Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broke large stem off a datura

Posted by valeriepa z5-6 NEPA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 9:54

It was growing better than I ever imagined , as I never over wintered plants before, Large pot fell on it and split in two. Wondering if I can take branch that fell off and attempt to root the semi ripe cutting. Can I take soft stem cuttings from what I'll have to from the branch.
Anyone know what I can do to "heal" the spot on the potted datura where the branch broke?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broke large stem off a datura

Datura are not easily rooted like Brugs are. You could try but most likely it won't root. The spot where it broke off should dry and be okay. Just keep water from getting onto it for awhile.

Sometimes I take Elmer's Glue and put on the broken parts especially if it is in a spot where water can collect into the stem.
I let the area dry/heal a bit before I apply the glue and it will 'stick' better. Keep in a place where it won't get rained on for a few days for the glue to cure well.
Some people use clear silicone which comes in a tube that you use a caulking gun to apply,, Aquarium sealer (also silicone) or a product called Pruning Seal which is a spray-on tar like substance used on trees and roses etc. It is black ,though, so looks a little unsightly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here