Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

OT. I finally gave it.

honeybunny2 Fox
14 years ago

Well every year my husband wants to buy a utility trailer. and I say NO, we can just rent one when we need one. I do not want to store it all year round. Well, I finally gave in we went trailer shopping last Friday. We checked inside San Antonio, and a 12 ft trailer with gvw 2900 was between $1395 and $1695. We then decided to go to Lidel, which is just south of SA, and they had trailers for sale GVW 7,000, tandom axel, 12ft, 16ft, or 20ft for the same price $900. Now my husband cannot decide what size he wants. He really only wanted the 12 ft tandom trailer, but now he is thinking of getting the 16ft, what are you thoughts on this. Barbra,

Comments (20)

• haase
    14 years ago

I have no idea what to tell you. It all depends on:
    1. How often does he use the trailer? (you rented before.)
    2. What kind of items does he haul?
    3. Do you have the space to store a bigger one?
    4. How would he profit from a larger size?

Your husband surely has it all set in his mind and knows what he wants. For a few extra feet, and extra bucks, I would let him have his wish and make him happy.

Ingrid

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I told him you have two weeks to decide, I have been asking people at work, that have trailers, most seem to have the 12ft trailer, and they all said they love the 12 ft trailer but everyone once in awhile they are short about 2 ft, and which they had the 16 ft trailer, to haul 4 wheelers, hay, etc. We usually rent a trailer about once or twice a yr, to haul mulch to put on our yard, we pay $35 plus a $100 deposit. I do not understand why he is so heart set on getting one. The only silver lining is he told me that he would have it loaded with mulch at the coast, and I could use it all week, moving mulch after I retire. Mulch is only $5 a hugh scoop in Rockport. He said it would load it every weekend he came down. That sounds almost too good to be true. We plan to store it on the States property. There were suppost to put in a hwy, and then changed their minds. The land was taken from us and others when they were going to put in the hwy, but then changed their minds, and will not let us have it back. I was told the law had changed, that summer, and it use to be given back, but now the state owns it, and if they do not want it, they will give it to the county and if the county doesn't want it, it will be given the the city, and if the city did not want it we can buy it back at the current realestate value, and we would have to pay to have it surveyed. When they took it the only paid a few dollars for it, pure hwy robbery. They will never use it for anything. Barbra,

• haase
    14 years ago

For hauling mulch I would think that a 12 footer is enough.
    Who knows, maybe a bigger one would also cost more tax and license fee. And 2 feet of what sticking out? Beams or pipes or something? He can put a flag on that and let them stick out. 4 feet is quite a bit longer.
    It seems to me that hubby just wants another toy, right? LOL

Hugs
    Ingrid

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I think you hit the nail on the head. Just another toy. He needs to get something we need.... like daylilies! Barbra,

• chena
    14 years ago

Great deal!! I would go with the 16ft.. If you ever need you will have room for a vehicle on it..What does he drive?
    We pay $5 a year for tags on a 16' trailer..

Kylie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Ok stupid question but what's a utility trailer?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, where I work, there are 4 catagory of trailers, boat trailers, cattle trailers, travel trailers, and utility trailers. Utility trailers are used to haul atv's, motorcycles, brush, lawn mowers, hay, mulch, furniture, palets of grass, and dirt. You can rent these from u-haul or afforadable trailers by the day. Barbra,

• chena
    14 years ago

and Tractors!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Got it. Thanks

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kylie, he has a 2009 Chevrolet 2500 diesel truck, so he has the power to pull it. Ingrid, yes that is another one of his toys. Barbra,

• chena
    14 years ago

CONGRATS!! I would be excited..LOL

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I spoke with him this morning and he has decided to go with the 16ft, with ramps. Just in case he needs to take the lawn mower in for repairs. Its 38 degrees, feels like 25 here in San Antonio. Tomorrow and Sunday will be sunny, I can't wait. I would love to work in the yard, tomorrow, but it is so wet. Barbra,

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Barbra, funny how your DH went from 12 feet to 16, LOL! Actually, it's from not having one to potentially having a 16 foot trailer. Is your lawnmower a riding lawnmower? I have a regular lawnmower that fits in the back of my suv. I am sure you will find other uses for the trailer.

• haase
    14 years ago

I'm glad this one is settled. A man (or woman) wants, what a man wants, and if he/she can, he/she should get it and be happy.

Hugs
    Ingrid

• chena
    14 years ago

No way we could live without ours..LOL

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eloise, he has four Sears riding lawn mowers. One is zero tolerance, one is a mulching mower, he just bought the new red cadet, I will never understand why. The forth one was given to us by Jack, my husband will not part with it, I think it is an antique, but he keeps it going. They are all backed into the garage, like they are getting ready for take off. Barbra

• haase
    14 years ago

Your DH sounds like my son-in-law. He has a whole room of old computers, even stacked, and wants to keep them all. They are like pack-rats, these guys.

Did he get his trailer yet?

Ingrid

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We went and got it Friday, and then drove down to Rockport so that we could store it, but it was under water, so we had to store it in the drive. Everything is under water down there. I finally got to see what froze, and it doesn't look good. I had plumeria under blankets, and they froze. Every year for the past 10 years, I have dug them up and stored them in the garage, this is the first time I did not This is the coldest it has been down there for the past 20 years. I will need to start over in the spring. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I asked him, why he kept the 4th mower, he said it has cruise control, talk about spoiled. We went down yesterday, he cut our yard, that was not under water, and even cut the neighbors yards. If you could see his face, while he cuts the grass, it would speak volumes. Barbra,

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Barbra, four lawnmowers, LOL! Who is Jack? Anyway, your description of how hubby has his mowers in line facing out is funny! If he has one with cruise control, then definitely he is spoiled. I guess as long as he mows the lawn, and also you get to acquire the things you like, it works out! Sorry about your frozen plummies :-(

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus