Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Started Seeds Yet?

karyn1
14 years ago

I've started a few trays of brug seeds over the past few weeks and am getting less then stellar germination rates. I'd say about 30% of the seeds are up. A few rotted but most just haven't done anything. I'll give them another month or two. I've had the odd brug seed germinate after a couple months but most are usually up within 2 - 3 weeks, tops. I really hope they eventually sprout because there were some really nice crosses.

Comments (35)

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

I started some a few weeks ago and had pretty good gernination on all but 1 cross. I need to get more started. I have way too many brug seeds.

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

Doing Datura seeds today! :) Hoping to fill in the other side of the driveway this year! We'll see!

Mike

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Started several trays of them here too, and want to start
    some more of different crosses.

Karen

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

I started a few brug seeds from Brenda on 2/8 and three has sprouted so far. I also sowed some paw paw, bhut kolokia, clitoria ternatea (1 sprouted) and some poppy seeds (sprouted), and hopefully this week will sow some brug seeds from Kylie.

• stanly
    14 years ago

I started some Datura seeds approx 3 weeks ago using a heated seed starting kit with 72 peat pellets in it with about 2 seeds per pellet, still nothing showing. I also have got some seeds I put in a margarin container which is lined with a wetted paper towel which I then put on a warm part of a 2 lite fluorescent fixture, still no sprouts. Couple of days ago I used some 9 cell plastic containers filled with vermiculite and put some seeds in that and then have them in another heated seed starting kit. I'm getting a little worried because these are last years seeds so they should be fresh. Anyone have any suggestions. I know they take a long time to germinate so maybe nothing to worry about yet. Stan

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some daturas are notoriously picky when started inside and do much better with direct sowing. Unfortunately many of the fancy varieties don't have a long enough growing season if started outside. I don't use bottom heat when starting dats inside or if I do it's very minimal like on top of a light fixture. I've had dat seeds sprout a couple months after sowing so don't toss them. I started a few triple yellow and Black Currant Swirl seeds a couple weeks ago and haven't seen anything yet. I'll start more in a cold frame in a couple weeks and the rest will be directly sown in May but my growing season is much longer then yours. If you can make a cold frame of sorts that might be your best bet. They are easy to make using wood and heavy gauge plastic or even an inverted glass aquarium. Good luck.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I started some in December. I started tomatoes in Feb so have tons of those to repot now lol so can't start any more brugs till I get the maters moved out. I really need to start some Datura since I didn't keep any over the winter this year or I won't have any this summer.
    ~SJN

• chena
    14 years ago

I am having the same issues with seed germination being very erratic.I only started have of most of them. I think I will wait till it warms up a bit more to start the rest..I can't wait to get this stuff out of the house and garage..

• stanly
    14 years ago

Karyn1 the seeds from my Datura are just the plain single white Datura because I find I have even less luck with the double. I'm trying to cover all my bases to try and get some to grow. My brother in law bought some of these Datura last year and he paid $13.00 Canadian eh? each and he gave me about 10 seed pods that matured on the plant to the point of opening so I know the seed is fresh. Last year I was in Hawaii for a couple of weeks and had a chance to see some Brugs that were absolutely amazing, big trees, gorgeous but can't grow them here. Stan

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

I started my seeds late, for me, and they took about 10 days to sprout. I had amazing germination, but most of these are my own seeds, and were fresh- I didn't peel a one!

{{gwi:457576}}

Above shows how I start mine, in sterilized soil, inside a gallon ziplock. The soil was just damp, and the bag created a greenhouse around the pot. No bugs, and no damping off.

Here are the little guys (below) just the other day at 2 weeks. Some are 4" tall. The light are right above them, close. I gave them their first 1/2 strength fertilizer, which I don't normally do at this age but because I'm so late this year, and they will be going outside in as little as 3-4 weeks for some fresh air, they will not get too big before they go out.
    Please don't laugh at my labels- yes, they are 4" tall and already have their big boy labels around their skinny litte stems- okey, so, I'm lazy ...... but it works!

