Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

OT- My new hobby- Growing Portabella Mushrooms!

kasha77
13 years ago

I've been wanted to try growing these for 30 yrs! So I took the plunge and bought my first kit. I started it on 1/19. 10 days later the mycelium are starting to pin! We'll be eating those tasty mushrooms soon!

{{gwi:454615}}

{{gwi:454616}}

Comments (48)

• technodweeb
    13 years ago

Wowwwwww. . . .good for you!

That looks like a lot of fun! Special light or heat requirements?

It is fun to try lots of things, isn't it?

When I didn't have any cuttings this year (sent them all to a gentleman in Florida who expressed and interest and lost lots of his stuff over the freeze last year). . .I stood there with my hands on my hips, and said now what am I gonna do with this orphan green room this year, hmmmm?

Sooooooo. . . . .I'm on a hydroponic tomato experiment. Apparently, if they're grown in water, they're much more vigorous because the roots don't need to fight for or convert the nutrients.

However, it's a bit more than just water (eesh!) Hydroponic solutions. . .air bubblers. . .the aerobic compost teas versus anerobic (no oxygen) compost teas. . .etc. . .bacterial dominant, fungal dominant. . .

Yesterday, sat there saying to myself "I didn't sign up for another science class man. . "

• vnginger
    13 years ago

Keep us posted

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Wow Kathy, that looks like it's going to be a great endeavor! Just curious, do they continue producing once you've eaten most of them or do you have to sow 'spores' again?

Hey Dweeb, great to see you posting! Good luck on your hydroponic tomatoes -- sounds like a lot of work to me, LOL!

• chena
    13 years ago

I swear I have almost bought a shroom kit ..A Hundred times and never did.. That is cool..

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Technodweeb-
    Yes- there are special requirements- it's a delicate balance of moisture, warm temps for 7 days, and then cool temps after that. Here's a great video for all of you who've always wanted to try them but were just a bit leery-
    http://www.mushroomadventures.com/t-kit_instruction_video.aspx If you watch it a few times, and do a google search on how to grow them, it's pretty easy and fun!
    My kit has a little variation in instructions, compared to the video. The main thing is, when they are pinning, (forming little mushrooms) you have to be careful that carbon dioxide levels don't build up. Agaricus species are sensitive to that. I just keep the tent off of it and make sure the casing is moist to the touch. I mist with water whenever I don't see condensation on the sides of the box. I'm hoping to harvest the spores and start everything from scratch so I'll never have to buy another mushroom again! :) (I eat them every day!)

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eloise-
    You can harvest up to 6 weeks, and then the production really drops off. The mushrooms come in flushes, every 10 days or so. When you're finished, you throw the mushroom compost in your garden. Supposedly, you can still get a few growing outdoors after that. Can't wait! I'll keep you updated with photos.
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

You are going to love them. They are so much better then store bought mushrooms. I've grown button mushrooms which were very easy and portabellas are just mature buttons. They weren't nearly as picky as the instructions made them sound. I don't remember how long my kit continued producing but it was quite a while. Enjoy.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

I tried it once, already you appear to have better luck than I! Fun stuff!

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

What fun! I have almost bought one a bunch of times too, lol. We loveeeee mushrooms. I have had them sprout in the mushroom compost I added to my potting soil once but didn't know if they were the right kind or not to eat, lol. Might have to give it a try. Let us know how they do. Hydroponics just sounds like a lot of work to me. Too much science, lol.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Somewhere on a site I recently saw where this person had their mushrooms growing on logs in their yard. Looked pretty neat.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Shitakes grow on inoculated oak logs. I'd love to try those but they look quite a bit more difficult to grow then the buttons and portabellas.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

That is really cool. I too, have almost bought mushroom kits a dozen times lol. Keep us posted as they grow. I would really love to try this.

Gosh we have dozens of downed oak trees/logs on this property and out in the woods behind us there are tons more. I swear there are vines out there bigger around than my arm in the tangled canopy of trees.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

these are the latest photos of my mushrooms- it's now the 10th day since I've started them. You can see a distinctive mushroom cap, and some are turning a light brown!
    {{gwi:454617}}
    {{gwi:454619}}

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

How awesome Kathy!!!
    Looks like your doing a great job!!!

