Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akat71

Fungus knats

akat71
14 years ago

I think I have fungus knats on two cuttings I bought this fall. The have been wintering in the house due to their size. I have repotted them into smaller pots with new soil and place a glass of apple cider vinegar next to them. I see see knats. Is there anything natural I can stray on them indoors?? Do they eat the roots?? HELP!
{{gwi:452679}}New Folder

Comments (13)

• sekhment
    14 years ago

I'm still new, I havent had a bloom yet I just started this fall. I think you need more perlight in the soil.
    I still have had a nat but only two that i have seen and im out there preening all the time lolol. I hear bug are very hard with brug's bug lovem
    good luck
    Cassie

• princealbert
    14 years ago

akat71
    Try this link to another post here on GW. It is about using mint tea to get those fungus gnats to go away.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farnorth/msg0403050716235.html

copy and paste the link to your browser, or just type fungus gnats in the search box here on GW.

princealbert

• danasplants
    14 years ago

You bought those this Fall and they have no growth on them?

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

Your fungus gnats lay eggs in the top 1-1 1/2" of soil; they like an overwatered plant that never dries out. Scoop out the top layer of soil and replace it with fresh potting soil. This will get rid of alot of the eggs, and the gnats which are crawling around in there. Try to do this outside so any gnats disturbed fly away instead of onto your other houseplants. Water your plants so that water just flows out the bottom of the pot, then let them dry out again to where if you stick your finger in the soil up to your first knuckle it's dry. Keeping this top layer of soil from remaining moist prevents the gnats from having a happy breeding ground, and it's better for the plant anyway.
    There is a soil drench available online called Knock Out Gnats. If you can't keep the gnat population down to a minimum with the above method you may want to look it up and order it from Gardens Alive. Sometimes gnats are almost unavoidable in the winter, but it's possible to minimize them.

• chena
    14 years ago

Here is a little info for ya..Beautiful floors!!!

Kylie

Here is a link that might be useful: gnats

• akat71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kylie - thanks for the floor comment
    I repotted them into smaller containers and the knats appear to be gone, but the cutting on the right feels very soft like it's dying from the inside out....
    They were just cuttings when I received them with no foliage. I am new to this but have been trying to baby them over the winter..I will try and water them less to try and knock the fungus down. I did notice some mold on the top soil last month.

Thanks to all that commented!

• danasplants
    14 years ago

It happens they will look wrinkly shrievled squeeze it a little there empty I cut that part off maybe can save it. I have with tiara but lost a maya and battling it now with jamie too heat I thinks the secret think about it the floors the coldest part of the house. I keep them moist not wet and not dry

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Dana(?)- welcome!

I sometimes get gnats and the brugs usually grow so fast they are no problem. I keep my seedlings sealed in plastic for as long as possible because gnats are a problem for these little guys with their baby root systems.
    You should have growth on those two cuttings by now. Do not water them until the soil is very dry. What are the varieties?
    I could just about throw some brug cuttings your way nearer to Spring, as I am nearby, just to the east of you on the other side of Lake Lanier, near Gainesville. Email me and we can arrange to get you some more cuttings or plants if you want to expand your collection!
    ~Brenda

• danasplants
    14 years ago

Thanks for the welcome! Thinking about this knats are so small a small fan just enough breeze should stop them from hanging around. I am new here have been a dave gardener for a 3 yrs If you belong there you can check out my trade list Seems to me the verigated are alot harder to root I have almost 50 cutivars and only the verigated were really tough. This spring going to be looking to replace them.

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Sorry, Dana, I was replying to the wrong person! But the welcome still holds! LOL!
    I actually use the sticky flypapers- the long roll, super sticky ones, and if the gnats are bad the papers fill up pretty quickly with the adults- that means thousands of little flying nasties!!
    The fan is a good idea- it works for aphids somewhat, I hear! Guess I'll have to check out the mint tea link! Thanks, PA

• akat71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner...my basement flooded yesterday (yes it's finished)! Now have to start dealing with contractors...
    I cut off the squishy part of the stem and will let them dry out well. I hope they can be saved. I bought them on Ebay and they didn't have any growth when I received them, but it was last fall.
    Thanks for the replies!

Happy Belated Birthday Brenda!

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Remember my offer to load you up with brugs, Kitty, later toward Spring! Good luck with those two you have. Let us know how they do!
    Thanks for the birthday wishes!
    Sorry 'bout the basement! Ouch, everything okey?
    ~Brenda

• chena
    14 years ago

Oh Brenda.. I wish I was still in GA. I would cash in on that offer..LOL

Kylie

Sponsored