Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Transplanting brugs from pots to ground.

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

So this year I want to transplant all the awesome cuttingsI got from Kathy and a few others to the ground. Obviously it is still a wys off from when I can do this. What I would like to know though is what are the bare minimum temps the newly transplanted brugs can handle? I wouldn't mind protecting them at night. My problem is that they have grown so well, that some are almost a foot tall now! I am hoping by late March they can go in.

Andrew

Comments (7)

• chena
    13 years ago

Hey Andrew.. Sounds like you are doing Awesome.. Some pic's!!!!! '0)
    I would say that for a new WELL ROOTED Plant I would wait till the night time temps are around 45*~50* and Day time temps are in the high 60* or low 70's. Starting out with half strength fert. or better yet organic supplements.. for a month or so before you put them out..

Kylie

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hey Andrew-
    One thing that might affect your brugs is, that you've got them in pretty warm environment right now, so you might want to wait til the outside temps get a little closer to what they're used to. They might just sit there, stalled, til higher temps come your way. Just my thoughts. Glad your babies are doing great!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Since they are still new plants I'd wait until the soil has really warmed up before planting them outside. Remember that the air temps are going to be warmer then the soil early on. I'm a zone warmer then you so I'd likely wait until mid to late May to plant them outside by you. I'd also just sink the pots instead of planting them directly in the ground. It will make lifting them in the fall so much easier. You can sink a small pot, no need to use a large container. I seal up the bottom drainage holes and cut several new holes into the sides of the pot about halfway up. This allows you to just use a sharp spade to sever the roots that have grown outside the pot when you lift it in the fall. Glad to hear that your cuttings have done well.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Great advice Karyn, I'll do that too!
    Thanks!
    kasha77

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice. I have actually been feeding my cuttings all ready with weak fertilizer and vitamin B-1. So far the brugs appear to love it!

Hi Karyn,
    People in my area normally have everything in ground by mid April. I am fortunate to have the added warmth from lake Erie, but then again, it can be diffrent every year. This fall was much more harsh than the past 2 were. I remember last November I actually got 2 mango tree in the mail. This November was terribly cold with tons of snow! I too will try your method out. Thanks!
    Andrew

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Mine will go in the ground in the next week or so. If I wait till April it'll be way, way too hot and I'll have to water daily. We're actually past our "last" freeze date though a freeze is predicted for Houston this weekend.
    Come on spring!
    Tally HO!

• chena
    13 years ago

Tally I was checking our weather and it looks like maybe we will luck out and not get as cold as they had predicted.. I am 7hrs N of you so maybe you won't get the cold..
    Of course I am leaving for Okla. tomorrow where they are calling for a wintery mix and snow.. I can hardly wait..

Kylie

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus