Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vissara

My First Brug Cuttings

vissara
13 years ago

Hello

I got some cuttings from Kasha77 a few weeks ago and this is what they look like now...

{{gwi:451866}}

{{gwi:451867}}

I did get all 8 to root, but lost 3 during the move from water to soil. Still, that's a far better survival rate than I get from the roses.

These guys will be transferred outside in April so if there is anything I need to know about keeping them inside between now and then it would be appreciated. I already had one round of mites trying to get them, but tabasco/dishsoap spray made short work of them.

Comments (16)

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Congrats, you are doing good!

• chena
    13 years ago

Looks GREAT!! So.. what have you got in the mini greenhouse there?? and what are your little sprouts??

Kylie

• vissara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The glazed pot nearest the camera has a Red Ginger a friend brought back from Hawaii, the thing with the plastic bag on it is a plumeria cutting from the same friend.

The mini greenhouse currently has Pride of Barbados and Pink Pride of Barbados in it.

I decided to try something new and revamp my patio area with a tropical look and the Pride of Barbados and Brugs SHOULD be able to overwinter here with some protection.

I started things early tho, so I could baby them inside for a while and develop maximum roots before next winter.

• chena
    13 years ago

WOW!! you have a good start on the season.. I can't wait to see your Summer shots!!

Kylie

• vissara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, previous gardening projects have taught me there is still plenty of room for fail, but I am hoping things go well.

And I've only really jumped the season by a month or so. We usually get our last frost date here at the beginning of April so I'd've been starting seeds in another month or so anyway.

• chena
    13 years ago

You know you are going to have to get a Banana to go with all of these Trops you have going..LOL

Kylie

• vissara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

*grin* Ordered a Pink Velvet from Willis Orchards, it'll get here in April.

• marquest
    13 years ago

vissara You also need some cannas. LOL

I pack my patio to give it the tropical look. I get a lot of compliments when I have a cookout.

You cuttings did great, I lost 3 out of 12. I guess it was not to bad. But I lost the doubles and that was what I really wanted.

• vissara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cannas and some passionflower are both in the plan, but since they are unquestionably hardy here those will be easy to find at local nurserys in a few more weeks, no scouring the web for seeds and trying to develop strong roots pre-winter required.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    13 years ago

AND you'll need a palm tree and a rice paper plant (tetrapanix) and bamboo! I have a tropicalesque garden here in Oregon and I love it when people stop and look at my jungle. One little girl was walking with her mother. She stopped and said "Look at all that nature!"

I'm going to try brugmansia cuttings again this year; I haven't had any luck so far, altho a mature plant that I purchased did live in-ground for 2 years before freezing. I was lucky enough to see them growing as trees in the jungles in Belize, and I just fell in love.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Vissara!
    I'm so proud of you- you're doing such a great job with those cuttings! They're growing so fast!
    Rainydaywoman- I'll bet you could have a gorgeous garden filled with brugs there! I'd love to see some pics of what you have now!!
    kasha77

ps-
    feel free to check out my photo albums-
    http://www.ibrugs.com/users/kasha77#showtab=photos

• vissara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you both!,

Rainydaywoman, when you had them in-ground did you use any winter protection? The bed I am planning to use is long and narrow so I am toying with the idea of plastic-ing it over for the winter. Providing I get plants through the summer anyway lol

• chena
    13 years ago

You Z 8ers should be safe with a heavy pile of mulch.. Taking cuttings is always a good idea just in case.. not all Winters are created equal..LOL I am Z8 and leave some in the ground to Winter over each yr.. They always come back .. but takes a while longer to produce blooms..

RDW I would love to see your pic's as well. I would love to grow Rice Paper! That is such a Beautiful plant.. They have it at the Botanical Gardens in FTW!

Kylie

• rainydaywoman_z8
    13 years ago

I'm making a new tropical garden in a different part of my yard,& I'm excited to have the winter time to plan & start some new plants. A friend has a rice paper pup waiting for me and a pot of bamboo Nigra. I've ordered a Thai Giant colocasia, which looks very exciting.

I hate to ask, but does anyone have a teeny-weeny brug cutting I could have? I'll send postage, or even my eldest son (and he's cute). All I have for trade right now is white datura metel, which is very beautiful. I'm soaking the seeds to see if they are viable. In spring I will have tons of Euphorbia Chariakis Wolfenii, one of my favorite plants that grows like weeds from self-sowing.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

If you don't mind a suggestion I would take that bag off the plumeria cutting. Only water it once when you plant it and keep it warm and on the dry side until it starts making leaves. They rot really easily and live off the moisture stored inside them until they are rooted.

• vissara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no, I am all for any suggestions. I've had it in that pot for months. It isn't rotting but it isn't doing anything either *sigh*. My sister had started them successfully before and suggested the bag, but it doesn't seem to be making any differance.