{{gwi:457578}}

Well, that's all the seedling photos for this year, til they start blooming!! LOL!!!

~Brenda

• chena
    14 years ago

TOO Funny Brenda!! I bet they will grow into those labels in no time..I have yet to start the ones you sent.. TY BTW!!!
    Everything looks like they are happy and healthy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mow about 3/4 of those down and you know what my trays look like. lol Your seedlings look great. I didn't start any fresh seed, all were dry but even then I usually have much better germination. Many of the seeds I planted were from Europe and I was really looking forward to seeing what they'd look like : ( I still have some more and will plant those in a month or two.

• chena
    14 years ago

The poor germination I have had are on the German ones as well.. We will see with the next batch..

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Well, I also got poor germination on German seeds.
    That was two years ago and I've decided not to get any more from there, especially with the great choices we have now- look at all the imports!

Karyn, better luck on your next batches. I wish I knew what would make them sprout. I have some 2008 seeds I would love to start more of but they did not do well last year when I tried them.

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Hi Brenda Thanks for the seeds I received them Monday. Now I am wondering do I start them right away? or plant them acording to the almanac? you know the one that tells you the best days to start seeds flowers seed beds crop and so on. Thanks Marcie

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Wow Brenda, you start them young in lining up like soldiers, LOL! I remember that one pix you posted where all your brugs were lined up outside. Very impressive!

• figara
    14 years ago

I started a few seeds at the beginning of february and some germinated, other did not. Now I am in Boston at my sister and I am worried about them. I'll be gone till March 16th . When I come back i'll see how many survived.

Brenda what a nice picture you have.

pat

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Glad to hear you got your seeds, Marcie- seems like I sent them quite some time ago. Perhaps not, I'm crazy busy this tme of year, and my not-so-great memory is shot even further. Good luck with them.

Pat- how is your sister doing?
    And I have a whole bunch of seeds to send you. Some of my more recently harvested seeds are not germinating but I think I'm just impatient, and it has not been enough time.
    Thanks for the compliments, Eloise- I have been growing brug seedlings like this for 4 years and so far, so good!

• stanly
    14 years ago

Yahoo! I came home yesterday after work and checked on the seedlings and I now have two that are startin to emerge from their little peat pellet, so it's a start. I will be transplanting the seedlings in separate pots tonite. Stan

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stan I was surprised to see that one of my triple yellow seeds sprouted overnight. It's one of the ones I have in rockwool. The ones in soil haven't popped yet. Good luck with yours.

• sekhment
    14 years ago

I started mine to, fun fun.
    I have excellent progress with
    Morgensonne x GOLFITO( hyb. Fraught)
    Rosamond x Rachel (hyb. Morales
    I do have some german one planted and stil on there way I cant seem to stay away from ebay lol
    For my german ones they are doing okay I wouldnÂt say grate yet but, I have high hopes for them lol
    My a.summertime x color point is doing good
    And so is my berfeuer x aurea (volker)

• akat71
    14 years ago

I started some too! Got 2 MG's and 5 Hibiscus up. Just checked on the brugs and it looks like 2 are getting ready to sprout. My question is, do I take the brugs out of the jiffy greenhouse for air after they sprout or leave them in it.
    Thanks
    Kitty

• chena
    14 years ago

Kitty once they sprout you can take them out..
    Congrats everyone.. Looks like there should be lots of PIC"S!!! before long!! Lets see your progress..

Kylie

• hong2007
    14 years ago

I have some brug seeds from Karyn couple year ago, but never plan them. Now I want to plan them. Would someone show me how to start them? Please :)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what the viability will be but it's worth a shot. First soak the seeds in water overnight then carefully peel off the corky seed covering. You don't have to get every little bit off. Press the seed into lightly moistened soil and wait. With older seed germination might be slower. You can cover the pot with plastic but make sure the soil doesn't get soggy. I don't use a seed mat. A comfortable room temp should be fine. You could even keep them outside before long in your zone. I transplant the seedlings into individual pots once they have a couple pair of true leaves. Good luck.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Well now Chena got me back into trying to grow by seeds again. Last time, a couple years back, I was crushed by loosing all my brugs to damping off. So I appreciate all the tips again. This time they'll be baggied up and around them until they get that second set of leaves. Is that when one can feel safe that the threat of damping off has passed.

