Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrugs

Thanks EVERYONE... long post warning

luvbrugs
14 years ago

Thanks EVERYONE:

Chris contacted a local tv station that investigates when there are frauds like this. They said they will try to get in touch with him.

Guys, i cant tell you enough how much we thank you for your support. Chris thinks you are an amazing group (I already knew that) he may start taking better care of my brugs from now on, hehehe. He really feels better after reading all your posts. thanks again.

Now, totally OT, i need to ask you your opinion on something, some of you know we have been trying to get an IVF, I have always wanted to have a baby, we dont qualify to adopt because of chris's disability, i am hearing impaired too, so go figure.

However, I am a teacher, he gets his pension, and we live very comfortably. We think we could try to give a baby a happy home. But just now, after nine years, trying everything, and every doctor, i managed to save enough for my ivf (teachers dont have insurance coverage for infertility) We consulted with a nice dr. and everything is ready, and I am getting cold feet. I dont know anymore if i really want to change my whole life and bring a little one into this world, or if i could face the pain of a failure if the ivf doesnt work. On the other hand we have no one in this country, i would love to give my husband and myself someone to love and share our lives with if one of us passed away or got terribly sick, i know that is so selfish, i dont mean for a child to take care of us, i just mean to know there is someone there to love us and that we lovel.

If you were in my shoes, would you do it? what if it doesnt work or if I am not a good mom?

Comments (11)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

oh boy. LONG ONE alright. Not of the length...but the depth of it.

Glad that the TV station is trying to help and hope it will be resolved.

As for putting a child in this world to be there when you are older...I have seen many parents left alone...because something happened down the road and they are not even talking with each other anymore.

What if the child moves to another country? Like I did...it broke my heart to leave my mom behind when I came back 3 years ago....BUT....life just takes you in different directions.

Now having thoughts of having to change your life...well Karyn jump on in lol.

My co worker tried IVF for many years and finally gave up after the health coverage did not pay for it anymore.

To bring a child into this world is a big responsibility. But to be able to give that child all your love...all you know about the world...do the best you can....there is nothing greater in the whole wide world.

No matter what happens down the road as they get older.

Just my thoughts on this.

May you find the right answers...which on that one...it is really just what we THINK...but what to do...that is only something you and Chris can decide.

Hugs
    Lucy

• figara
    14 years ago

I am glad Chris took action and contacted the TV station. If they do not call you back do not despair and do not pay a penny. There is nothing they can do to you.

Yes, we are a great group of people united through the love of brugs and the love of each other. We are here to support and help each other from gardening through other aspects of life.

Luvbrugs, with or without IVF I think all or most of us asked ourself the same question...'what if I am not a good parent??' What is the answer? In my case... I think I was a good mom most of the time... in a few occasion I doubted myself but I am sure that ALL THE TIME I tried to do what I thought was best for my son at that particular moment. What can I say...parenting is not an easy job :-))

I like kids and if I could not have had one I would have opt for an AVF.

Good luck with your decision.

Pat

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Sounds to me like you want to share your love with a child.

Huge changes with children. Mine are 22 and 20 now but not quite on their own. Some days, I think we shouldn't have become parents. But, most of the time, I am overcome with this intense feeling of love when I think of them.

I don't think Chris's disability or your hearing impairment should have any affect on your ability to adopt or to have IVF. If you are interested in adoption, have you exhausted all options? I'm surprised that agencies aren't delighted to have responsible parents for a child. Chris being home is a plus, not a negative.

My cousin and his wife adopted a son many years ago. Both my cousin and his wife have life-threatening illnesses dating back to long before the adoption. In fact, it was due to her illness that they adopted a son. Her physician had indicated she would not be able to carry a pregnancy to term. A couple of years later, they had another son. Even with the parents' illnesses, they were some of the luckiest children I know. Both boys are adults now. They are fine young men.

I know the prospect of failure with IVF is frightening. It can be devastating if you can only make one attempt. That's why I ask if all possibilities for adoption have been checked.

Whatever you decide, don't worry about what other people think or say. It's your life.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

All I can do is tell you about my neighbor Marilyn, she came to one of our neighborhood meetings, she was an elderly lady, really nice. She told me that her and her husband were planning on adoption. they had a little girl, everything was set , and just before the final paperwork was done her husband found out he had cancer. So they stopped the paperwork, They never adopted. Her husband died, she said that was the one thing in her life she regreted. She would have made an excellent parent, and I think you will too. Just another option, my cousins have been going to Poland to adopt children, they have been blessed with some of the most beautiful and bright children. they were too old to adopt here in the USA. Barbra

• peanut01
    14 years ago

I certainly would be sure of yourself before you make the decision to undergo IVF. It is a very difficult and stressful experience at times. It was the most rewarding thing that my wife and I have ever done in our life.

Here is my wife and my little miracle:
    {{gwi:453224}}

Also if you are thinking about doing it then there is no time like the present(of course heed the warning in the first sentence). The longer that you wait the lower the chances. That is why we are considering doing it again soon even though insurance in VA does not cover it. If you have any questions about the process I would be happy to share my knowledge on the matter.

It is an amazing process and I even considered becoming a fertility doctor after going through this with my wife.

I don't want to say IVF is the only way since adoption is available as well. My neighbor adopted 1 and did IVF once and that worked for her. My wifes best friend adopted through a local who she found herself that was unable to provide proper care for herself yet alone a child and that worked great for her. Also one of my coworkers adopted 3 children from China which was full of obstacles but now she has some of the nicest/best mannered children that I have ever met. SO whatever route you go just be sure to weigh all of your options and also that you and your husband are on the same page.

Moments such as this do not occur if you do not take a chance. Good night.
    {{gwi:453226}}

-David

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Oh how precious she is! A beautiful little miracle in that pic~ I don't know what to tell you about your decision but I feel like you should follow your heart whatever you decide. I don't feel like your and husband should be disqualified from adopting but don't know the rules. I know with mine they are each so very different. My boys were and still are a handful but my daughter has been a joy. Just getting to the teenage years so that could change, lol. I don't think I would do it again at my age and with my health especially with no family close by to help. I can't even keep up with my plants like I should sometimes. Make sure you husband feels up to it as well as you. Its a lot of work. If you feel you and your husband are able to do it I say go for it. If it fails you will have at least tried if its what you really want to do and if not maybe an opportunity will come up to adopt somehow. Good luck and best wishes.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

David she looks like a little doll. I'm surprised that VA doesn't require ins coverage for IVF. In MD any ins that covers maternity also covers a minimum of one course of IVF.

Luvbrugs I think all parents question whether they'll be a good parent. That's only natural. It's a huge responsibility but the majority of us do just fine. Whatever course you decide to go I'd begin soon. I'm not sure how old you are but the older you get and the longer you've been together as just a couple the more of an upheaval it is. We waited 10 years to begin a family and then had an unexpected surprise 8 years after we thought we were done.

If you do want a child and IVF is an option I'd go for it but would also start the wheels rolling with adoption at the same time. A private adoption might be your only option with your circumstances but that's the route that most of my friends have taken and they've built wonderful families. You might also want to consider becoming a foster parent. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

David you gave me the chills ...the best kind!!! You said it all and pictures speak a million words!!

Your miracle is beautiful!!!But I am still looking for your wife? lol

Lucy

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

There are lots of options and you will know which one is right for you. Have you considered foster parenting a special needs child? A friend of mine at work, single mom, 2 kids at home, works full time as a respiratory therapist. Became the foster mom of a beautiful boy that has muscular dystrophy. He was a twin and his mom took his healthy twin sister home from the hospital and left Michael. Michael had never known what it was like to live outside a hospital. I think he was 4 when he come home with her, she was allowed to adopt him back in October, they have been together for 3 years. Michael has flourished in her home and has learned to walk and talk and is learning to eat and she is making plans for him to attend school in special ed classes. Even though she has now adopted him the state is still providing around the clock nursing care (he is sometimes on a respirator,has a tracheotomy and feeding tube) so she can still work. She took him once to the hospital that he was at from birth and he threw a fit until she got him out of there, she thinks he is scared of being left alone again. Michael may have more medical issues than you are willing to deal with, but I think it is beautiful that someone could find it in their heart to overlook his imperfections and love him like a parent, and btw Mom was one of his first words.

Mary

• chena
    14 years ago

David!!! What an Angel.. Great pic's!!!

There is nothing scarier nor anything more rewarding than having children..I don't believe there is a single parent that does question being a good parent or can I afford this..LOL and it is not always easy.. Sounds as tho ya'll would be wonderful parents.. If you don't do it you will probably be wandering from now on what might be..
    You never know this might just be your miracle!!

Way to go Chris!!! I bet the TV station will be very interested in this story.. You could be saving someone else from the same treatment..I still think they
    SU** ...LOL

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Good luck luvbrugs on whichever way you decide to go.

David, what a cutie!