Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Plant seeds in Zone 7B-8A

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 16:39

I received some brugmansia seeds in a seed swap and am new to this area - just started my first cuttings last year and am clueless about brug seeds. I am in Zone 7B-8A (SC). The seeds will need to be sown outdoors or in my garage which has windows but no heat. What do you recommend? Do I wait until spring or summer? Has anyone gotten brugs from winter sowing? How deep should I plant them and any special moisture or light or darkness concerns?
Thanks for whatever help you can provide!
Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Plant seeds in Zone 7B-8A

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 16:54

Seeds are easy and yes you can start them in the house.. Here is a link with a lot of helpful info.. BTW Welcome!!

Kylie

Here is a link that might be useful: BGI

o

I agree with Kylie. Start them indoors. If you have the space and decent lighting I'd start them ASAP. If you start them early enough you might even get blooms by late this growing season but don't be discouraged if they don't flower until the second growing season.

o

Welcome to this forum, and good luck with your Angels.

Ingrid

o

Thanks for the welcome and the information! I'm sure I will be back to visit and get advice again. I will try to get my seeds planted near my kitchen window so they will have light and indoor heat. I have very little space for indoor plants, but I will give them a try. If they sprout, I will post to let you know.
(I'm glad I asked about his now. Before the response, I was thinking I would not plant them until late Spring or Summer.)
Jeanne

o

Good luck Jeanne!

I started seeds about this time last year, the first batch I lost (didn't know I was suposed to remove the coating) but the second batch sprouted and grew FAST! I don't have much space or light inside my house, but they germinated fairly quickly!

Frances

o

Brug growers, thank you again for advice. I planted my brug seeds and some have sprouted. This will be a learning experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here