Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainblaine456

overwintering brug inside

mainblaine456
12 years ago

I brought in my huge brug for winter as it is in a pot. It has lost all of its leaves (a good thing considering the aphids multiplied on the leaves quickly once it was inside)

My question is it ok that it's inside with no leaves? I water it sparingly, since i assume it's dormant. I'm hoping it will bounce back to life once outside in the spring. The blooms are huge and smell like heaven!

Comments (5)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

If you have it in a warm room and it's given some sun, it will continue to put out new leaves, (however they'll be lighter green and not as lush) and it will more grow slowly and give you a few blooms throughout winter. That's been my experience with indoor brugs 2 yrs in a row. Enjoy!

• Rubby
    12 years ago

I took a couple of small 6" cuttings from my Brug in October. Stuck them in a glass of water for about 3 weeks until they just began to grow roots. I then stuck them in 4" pots with soil and stuck them in a basement window. Basement is not heated and they only get direct sun for 2-3 hours every morning. They have actually been growing, but rather slowly. Winter has been relatively mild up until now. I am thinking they will begin to go dormant seeing they are near the window. We are starting to hit single digit temps and they coldness is coming from the glass window. I am surprised they have done this well seeing the cuttings did not (and still do not) have any bark

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Rubby-
    Congrats on your rooting brug babies! Just a word of caution, (if you don't mind me saying so,) new cuttings will not go dormant if they are exposed to cold temps, but they very well may rot. Brugs are tropicals and need warmth - especially when they are first starting to root. Let the soil go dry between watering, and make sure the temps don't get below 50*. Just my experience after losing many many cuttings! :)
    best wishes!

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Rubby,
    Kasha is right,freshly rooted cuttings do not have enough stored reserves to last through dormancy,her post is right on the mark.

• Rubby
    12 years ago

Thank You to both. It has been good so far. I rarely water.

They have outgrown their 4" pots and I have repotted them into larger pots. I am not sure of the temp in the basement, but would assume around 50 degrees. Although may be colder close to the window.

The best part about this was that it was just an experiment. I had to cut back my larger brug anyway and just thought I would try to root & grow the cuttings. Last fall was my first time owning a brug so I figured I would learn by trying. So if it ends up rotting, then it ends up rotting. It would be a good learning experience to learn what NOT to do next winter when I am more prepared.

Thank you for your input. It is always welcome.... :-)

PS: The wife is talking about getting a space heater in the basement to keep it warm. Not for the brug, but for herself. However, it would help my brug as well.

Sponsored