three (supposedly 1 female, 2 males). Those Lady Gouldian finches are beautiful, but I'm not paying up to $100 per bird as some are selling them for!

• davidgun21
    9 years ago

Previously I am also looking for a grocery coupon online. I discovered that everybody wants to conserve money for other things so instead I seek to save money in these troubled times. Coupon cutting is one method to save cash on household goods and other products. But not every cent may be worth the cost of earning it. Made popular by a TLC reality show, "Extreme Couponing" can, for some, become a fixation that consumes their lives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extreme Couponing