Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Outward-Facing Brug. Flowers ?

Please give me your suggestions.

I'm looking for a yellow/apricot/orange/peach Brug. that has flowers that face outwards instead of hanging. Any color, or combinations of colors would be fine. Flower size: preferably smaller than usual. Plants may be full size, but I'm looking for smaller flowers.

I have no idea where to look for plant descriptions, or registries that describe hybrids Brugs.

Any help, especially references to retailers who have these type plants would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Comments (15)

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Frank, That sounds very nice but I have never seen anything like that. All of mine hang down. Good luck.
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Here's an old ABADS registry list. You can no longer link to pics but there's a short description and you can look up pics of what looks interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: brug registry

• figara
    12 years ago

Maybe the plant you are talking about is Datura not Brugmansia. Datura is closer to the description you are talking about. A lot of times I've heard people talking about datura but they were calling it brugmansia.

pat

• duane456
    12 years ago

I had this one a few years ago that was named candida pink by a generous donor.---{{gwi:452576}}

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill, Karyn1....

Thanks so much for the quick response.

Bill, you obviously know more about the varieties than I, so your comments were a little disappointing. I was sure somewhere there might be a variety that has floweres that face outwards. The plant-quest now starts....

Karyn1, thanks for giving me a place to start looking.

Much appreciated.

Frank

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Frank,
    The type of brugs that you are looking for are the Aurea type. Some of the named ones are El Dorado,ArchAngel,Bernstein,Goldenes Koronet,and a lot of others.The Aureas have outward or slightly upward faceing flowers known in the brug world as "nodding or semi-nodding",and are smaller plants. The key word is Aurea,search for them,and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.
    Dan

Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan..

You have no idea how many hours of searching you have saved me. I'm new to the Brug. "world" so I know almost nothing about what's available. Too many of the Brug's. I want to grow, are mostly found in Europe...but I just recently bought two plants that will be sent to me when the weather in NYC warms up. I bought "Miami Orange Glow" and "Gold Traum" for starter plants, but I think I would like to add some upward facing Brug's. to my limited collection.

Thanks for the great information regarding the Aurea-type hybrids. My search has taken a new turn in the right direction. Much obliged.

Frank

• Bob_A
    12 years ago

Beautiful plant, duane456.

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Duane456,
    Hope you don't mind but I looked through your album on PB,and wow,you've been holding back on us ! Fantastic pics,and fanfastic yard. Please,if you have any newer pics,please post them.I love the butterfly,do you still have it ? I love the arueas and aurea crosses. She has one of the sweetest scents dosen't she ? please post more pics if you have them,they help brighten up these dreary winter days.
    Dan

• duane456
    12 years ago

dan---I no longer have the butterfly. I've cut way back on my Brugs(just don't have the room for them all). I'm trying to find a select few that do well here in the pac. northwest. Thanks for compliments. I spend most of my time on the winter sowing forum.
    Duane

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Duane do you grow any of the sphaerocarpium brugs (arborea, sanguinea, vulcanicola)? They'd probably do great in your climate. The only one that will do well here is the arborea and even that won't bloom until late fall.

On another topic, have you seen "Lisa" back under a different name yet? I haven't noticed a new one since Palmer.

• arghyagardengirl
    12 years ago

Ruffles and Flourishes blooms almost horizontal flowers, similar to Rothkirch.

{{gwi:452577}}

• gordonhawk
    12 years ago

Frank... Bronx figs... are you growing in the Bronx of NYC.
    I had a few aboreas a few years ago.. but I believe I left them out or gave them away... also volcanacola type brugs are mostly not hanging but nodding.. but they will be even more difficult to find and harder to grow..
    BGI has a data base of lineage.. and characteristics..
    write to me.. perhaps we can get some cuttings to you... or maybe seeds... would you like t try your luck with a few seeds..

• duane456
    12 years ago

Karyn---did you ever get my email? Just wondering.
    Duane

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the late responses to the latest postings, but thanks so much for all the added information. The photos are beautiful.

I'm waiting for my new Brugs. to come in the mail next month, and can't wait to start growing these "danglers". Now I will look into the horizontal flowers too.

Thanks again for the flower info.

Happy growing to all.

Frank/BronxFigs