Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Seeds

karyn1
14 years ago

There's loads of seed pods on my mom's pink nerium oleander and lots of Murraya paniculata (orange jasmine) seeds too. There's also seeds on the Schefflera Arbacola. I had no idea it even produced flowers much less seeds. I think they are ripe but have never tried growing it. If anyone wants some I'll bring them home. Post here if you want seeds and I'll collect them. FYI the oleander sprouts quickly and the orange jasmine takes a while to germinate but grows pretty fast.

Comments (28)

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Hi karyn, If she does have any Red oleander plants with seeds, i would like some of those. I already have the pink :)
    BTW i also had no idea that schefflera Arbacola flowered! I have the variegated one and im actually tihknig of getting rid of it..
    Siam.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

:-) I do, pretty please

Hope your days are getting better and better. Have you defrosted yet?

lol Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

Schefflera.. Blooms?? I sure didn't know that..
    I hope you are having a Great time..The weather sounds wonderful.. Are Bruce and the kids going to be able to come for a few days??

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Orange Jasmine please. Take a picture of the Schleffera flowers or pods too.

Have a great time!

Linda

• sekhment
    14 years ago

I would love some seeds to. Thanks very nice of you
    Thanks
    Cassie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry Siam she only has pink oleander. I had no idea that the arbacola flowered. I'll take a pic tomorrow. I can also get star fruit seeds but not sure how many. It depends on the number of ripe fruit I can get. Each one only has a couple seeds. Bruce and the older kids are stuck in MD. Finals are this week and they can't miss school. I'd love for them to come down.

• figara
    14 years ago

Oh star fruit seeds sounds good. I'll try some if you have.
    Thanks,
    Pat

• mld9373
    14 years ago

do you have any seeds left,if i'll will do any seed,just let me know where to send a A.S.A.E.

thanks

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pat I'll save some for you. mld9373 I'm offering to collect seeds for regular posters on this forum while I'm down here. That's why I didn't post on the seed exchange forum. If I have extras I'll post there.

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

I would love to some of the pink oleander and a seed or 2 of the star fruit if you can get them extra.
    Let me know what you need.
    Its warming up some here how is Fla? Hope you are enjoying your trip.
    Hugs
    Dorothy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I picked about 10 ripe fruit and there's some over ripe fruit that's dropped that I can get seeds from if need be. The weather is nice and warm, almost back to normal. Lows were in the low 50's last night and it got into the 70's today. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. All I'm doing is sitting by the pool and reading my book : )

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Orange Jasmin seeds Please? I will pay postage please let me know, Thanks a bunch marcie_new, I come and go but I always check in whenever I can, when I first joined this group,I had so much more time for plants and things now my days are full with worry drs appointments,meds and such,plus work and everyday living(surviving),and trying to keep my plants alive, and my sense of humor Thank you all for reading.Marcie_new

• chena
    14 years ago

What are you reading??
    We had 56* today and that was a heat wave..LOL
    Kristy will be in town for a fishing tourny and Hubby will be home for the weekend soooo Looking good to me!!

Kylie :O)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

You mentioned star fruit. I still have the one little seedling hanging in there that I started from seeds last winter :-) It is about 3-4 " tall :-) got it from the seeds that I took out of my neighbors fruit she gave me.

She has all these exotic fruit trees and is getting me hooked fast lol

Lucy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a couple star fruit trees from seeds I collected here last year. They seem pretty easy to grow but I have no idea if the trees will produce decent fruit or if you should plant grafted trees for fruit. I just grow them as a curiosity but I have seen small trees with fruit in a greenhouse. I just never thought to ask if it was seed grown or grafted.

Marcie of course I'll collect some orange jasmine seeds for you. The other person that requested seeds that prompted my reply has only posted on GW 3 times and 2 of those times they were asking for plants and/or seeds. If I have extras I might post a SASBE offer on the seed exchange but I purposely posted this offer here for people that chat on this forum.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Siam, I have hugh Red olanders, but do not know where to find the seeds, if you can tell me, I will harvest some for you. Your best bet is to contact Jim Potts. He is dealing with patented hybrid olanders, and is now in the process of crossing his own hybrid plants. This is his new love, he is really excited. Ted Turner the owner of Turners Gardenland in Corpus, is where he is getting his plants, Check them out on google. You know Jim, he will be famous someday, with prize winning plants. He always give 200% when it comes to trying, him and Barry, just have something magical when it comes to plants. I talked to him around the first of the year. I think he would be willing to share seeds with you. If so, I can pick them up, and mail them to you. Barbra,

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

Karyn...if you will, please...may I have a few of the Orange Jasmine seeds? I do appreciate it.
    Margaret

• figara
    14 years ago

Karyn, I am glad that is warming up and you can enjoy reading and sitting by the pool. Is the pool warm so Kyle can play in it?

I would like to try the Orange Jasmine seeds too if you have extra.

Enjoy the sun.
    Pat

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oleander seeds are easy to find. You'll find pods that look similar to catalpa pods but smaller. Maybe the size of a long string bean. They'll turn brownish red as they ripen. Pick them before they split because the seeds have a fuzzy parachute thingy on the end that carries them away in the wind. Here's a pick of a ripe seed pod that's split open.

Here is a link that might be useful: oleander pod

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Karyn, thank you so much, I will look for them when we go back in February. Siam, I have hugh dark red and two that are just about 3 yrs old, they are a lighter red, I will check for both. Barbra,

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Thaks again guys :) Karyn and Barbra... you are Garden Savers!!!!
    Siam.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found some fruit from a passiflora suberosa. Not sure how many will contain seeds but I should have enough for a few people, at least, and the germination rate if these are planted fresh is very high. It's not a showy variety but it is interesting looking. It grows wild down here. I also found Rosary Pea vine seeds. It's a nice looking vine but can be invasive in frost free areas. The flowers are a light purple but it's the seeds that really catch the eye. They are bright red with a black spot. They are also extremely poisonous so if you have children that don't know any better I wouldn't plant them.

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Thank you Karyn I apreciate this, someone said red oleander,I have read that cuttings take,easy to root, I have not tried this but if you like I can get some cuttings for light pink dble oleander,red single,white single, yellow-beige single, from what I understand the cuttings should be pencil thick in order to root easily let me know and I can get those cuttings if you are interested.The seeds well its kind of late cause the seed pods already opened and there is very few seeds if any left hanging on the bushes.

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Hi marcie_new
    I cant recieve cuttings through the mail, only seeds. But thanks though :)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Mom's oleander's seed pods are split about half and half between ripe and unripe pods. Some of the pods are far from ripe. It seems like there's always pods on the oleanders here. I guess because they bloom year round down here. I didn't know that they were hardy in zone 8.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Siam are you sure that you can't receive plant material as long as there's no soil? I think the length of time it takes to get there would be more of an issue.

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Hi karyn, The time would be too long, except for epiphyllums :). i havent tried it before, but i should call and find out more info on Monday.
    Siam.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Me, me, me...I'll take some of all of them please...lol

Just kidding Karyn, as I already have too many seeds (did I even really say that?) that need started this year, due to so many of them getting age on them.

Hope you are having a great time. It sounds like you are having fun collecting seeds to share anyway.

Just thought I'd post here in fun after reading your recent post at SX.

Sue