Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
origami_master

tomato diseases affecting brugs?

origami_master
14 years ago

Hi! I'm usually on the Canadian forums, but thought I'd pop in here to ask for advice from members with more expertise.

I had some disease that took my tomatoes last season (either wilt or blight) and I was wondering if it is safe to plant my brugs in the ground (not where the tomatoes were growing)? I've read that tomato diseases *could* spread to brugs but they're usually a bit more resilient.

Also, I noticed that some cuttings developed a sort of green transparent patch near the tips of the leaves. I was wondering if anyone could diagnose possible causes? By transparent, I mean if you hold the leaf up to a light source, the edge around the tip lets a LOT more light through and looks like there's nothing between the leaf; it's hard to explain...like looking through green jello.

Comments (6)

• vaskirt
    14 years ago

Hi there,

Planting Brugs in the ground won't cause disease. I have also read that Brugs can be have the same disease as tomatoes, I have never seen it.

The leaf problem you are talking about sounds like it could mosaic virus, but without seeing it I'm not sure. Mosaic causes the leaf to have areas that seem transparent, and mottled looking. Post a picture for us to see.

Hope this help a wee bit.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Hi, I cannot help you with the brugmansia question, but I can tell you how to get your soil healthy from the tomoto blight or wilt. All you have to do is buy some cornmeal from the grocery store, and incorporate it into your soil. You can replant tomotoes again, just put cornmeal around each plant and scratch into the soil. My husband loves to plant tomotoes, when this happened to him, after many years of bumper crops, he made a call to the radio garden expert Bob Webster, and explained how the bushes started to turn a yellowish brown color, stopped producing hugh tomotoes, and the small ones ont he plant had a black spot on the bottom, he had to finally just pull them up they looked so bad. He thought just like you, that the soil was infected, and he would not be able to replant there. We added the cornmail, and last year replanted tomotoes and bell peppers, and had another great year. It also works on rose bushes with black spot. Barbra,

• chena
    14 years ago

Great info Barbara!!

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Brugs and tomatoes are susceptible to some of the same diseases. I had several brug plants suddenly collapse with total loss of leaf turgor last summer...dug them out and off to the incinerator. I had to contact the folks at CG regarding something else and posed the question to them. The gentleman there said yes, brugs are susceptible to verticillium wilt and other maladies affecting tomatoes and that wilts can be spread via airborne means. I guess I'd just play it safe and use containers in that area if you still want your brugs there.
    Will

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Last year the tomatoes on the East Coast were hit by late blight that just about wiped out all tomatos. If you go to the tomato forms you can see what I mean. I lost all of my tomatoes to this desease no matterwhat I tried. The cornmeal suggestion can't hurt.
    Harold

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

The black spots on the bottom of tomatoes & peppers is a calcium deficiency. Crushed eggshells dug into the soil fix it.

You can spread tobacco mosaic disease to tomato relatives (& Brugs) from cigarette butts in the garden or even from your hands after smoking. Keep the smokes away & wash your hands before going in the garden.

I would probably be inclined to keep your Brugs in pots but if the tomatoes have a disease that is catching, insects will happily spread it from one to the other for you.

Linda