Karen

• karyn1
    13 years ago

They look great! Try cutting one as a button (about 2" diameter) just to taste the difference from a store bought one. You'll love it.

• sommergardens
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting Kathy. I think I'm going to try growing some this spring. I have mushrooms growing everywhere around my plants without even trying so they should thrive in our summer humidity.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here we are on the 16th day- notice the size of the mushrooms compared to the quarter.
    kasha77

{{gwi:454620}}

• chena
    13 years ago

Won't be long and those will be on the grill!! Yummo!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Have you tasted one yet? They are soooo good. You're never going to want a store bought shroom again. Thinking about it maybe you shouldn't try one. You might like it so much that you won't be able to resist cutting them before they mature ; )

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can wait! I'm really waiting until they get bigger- I want to take a mature one and get a spore print to start my next batch as soon as I can. I've got the horse manure compost ready and standing by!
    LOL!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That's a good idea. I never tried doing that. I just used the spent soil in the garden.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Kathy, those mushrooms are looking good! What a great experience.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here we are on the 19th day- almost ready!
    {{gwi:454621}}
    {{gwi:454622}}

• chena
    13 years ago

They look great!!! How exciting!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

They look delicious. It's amazing how fast they grow once they are above the soil.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Yum! I see some very small ones popping up. Did it say how many spores you got in the box?

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went back and counted- it's actually been 17 days til my first harvest. (Which happened today:) I grilled one with olive oil, garlic and onions, provolone, put it on a toasted chiabatta roll with a bit of pesto, mayo, tomato,and romaine. All I need is grilled eggplant to go on it! It was great, needless to say. I used to eat these all the time sitting by the pool at the Yacht club 2 summers ago. (oh, the life of a nanny:)
    I counted 10 mushrooms-
    {{gwi:454623}}
    {{gwi:454624}}

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

WOW, they really grow fast! You're making me hungry with the description on how you used one, especially since you used all the stuff I love, LOL!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

I don't think I could have stayed out of them that long.
    I would have started eating at the quarter size.
    pa

13 years ago

Wow they really look yummy now. I wanna stuff them like the ones you get at Olive Garden LOL! Do you have to use horse manure compost or can you use bunny or chicken manure compost? I guess I could go to one of the nieghbor's and borrow some horse manure lol if I had to.

• chena
    13 years ago

Kathy I want to come eat at your house! LOL YUMMO!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

S-J-N- Yes they need horse compost. I'm going to let one really mature and start my own- from spores.
    Kylie- Come on over! I had a spinach and mushroom and onion Frittata (Italian omelette) with Provolone for breakfast. Tonight we had homemade spaghetti and meatballs with - of course- mushrooms!
    Stuffed mushrooms are for tomorrow night:)

• chena
    13 years ago

LOL OMG!!! You are Killin ME!!! I am pretty sure I have your address..

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That all sounds so good. Now I want some grilled portabellas. Might have to make DH suffer the cold and use the grill tonight. I really need to buy a new Jenn Air with a grill attachment : )

13 years ago

I watched that video and looked around on the website. Those blue oyster mushrooms look really cool. So retro, I can just picture them with a black light and some Hendrix playing in the background LOL!
    My dh always has lots of sawdust from building stuff. I don't know if I've ever eaten oyster mushrooms or not. What do they taste like?

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From what I've read, oyster mushrooms taste like- Oysters. I'm not into that flavor, so I don't think I'll try them! Back home in NY, during the spring and fall, my children and I used to ride around town on our bicycles, looking for Meadow mushrooms on everyone's lawn. They were exactly like Portobellos and were the size of your hand, and so good! We'd have a blast- like on a treasure hunt! We'd each come home with 2 Walmart bags full, hanging from our handlebars! My dear 80 year old native Indian neighbor Lucy taught me how to forage for them. This spring, I'll learn to forage for Morels here in N.C. I have a great field guide, and always take spore prints of everything before eating them, as well as studying their particular characteristics.

