Houzz Logo Print
figara_gw

Few blooms to brighten your day!

figara
12 years ago

What's blooming now...

Seedling PP x (DDR x A.Flight)

{{gwi:452367}} {{gwi:452371}} {{gwi:452373}} {{gwi:452376}}

My shredded white is such a reliable bloomer. I have blooms on it all the time even in winter :-)

:-){{gwi:452380}} {{gwi:452382}}

My hibiscus is trying to open up...

{{gwi:452384}} {{gwi:452386}}

My pumelo tree.

{{gwi:452390}}

Have a wonderful weekend.

Pat

Comments (15)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I love pumelos! I'd never heard of them until about 4 years ago and thought it was a giant grapefruit. The brugs are beautiful. It warmed up here and temps are in the 60's but everything is already dead. I've seen the odd forsythia and snowdrops blooming but that's about it.

• figara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Like you I discovered pumelos 2-3 years ago and I love them. Last summer I bought this tree and now I have pumelos. Soon I'll get to try them for the first time. Hope they will be good. About 3 years ago I bought a Tangerine tree and the fruits are not very good. I am looking now into grafting it.
    The buds on my Strybing Vulsa fell off :-( A few are coming again. Will see what happens.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Who do you get your citrus trees from? Have you ever bought from Four Winds? If not give them a try. IMO they have the nicest grafted citrus trees and are in CA. They also have wonderful customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers

• chena
    12 years ago

How nice to see blooms!!!! Your x is really nice..What does a Pumelo taste like??

Kylie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Kind of a mix between a grapefruit and a tangerine, yummy!!!!

• figara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karyn, I bought mine from a local nursery. Next time I'll try Four Winds. Thanks for the link.

Kylie, pumelos are yummy. You should try one :-)

Pat

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Beautiful cross, and the hibiscus looks like it is going to be a beauty (please post a new picture when it opens). Congrats on your pumelo tree Pat! You've done better than I have with your tree. I bought one several years ago, but it hasn't fruited for me. I think keeping it in a pot and planting geraniums around it is restricting its growth. I'll plant it in the ground and see if it takes off. Pumelos are so tasty, and since they are big, there's a lot there! Which tangerine do you have? I have a Satsuma and it is fairly good.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I had a satsuma for a few years. The fruit was really tasty but I never got many. I got rid of it when I purged the greenhouse of the majority of my fruit trees. Now I kind of wish I hadn't. I only kept a couple citrus, a Kaffir lime that I use for Thai cooking and a variegated pink lemon just because it's pretty.

Who was it that was growing babacos? My biggest fruit just dropped but it wasn't ripe. I cut it open anyway just to see what it looked like and the inside was kind of pithy/spongy. I know they aren't supposed to be like that and was wondering how a properly ripened fruit tasted?

• figara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do , Karyn but I haven't try it yet. This is how they look today.
    {{gwi:452394}}

• chena
    12 years ago

They sound good.. Grapefruit is my fav citrus but I can't eat becoz of meds!!!
    Pat that is beautiful.. I can't wait for them to ripen.. very cool!

Kylie

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Pat, that is so neat. I have never seen those before. It sure looks healthy and nice. Great job.
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Pat those look great! I have another babaco with a couple fruit but they are still small. I was surprised that this other tree began flowering in Oct. The bigger babaco got it's first fruit early in the summer. I was bummed that it dropped because it was close to full size but the plant dried out and got relly stressed while I was away. You'll have to let me know how they taste when ripe. I hope the flavor isn't too much like a papaya. From what I've heard it's supposed to be different.

• figara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not know when I am suppose to harvest.... The fruits are on the tree since last summer and are growing very slow.I think the temps have to do with it. The tree is outside next to the house. I moved it there when the temps started to cool down. Now the temps are very low (under 40) at night and these fruits still hang in there. All the new ones are falling off. I'll let you know when I try one.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I believe that they turn yellow when ripe.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Pat, great looking babaco! I had one in a small pot and it was about 3' tall, and moved it into a larger pot and now it looks dead :-( Definitely wait until they start turning yellow.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop in Franklin County