Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to safely use miticides in cold weather

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (willbeane2000@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 15:59

I obtained some Avid with intentions of using it for spider mite control (always have an outbreak during winter but nothing so far....said softly cuz I know it's coming).
After reading the label I'm trying to think of how I might be able to safely apply this in my basement...

the only thing I can figure out might be to have some sort of enclosure/tent to contain the mist/droplets (will likely use a hand mister). I was thinking of trying to find one of those small 'window' greenhouse kits that has several shelves. See if I could cut a hole and seal around a long armed vinyl glove like vets use when...well won't go into that here, but you get the idea.

This seems fairly elaborate but I'm for sure not going to be just spraying in the basement for my furnace to 'distribute' around the house - much less me in a confined space even w gloves/mask etc.

If you've used this or other miticides/pesticides which shouldn't be inhaled I'd really welcome you advice.
...and no the garage isn't heated and it's waaay too cold here in MN for even a quick trip outside.

I'll probably post this in a couple of places and share any good feedback.

thanks for your thoughts,
Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to safely use miticides in cold weather

OK, all the feedback received has been overwhelmingly negative on using anything of this sort inside. I'll just continue my current program of regular watering and humidifier.
Now....do you wait til an outbreak starts or is neem oil effective to prevent colonization....have any effect on eggs?
thanks everyone.

o

Hi Will- Gee, I just sprayed my basement for aphids with narry a thought of it being circulated through my home via the furnace! Don't know about your other concerns. Good to see you're still here!

o

Having enjoyed brugs for years, I have had my battles with bugs too.
The only material that I use in my home is Ultra Pure Oil, mixed with water at 1 tablespoonful oil to 1/2 gallon of water, for those who make larger amounts, this is 1 liquid ounce to one gallon. I spray it on all parts of the plant with a recycled Windex bottle (trigger spray bottle). The oil is effective on all life stages of mites, eggs to adults, aphids and what ever else might crawl around. Not toxic, it is in a nut shell mineral oil and emulsifiers so that it will mix with water. Works by suffocation, the oil covers the insects, cutting off their air supply.
I place the affected plant in my shower stall, spray away, allow to dry overnight, and then wash the shower (the oil can be slippery when wet) the next day. When you properly apply the oil, control will last for 4 to 5 weeks.
Of anything you can use, other than plain water, this is the safest for people and pets. No odors, no residues.
For plant safety, use below 85 degrees and do not use on blooms. Read and follow the label instructions.
Have used this on my brugs indoors for decades.
I would NOT use Avid, Floramite, Sanmite or other pesticides inside my home, and I am a professional grower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here