Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathi_rogers

Brug babies dropping leaves

kathi_rogers
13 years ago

Several of my brug babies have grown branches and leaves but then suddenly drop the leaves and the branch dies back. What am I doing wrong?

Comments (3)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Kathi-
    I see no one has answered you yet, so I'm going to venture out and say:
    1. Un-pot your cuttings. Rinse off all soil to be able to observe them clearly. Look carefully at the stems, from tip all the way down to the bottom. Sometimes, they die back to a node, and then it just stops. I have made a clean cut just below the die back, and doused the cut with Listerine, and it dries the area beautifully, and seems to stop the die back action. I'm not sure why they start dying from the top down, that has happened to me too.

2. Are there any soft areas on the stem, indicating rot from over watering? Does the outside thin skin look transparent, like it could peel away? Cut away just above/below the rotten area. Rot will have a tell tale darker green soaked look. Let the cutting dry in a warm airy place for a day or two.

3.Or is the stem shriveled and dry, looking wrinkled, from not enough watering? These are the 2 main reasons a plant might die. If your plant has dried out, you can re- hydrate it (soak it) in luke warm water in a tall glass, with a few drops of Superthrive to revive it. I had to do this to an Amber Rose cutting last week. Watch the water and don't leave it in there too long, just a day or two. If it has roots, don't leave it in more than a day.

4. Has the cutting started rooting yet? Check them out to see if they are white and plump and healthy, or see if they are light brown and shriveled and dry. If they are dead, cut them back. Don't worry, they'll grow more! Place cutting in a Dixie cup (depending on size of cutting) with a hole in the bottom for drainage, with an inch of moist Orchid Moss in the bottom of pot. (Sometimes if we pot up a cutting in too large of a pot, the cutting will rot.) Hold the cutting, while adding Perlite up to 1 inch from the rim, then add more moist Orchid Moss. Water til it runs out the bottom. This will aid in keeping your cutting moist while it can root. Place in a warm area, sunshine helps! (If you have any:) Feel the top and water when it starts to go dry. Last of all- can you post a few close ups so we can take a look?
    I hope this gives you a few guidelines to go by, it's what I've learned by experience, anyway. Best wishes Kathi!
    kasha77

• kathi_rogers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathy! My Amber Rose did not make it along with Creamsikle. Oh well, I have plenty more. Congratulations on your new website!

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Kathi-
    Sorry to hear that:(
    Might be the variety. I lost those two this fall also.
    Thanks for the compliment!
    kasha77

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions