Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byrd4460

Florida Sink Holes

byrd4460
14 years ago

I am very concern after the frigid cold, Now we have

some major sink Holes POPPING UP in central Florida.

Right now we have about 5 sink hole has open on major

Highways here and it don't look good. They have

all these radars looking underground and are trying

to find how large of a void they can detect

underground.

I Wonder how much the cold weather could have had

an impact on whats taking place.

Chocolate Brug

Comments (14)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

CB now that is another scary thing happening. Just like the earth quakes in CA recently.

You be careful and stay safe!

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Chocolate Brug, this is not good news. Be careful, and be safe!!
    Ingrid

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

There used to be sink holes around here. Ours were from old coal mines collapsing.

Linda

• byrd4460
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just learn
    They are blaming the increase in sinkholes on the strawberry and produce growers for pumping so much water out of the aquifer in such a short time, before it could be replenished.

They pump all this water trying to save their crops
    and their crops are still If not loss Badly Damage.

Chocolate Brug

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's kind of scary. I've seen a sink hole open up in a road before but never near where I live. I hope there's no damage near you.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Our streets are collapsing, caused from all the damage during hurricane Ike last year. They keep telling us the damage to the Seawall was "cosmetic" but it does make you wonder.
    Earthquake off the coast of Haiti today too.
    Tally HO!

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

That is scary. Hope you don't find one of those while driving. There was a whole subdivision in Louisiana that sunk when they drilled for oil nearby there was a salt dome underneath it and when they pumped the water out it collapsed. Unreal!

• figara
    14 years ago

This year started kind of scary. I want to hear good news.
    CB stay safe.
    Pat

• kayjones
    14 years ago

I live on the beach in NW Florida and we had two major road lanes collapse in our town recently - HUGE holes - yep, it's scary all right!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

More then scary by now :-(

Lucy

• danasplants
    14 years ago

Strawberry farmers cause this running that much water for that many days the acwafer proably didn't spell this right drops 60 ft it creates this bad thing.That are homeownwers insurance does not cover sink holes. Goverment should step in and make them stop using the water wasteing it and buy frost cloth. This is a multi million dollar business the can afford to bite the bullet and buy it. Some growers have already started using it. Dana

• princealbert
    14 years ago

I wonder why this has not made national news like the mudslides in california.
    Has anyone taken pics of any new ones near their towns?

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Wow CB, that is scary. Especially since they can collapse in a matter of seconds! We've had that happened in L.A., usually due to water pipes breaking under the street.

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

I remember the sinkhole problem from when I lived in Florida in the 90's. It's not new, but has it gotten more pervasive? I'm kinda wanting to do a FL visit in April, I may contact you if so to visit and view your brugs.
    Diane

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES