Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagrdnr

Dark Pink/ Red Brugs

pagrdnr
16 years ago

Hi everyone I have a question about the dark pink almost red brugs. I'm talking about brugs such as Mountain Magic, Earth Angel, Painted Lady, Ma BellE Ami. Is the color usually as dark as the pictures show or is it more often lighter pink? Do you find the color to be darker in the hotter weather or cooler weather?

Comments (37)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I have a couple dark pinks that have already bloomed and they are definitely pink, not red or close to red but they are a beautiful deep pink. My brugs colors are much more intense during hot weather. During cool temps many are so much lighter you wouldn't know they were the same variety.
    The only reds I know of are the Sanguineas and I can't get them to bloom where I live. I think it's just too hot during the summer and they need moderate temps year round to bloom.
    Karyn

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

The only 'dark' pink I have is Santa Rosa. It starts out lighter, then turns darker as the bloom ages, and probably is its darkest a day or so before it falls. It has bloomed inside and was much lighter than when it blooms outdoors (higher light levels help). This coming summer will be the true test, as it's going in the ground in May. It's a lanky plant, but the blooms are really huge.

{{gwi:453785}}

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Dave, thanks for the Pink lift!!!!

I have only seedlings that are dark pink- no reds, and as Dave says, they start out lighter and then turn darker as they age.

• lindaca
    16 years ago

I saw a picture somewhere on the internet of a red brug
    (not a sang which won't bloom here too hot)that someone was holding a tomato next to. It really looked red. I think it was seeds on e-bay. I would love a red brug that would grow here.
    Linda

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the picture was photoshopped.
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

I am assuming brugs are like other plants in which the color is affected by many dif things..amount of sun, soil, temps, fert, etc. So one person's flower of the same plant may be a very dark pink, and another person's could be lighter. All depends on the conditions..I always use a picture as an idea of the color, not expecting..but hoping, lol..to get that same color.

Linda, Yes I saw that also..that is "Spot" I believe, absolutely gorgeous!

• pagrdnr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone. Yes I know sanguinea is the only true red but some of these dark earthtone pinks are pretty close I was just wondering how often the blooms are actually that dark or if it only happens under the perfect conditions. I still might get a Mountain Magic someday. Linda I believe the picture you are talking about is called 'Superspot'. It is a German Hybrid I think the picture is on the ABADs website it sure is a beauty. Thanks again for the replies everyone.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

SuperSpot is the one I'm GaGa over!!! There were some seeds offered at auction that were a cross of SunSpot, but the price for 5 seeds went way over $25. Too much of a gamble for me considering they might just come up pink or white!!!! Gloria

• chena
    16 years ago

The Fall blooms on my Santa were very dark.. It was a first yr plant so it didn't bloom in the spring.. I hope she will show me what she's got come Spring

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

'Super Spot' gets tomato red, so it is claimed by the German breeders

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I don't have any dark ones blooming age yet. I hope to this year though and yes that is the german super spot you are talking about that he says gets red like a tomatoe. I have seen pics of a rubirosa that looked pretty dark. Good luck.

• greenthumbs2000
    16 years ago

gloria, glad to read that the little baby is coming along. she should grow big and have plenty of blooms for you this season.
    what i particularly like about the PL is her form, she has beautiful flower shape and long tendrils, she also sets seeds extremely easy, all the crosses i made on the last flush took and i have bunches of seed pods developing.
    in my garden (and greenhouse) PL is the reddest brug, a deep pinkish red almost as red as the bricks on our house.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Greenthumbs2000: So glad to hear what you had to say about PL. I lost a cutting of her earlier this year, and then a few months ago bought another cutting. This cutting seems to be doing well. Her pictures are so pretty, happy to hear she will live up to the pics! I luv blooms with long tendrils. Really looking forward to seeing this little girl strut her stuff! Thanks so much for the input. Gloria

• greenthumbs2000
    16 years ago

gloria, i thought i sent you a PL cutting (very small) and that's the one you were referring to.

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

The deepest pink I had was this seedling. She had three siblings a smidge lighter and the other 4 were medium pink.

{{gwi:449548}}

Brenda

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's a beautiful color Brenda. Do you know what her parents were?
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Greenthhumbs: Yes, I beleive that's the one that is surviving. Thanks for the healthy cutting. She is still small, but putting out some little leaves, so as far as I'm concerned she is doing what she's supposed to be doing!!! She is living in a 32 ounce plastic "cup." and I will not be transplanting her until she puts on more growth. As long as PL looks happy and continues to grow, I'll keep hands off! Thanks, again, Gloria

• kinkajoulover
    13 years ago

I took a pic of one in San Diego county in April that was red-red. I have one now. It is never that red. It is so puzzling. Will post the pic if I can figure out how.

• chena
    13 years ago

Would love to see a pic!

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Super Spot finally has buds and a couple are just beginning to unfurl. No color at all yet. It will be a day or two before they start to color up. I have no idea how dark a pink the blooms will be but they are supposed to be pretty dark.

• pagrdnr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn my superspot bloomed last fall and the blooms did get nice and dark, but I have also seen pics of it just pink. I guess it is just like a regular brig and the color changes with the weather.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The buds are still green and pretty tight. Hopefully they won't get battered as we are supposed to get T-storms most of the week. We desperately need the rain.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

I started reading and noticed Gloria's post. For a second I thought she had started posting again!

Karyn, looking forward to your pix of Superspot. My MM only had a couple of blooms, but the heat got to them. I suppose the weather has a lot to do with the coloring, but it can also destroy the bloom :-(

• Betty Levar
    13 years ago

I had Superspot last year and was quite disappointed. In fact I got in touch with the nursery and he assured me it was Superspot but I just found it to be a pink brug. I had it planted in the ground. I gave it to a friend. Perhaps in your environment the colour will be more tomato coloured.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

It is good to have something as a frame of reference in photos with the brug because different cameras and lighting can make a difference either lighter or darker. Also make sure to buy from a reputable source. For example here is one of my hybrids Rosalla x Pink Perfection
    it looks way lighter than it is in the photo because my camera always makes the pinks/reds lighter grrr. So I used a cherry Twizzler from my dd's Halloween Candy on this last fall so you can tell what color it is because most people know that cherry twizzlers are pretty dark reddish pink lol. The inner skirt is darker than the outer on this hybrid.
    Anyhow here's the pic
    {{gwi:453786}}

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

SJN, that's really beautiful. Good call on the color comparison too. I have found my Santa Rosa to bloom darker outdoors, and darker as the bloom ages. It starts a light pink and eventually turns a deep coral - yes, with an orange tinge to it.

13 years ago

tommysmommy: Thanks. Last fall the Twizzle brug (as dh is calling it LOL) had quite a few blooms that were double and then it had some single blooms after that. Then came winter..This spring it started out with a few singles and went to doubles again all summer. I have a few other Rosalla crosses that get both singles and doubles on them too- its wierd! The inner skirt has dropped alot since last fall so the flowers are looking better. It has a nice soft fragrance.

I really like Santa Rosa too. It is one of my dh favorite brugs. It turns a deeper pink with age here too. I seem to get the best colors on all my brugs in the fall :)

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

SJN
    did your Santa Rosa grow like NN, getting really tall before it Bloomed, mine is taller than an arch, also too compare it, it is taller than the next door neighbor's chain link fence

Elizabeth

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Lynette that is a gorgeous brug. I'm such a sucker for any bi-colored ones. I really hope the SS colors up. The blooms have opened but they are extremely light, kind of a yellowish with faintly darker stripes. My regular pinks are much darker by the time they've opened this much. I will say that the bloom itself is quite big and a nice shape. Will post pics later.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Plantlover, Santa Rosa is my tallest brug and likes to bloom when it has reached it's height. Mine is probably 6.5-7' tall.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Tommysmommy
    Thank you for your responce, I can't wait too see it Bloom

Elizabeth

13 years ago

I agree Santa Rosa does get huge - mine got bigger than Naughty Nick last year. Cypress Gardens, Temple Goddess, Stawberries and Cream, Adeline (and some of her crosses),and NOL are also huge monsters pushing 8-9+ ft.

If I can get mine to overwinter without cutting back too much they can all get pretty tall but last winter a lot of stuff got the tops froze even in the greenhouse.

• yayaoneil
    13 years ago

I have a dark pink brug and do not know what variety.
    Can anyone ID it?
    It starts out lighter and then turns dark.
    Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

• chena
    13 years ago

Hey!!
    There is no way to know for sure with out genetic testing.. If it comes to you unnamed then it stays that way ..A NOID (no ID).. That does not take anything away from the Beauty.. And that Brug is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kylie

• arghyagardengirl
    13 years ago

Here's Berkonigin. Starts out light pink, then ripens to this color. It is especially dark during "magic time" just as the sun is going down. The best time to take a picture.

{{gwi:453787}}

And here's one of Dola at night.
    {{gwi:453788}}

...and Dola in the daytime.

{{gwi:453789}}

• yayaoneil
    11 years ago

I bought this one with the name, "Painted Lady".
    It was the darkest and most symmetrical one so far. I bought some other brugs with
    the same name but they WERE NOT the same.
    I'm in Crosby, TX.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Boy, I'll tell ya, it is so hard to know exactly what you are looking at and apparently, easy to be fooled. The brug above and the one at the link below are supposed to be the same: "Painted Lady". I know it has to do with cameras and lighting (and sometimes Photoshopping), but I wish photos of brugs were more consistent. I love the Twizzler Brug, SJN!!

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay Painted Lady

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!