Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maile_2010

Variegated Brugs

maile_2010
13 years ago

I am looking for a variegated brug cutting or plant to add to my collection this spring. I know Kartuz Greenhouses have them for sale but I would like to see what fellow bruggers have to offer first or trade.

I am looking for one that has the most stunning variegation. Something that would WOW garden visitors.

With the checking that I have done so far, I've come up with these; 'Snowbank', 'Variegata', 'Peaches and Cream', and 'Maya'.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comments (19)

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Sent you an email.
    Margaret

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Jerry
    Peaches & Creme is one that I have, it does so well with
    over wintering in my basement, also it grows tall, has Beautiful Blooms that start out white then turns Peach
    I can share that one with you for postage in the the Spring
    if you're interested?
    Elizabeth

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The ones with the most striking variegation (the most contrast) are Snowbank and Miner's Claim. Maya probably has the least amount of variegation.

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Are we talhing about variegated blossoms or leaves?
    Bill

• maile_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Foliage, Bill.

Jerry

• caflowerluver
    13 years ago

I have Snowbank and it does have very striking foliage. The creamy pale peach flowers are nice too. It was suppose to be a very peachy color but mine never did get very dark. It grew quite tall in one year and survived a couple of nights down to freezing without much damage. I would recommend it.
    Clare

• karyn1
    13 years ago

My Snowbank's flowers were a light peach as well, but it did bloom late in the season, when temps had cooled down.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

If anyone has some extra cuttings of Miner's Claim and Axel Rose for postage or trade, I'd really appreciate it! My Axel Rose cutting bit the dust last week! :(
    Thanks!
    kasha77

PS- good to see you post Claire!

• chena
    13 years ago

Miners Claim is a B to root..

• karyn1
    13 years ago

MC is a temperamental brug period but it's so pretty. It's also hard to find. I think that Logee's occasionally has it but I wouldn't buy anything from them.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Karyn-
    Maybe Miner's Claim isn't worth the effort- I'd probably have better luck trying it in the spring with a plant or cutting. I was just looking at Logee's- pretty pricey. Is that why you wouldn't buy from them?
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The only way I'd ever buy from Logee's is if I was in CT and could visit personally. What they send is a joke, especially for what they charge. The last time I purchased MC I paid $8 for a nice size plant in a 4" pot. I have no idea what Logee's charges but whatever it is I'm sure the plant would be miniscule.

• grrrnthumb
    13 years ago

If you want to wow your garden visitors...

'Peaches & Cream', being a versicolor, will have the largest blooms and the most blooms at one flush, very impressive when it does pop. They all hang straight down. It does tend to get a little shy on foliage volume when it's putting all that energy into blooms, but overall, IMO, is the most impressive for a one-time flush.

'Maya', a Candida, will have slightly smaller blooms held out at a slight angle. They may come in flushes, but tend to spread out a little more over the whole season. It also seems to be one of the easiest to grow and maintains good foliage volume all through the season. The best IMO if you want a all-season good looks with a reliable grower.

'Snowbank' & 'Miner's Claim' both tend to be the best-looking in close-ups, but as was mentioned above, they're not vigorous growers. Many people never get these to really thrive, and you don't see a lot large-specimen garden photos of them in bloom.

'Variegata' is a shorter plant with smaller, puckered leaves. It has nice sauveolens-type flowers that are different from the norm. Probably not as impressive as the first two out in the garden. Also beware that you could possibly receive any other variegated brug accidentally under this name.

- Tom

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Tom-
    What do you think about Jamie?
    Thanks!
    Kasha77

• chena
    13 years ago

Kathy Sunset in a nice Variegate and it thrives in the heat and flushes often..
    Plant Delights usually has MC.. They send nice plants but the shipping is high..

Kylie

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Kylie-
    Thankfully, I have a trade line up to receive that one this summer!
    Thanks for the tip-
    kasha77

• grrrnthumb
    13 years ago

Kylie 'Sunset' = 'Maya'. :)

Kasha I haven't grown 'Jamie', but I know a few experienced growers that have gotten rid of it over Stranglebrand concerns. Don't think I would risk it. It is a sport of 'Charles Grimaldi', so it will grow similarly: does well for many, but subject to disease in Florida & higher humidity climates.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Thanks for the warning Tom, it's pretty humid here in NC in the summer.
    Kasha77

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Karyn..thanks for that info regarding Logee's. So many
    times I've been tempted to order several different plants
    from them...then...I'd consider that container size.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm