Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figara_gw

When a seedpod is ready to harvest?

figara
13 years ago

I have a seedpod on Rosalla from June/July . It is a bit yellower and softer than the one I have on PP(aug/sept) which is green and hard. Could the Rosalla's seedpod be ready to harvest?

Never had a seedpod and need help.

Thanks,

Pat

Comments (18)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Pat-
    Yes, it's signalling that it's ready to harvest. Good time to sow them too. Nice and fresh!
    Congratulations!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

If you can push your fingernail easily through the pod go ahead and pick it. The seeds should be anywhere from tan to black. They'll be tightly packed together. Just separate and spread them out on some paper to dry.

• figara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathy and Karyn. I checked again today. The upper part is softer than yesterday but I am positive there are no seeds there. The middle is softer than the other green seedpod I have but I guess is not soft enough. Unfortunately I just cut my nails very, very short because I am tired to see dirt under them :-)
    What could happens if I leave it longer?
    Do you have to dry the seeds and than plant or you can plant them right away? Hopefully would be some viable ones.
    Pat

• karyn1
    13 years ago

There's no problem leaving the seed pod on. Why don't you think there's any seeds? How big is the pod? If it's a decent size I'd bet that it contains seed. You can sort of roll the pod between your fingers and you should be able to feel the seeds if the pod's soft enough. Ripe seeds not only vary in color but they also vary in size.

The seeds don't need to be dried. You can plant them immediately and you don't have to peel them if they are planted while still moist. If you are going to mail any I'd let those dry so they don't get moldy in transit. They only take a few days to dry completely.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I still have some dried ones on my brugs from last year lol. I kept thinking I should pull them off all summer long but never did...they are waaayyy up there on the tree.

• chena
    13 years ago

Congrats Pat!! The stem will also start to yellow.. Sounds like it is ready to go to me... Do you have pic's??? LOL

Kylie

• figara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The upper part started to get mushy and I was afraid that seeds will rot so I cut it off. This is my first cross Rosalla X Phenomenal. I am very excited.
    Kylie, I can send you some seeds if you want.
    Pat

{{gwi:454102}} {{gwi:454103}}

• chena
    13 years ago

Pat I would love to have a few.. Thanks!!!! I Let me know where to send you some postage.. Very exciting!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Pat those look ripe. Do you want to trade any for some Emerald Frost x Day Dreams seeds?

BTW Randy was surprised that your Vulc held buds and bloomed. I sent him the link to your pics.

• figara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn, I would gladly send you some. I think I have your addy somewhere. If I do not find it I'll send you an email. Thanks for your offer but I have to pass it because I have another seedpod who will be ready in a few weeks (Pink Perfektion X Salmon Perfektion)and a few small seedpods OP on different other brugs.

I sent Randy an email with the pictures but the email came back. I thought he changed his email when he moved.I sent him another one this morning to see what happens.
    Pat

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Pat,
    I would be interested in planting a few of your seeds if you have any left. I have nothing to trade now but will pay postage. Email me if you want to do postage.

Thanks,
    Jerry

• chena
    13 years ago

Pat the seed arrived Thank You so much!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Pat they were here when I got home. Thanks and if you change your mind about the EF x DD let me know.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Pat- would you a few seed left over for me to send you some postage? I'd love to try them too. If not that's ok! Congrats and hope they do well for you! They sound like a wonderful cross!
    kasha77

• figara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad that everyone received their seeds. Good luck in growing them. Hope everyone will get something special out of them.
    Now, I am in Pampano Beach Florida, with limited internet access. Kathy , I'll talk to you when I come back in couple of weeks.
    Pat

• chena
    13 years ago

Hope you have a Wonderful time.. Enjoy all the warmth while I sit here and shiver..LOL

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Pat I never should have come home! We got about 8" of snow last night and of course the schools are closed and will likely be closed tomorrow as well so Kyle wouldn't have missed much. I HATE THE COLD!!!!!!! Enjoy yourself and go check out Butterfly World. It's close to Pompano. The gardens/conservatories are beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly World

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Thanks Pat, looking forward to hearing from you! Hope you have the best time ever, enjoy the sunshine! :)
    kasha77