Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
holes in leaves

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 10:15

Last year I grew daturas for the first time. I liked them so much I decided to start more this year. Last year I did not have a problem with pests, this year I have red/brown aphids. I've tried spraying with insecticidal soap and even watering it into the soil but it hasn't helped. Every time I think it's getting better I check again and there are more of them. I'm slowly getting control tho. I don't think aphids are making these holes. There is no sign of other insects, I check them every day. Any ideas what might be making these holes? Marg

photo I  <BR>MG_1635_zps95b18c78.jpg

photo IMG_1633_zpsda7d2ac4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: holes in leaves

It looks more like snail or perhaps slug damage. They will come out at night and snack on the leaves so you might not see them during the day.
For slugs you can leave out a saucer of cheap beer for them to drown in. There are different baits for snails and slugs on the market as well.
I am lucky I have guineas and ducks that like to eat snails and slugs so I don't have much experience with the poisons but they are usually available at H. Depo or Lowes etc.
Other methods involve using DE. copper tape around the plant, or going out at night with a flashlight and handpicking them off. There used to be an old thread on here detailing people using ammonia half strength and half strength water in a spray bottle to squirt the slugs with at night. You can research to see what method will work best for you.

For aphids I use NEEM if it is really getting out of control. I hate to spray anything because as soon as I do, there are the little green tree frogs or lizards looking at me lol.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:23

These are inside so I don't believe it's snails or slugs. I can't figure out why it's always the older leaves that get it and not the younger more tender leaves? Thanks. Marg

o

marric.
..check for earwigs...the rules is..holes on the edge..snails or slugs...holes in the middle...earwigs...cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here