Cassie - I also got stuck on eBay and I know exactly where you were bidding with. I managed to secure some Langenbuscher X BergFeuer which SOMEBODY raised the price on me...lol They have more back up now.

This is probably the cheapest way a canadian is going to get their hands on doubles, let alone the rare ones.

I like the summertime blooms of theirs to but I left them alone wanting the ones I got more so. I figured the bigger the blooms the less blooms you'd get and I like lots of blooms...though the summertime are exotic looking...yumm

They have a good deal on Super Pink and Apricot seeds. I've only heard this but they say the Super Pink will bloom as the Inca Sun does, without the Y...but I'm getting these seeds from the original place of origin and don't know if the seller who told me of this characteristic knows for sure that this is commom with all Super Pink. I expect to find out...lol

- Sandy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

We started some seeds for various plants this year in an old aquarium and I'm getting good germination. No brugs, but we'll have lots of tomatoes and peppers this year.

Karyn, I have turtlehead and toad lily sprouts!

Kylie, the JMG seeds that you gave me are sprouted and getting tall! I'm anxious to move stuff outside!

Siam, so far from you, I have seedlings from the yellow wildflower that grows in Trinidad and Tobago.

Pam

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Hey there, new to this forum, trying to get some info about germinating brug seeds, and this thread has been helpful.

In regard to damping off, I have "heard" that misting with a dilute Chamomile tea solution is helpful. Just wondered if anyone had tried that, and if so, what your results were.

Thank you,

Susan

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

I've heard that chamomile trick to. My daughter's going to be missing some of her tea bags.

I've also heard using sand on the top of the soil would work to. I have an assortment of those tiny colored sand crystals people use in art and I'm going to use that. As there are different colors I can put a certain color in or on specific seedlings' soil and will always know which ones they are. Just have to sterilize them.

Any other advice or reminders?

- Sandy

• bluegrassinpj22
    14 years ago

Hi there!

The trumpet plant is the 1st plant I was really attached to. I have yellow now and have had white before but never any other color. Does anyone have any seeds in any other color I could try? I would love to see purple or pinks. Anything! I just adore this flower.

Thank you! =)

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Sandy, I did the sand thing a couple of times. The problem is that the gnats still get in either through the bottom of the pot or when you water and the sand moves.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Brenda - Do you sterilize your own soil for seedstarting?

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Rock Oak, I sterilize seed starting soil, and the soil for the first pot up- I start all one cross in one pot, and separate seedlings as soon as they sprout, because they form roots really fast and can tangle quickly with the other sprouts. I count the seeds so I know if they have all sprouted- can take awhile to sprout.
    I never have damping off, altho a few are "beheaded" from the seed covering not coming off. Very few, tho.
    The second up-pot is into quarts and they are on their own in regular potting soil, no more sterilizing from this point onward.

• stanly
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. Someone was asking about Chamomille Tea to use for damping off. There is a gardening talk show I listen to every Sunday and on the talk show hosts webesite he gave a recipe for controlling damping off. It says 1 chamomile tea bag, 4 cups boiling water. Let sit 24 hours to ensure a strong brew at roon temperature. Pour tea into a "mister" and spray seedlings when they appear. Continue daily until they have developed their second set of leaves. Stan

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Thanks Brenda. I met princealbert over the weekend and he generously shared some Datura seeds with me. I've not worked with seed a lot, but will give these a try so I'm doing some research first.

Thanks pa, enjoyed meeting both of you and I'll keep you posted on these seeds.

I have some chamomile tea and I'm allergic to it so the seedlings will be a great way to use it up.