Now for a lesson on taking a spore print. I am going to harvest the spores, and create my own grow box of Portobellos (and save $40.00! :)
    Cut the mushroom. Cut off the stem, flush with the cap. I waited til the cap was throwing spores in my box, to make sure they were ready.
    {{gwi:454625}}
    {{gwi:454626}}
    Lay the cap- gills side down on a white piece of paper.
    {{gwi:454627}}
    Place a bowl over the cap. leave on the counter for 24 hours.
    {{gwi:454628}}
    Take bowl off the next day, and let spores dry.
    {{gwi:454629}}
    How cool is this?Looks like a giant eye, with pronounced Iris!
    {{gwi:454630}}
    I'm going to get my horse manure compost ready in a few days when I'm off from work, & I'll finish up these instructions!
    kasha77

• chena
    13 years ago

Spore prints are very cool!

13 years ago

Nice pics. Are morels the ones that will grow in the goat pastures?

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think so- those might be Meadow mushrooms. Morels look like this-
    {{gwi:454632}}
    {{gwi:454633}}

They grow in the woods under Tulip Poplar trees. Best to get a field guide and study it just to be sure.
    kasha77

• chena
    13 years ago

That is so cool!

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Really like the look of the spores' print! You could frame it as modern art :-)

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I think so too! Sorry I haven't continued any more instructions here, I'm so busy! Further info can be found at- you tube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua-bAdvxEhg
    The guy demonstrating how to make your own spore syringes sounds a little creepy- but the info is GREAT!
    Kathy

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

Here I am, one of those wannabee mushroom growers, reading all this a year later. One of my co-workers told me that he had just prepared/started shiitakes on hardwood logs in his back pasture, expects growth in the following year. This sounds too cool! I have been gardening for years, ready to try something new like this. Thanks for the inspiration! I saw a description of straw mushrooms that said that they would grow easily in **composted** grass clippings if you tossed the spent mushroom medium into it.

Did anyone else take the plunge?

--Rick in CT

• tommysmommy
    11 years ago

Now this is something I really envy. I tried mushrooms in Florida, no less, and it didn't work. Here in dry Colorado I would think it might be a challenge. But I'm enjoying your success Kathy! Munch one down for me!
    Diane

• cygnus-x1
    11 years ago

First of all thanks for sharing the mushrooms with us (at least to taste visually :-) and I hope you had good luck on your spore collection. My question is about spore handling. I watched the link you posted and yes he is creepy sounding. He kept stressing sterilization. Now nature is far from a sterile environment and mushrooms grow just fine in nature.

Does anyone know the importance of sterilization when spore collecting / processing ? I wondered if it was the 'type' of mushrooms he was dealing with. I can understabd it for the edible ones. For me I would want to do edible mushrooms and possibly a few non-edible. We have recently learned about using mushrooms to help decompose wood chips which we will have a bunch of soon. What I learned was that if you add mushroom spores to the chips it helps them decompose better. After seeing the cost of mushroom syringes I cringed. I would pay that for edibles but would probably buy a kit instead. I was considering walking around and collecting spores of normal mushrooms via the print method you described and using them on the wood chips or simply taking those shrooms and dropping them down on top and letting nature do the rest. If I need to take prints I really did not want to go through so much trouble for the non-edible ones.

Would someone with experience in shrooming touch on my question and ideas or offer better/less expensive ways of getting shrooms to assist the decomposition of the chips ?

thanks !

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're welcome! I collected those spores and never did anything else with them. I went to Walmart pharmacy and bought regular syringes for 20 cents. After a bit of searching, I studied how commercial producers grow portobella mushrooms. Check out you tube again, it's a different method than the "shroomer" guy, because he's growing psychedelic mushrooms. Commercial growers also sterilize their growing medium, from what I recall. All in all, it's way cheaper to buy them from the grocery store. I had to try it once, and it was fun.
    As to helping your wood chips decompose, you'll find that mushroom spores will attack those chips on their own with very little help from you. I'm not sure what you want to use your chips for, but if you mix composted manures or anything "green", (grass clippings, vegetable scraps, etc) the decomposition of your pile will accelerate. Check out the process of creating compost using "greens" and "browns" and you'll get the general idea. Best wishes on your new endeavor!

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

kasha
    did you grow mushrooms again
    I very much enjoyed reading these postings
    thanks

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane-
    No, actually, I haven't. I'm too absorbed in brugs! I think the thrill of growing them is past, and it's much cheaper to just buy them at the grocery store!