Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

Opossum in my garden!! & earthquake info.

siam_cannas
14 years ago

hi all for the past 3 nights i havenseen an opossum running around the garden especially on my mango tree during the night time from around 8pm.

I read they eat snakes!!!!! its a miracle. im so happy that it came! i have no idea where it goes during the daytime.

BTW the earthquake in Haiti was horrible, sad that such a devastating thing would happen. I saw on TV that after shocks were felt in Venezuela, but Trinidad is only like a few miles away from Venezuela and i didnt feel anything at all! From one end of Trinidad you can actually see Venezuela on the horizon. Thank God there is no risk or a Tsunami!

Siam.

Comments (11)

• haase
    14 years ago

I also read about the earthquake in Haiti. Very terrible, and this one had such a high magnitude. I hope these people get help soon.
    They call these critters "possums" here. I've lived here for 20 years, and a possum has visited me three or four times during that time. They walk around the bushes, looking for food, and by daytime they have disappeared. I used to be very watchful when they came, because I had these two little chihuahuas and I didn't know how either one would react seeing the other species. But nowadays I don't care.

Ingrid

• figara
    14 years ago

I am so uneasy any time I read or hear the word earthquake.I was out all afternoon and I did not hear about the Haiti earthquake. I am so sorry for all those people.I'll pray for them.
    I am glad you did not feel it.
    Pat

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I've just seen the news and it is horrible.

Siam you had me scared. Glad you are ok and that even help came along to get rid of the snakes you hate so much :-)

Lucy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I'm glad that you are safe Siam. I am just now reading about the awful devastation in Haiti.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear that you didn't suffer any effects from the earthquake. The pics on the news were terrible.

We get possums in the yard periodically. I had one get stuck in an empty trash can. The kind we have here are butt ugly as adults but are cute as babies. They look kind of like a giant rat when grown but there's other varieties that are adorable. My sugar gliders are actually an Australian possum. I didn't know that they ate snakes. The only animal I knew that did that were mongooses. We did see a number of those in S. America. BTW snakes are good for your garden. They'll take care of all the criters that will eat your plants.

• knotz
    14 years ago

Snakes are ICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Sorry, but I'd rather deal with bugs then a snake...I can't even look at them in a book, even a drawing of one...WAY to creeped out...Chickens will also keep snakes away.

That earthquake in Haiti was just awful...I pray for everyone there :(

• chena
    14 years ago

So glad Siam to hear you are safe.. What a Horrible Devastation for so many people!!
    We get the iron clad possums called Armadillo's I hate them with a passion.. all they do is dig for grubs and uproot stuff.. I have made many midnight rounds to to catch and kill the little bastages...I'll take a snake any day...LOL

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Glad you are safe Siam.

A joke - Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the possum it could be done.

Linda

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Linda hehehe. I am terrified of snakes.. i rather deal with anything but snakes!!! i cant stand snakes!
    The scare me.
    Siam.

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

So glad to hear you are safe Siam.
    It`s terrible to see such devastation, they are in my
    prayers as well.

Karen

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Like everyone else I'm so glad this didn't impact you Siam.
    My workplace (medical center) usually sets up a matching fund for things like this so am waiting (like so many) to contribute. It also sends aide teams with staff volunteering...too soon right now, but hope they'll be doing that again for this.

Knotz & Siam - my undergrad advisor was the head of the herpetology section so all his advisees got to 'volunteer' for collecting trips.....and there were lots of big specimens to be found in southern Mississippi and Louisiana.

Chena - boy am I old! I remember when armadillos were just gmoving as far east as the Mississippi. Too bad they can't be trained to dig where you want them to. they can really move the dirt.

will

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH