Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

New to this forum and nervous to start brugs!

keriann_lakegeneva
14 years ago

Hi! I am new to this forum but have been perusing the GW for YEARS!.

You guys are great, thank you for all of the wonderful posts and advice.

I am usually over in the seeding and WI forums but this year I want to grow my very own Brugmansia.

I have read a lot about starting them from seed and I am pretty confident I will be able to achieve my goal. I am a little nervous about over wintering it in my basement but I will try:

Cutting it back

Storing it in a dark basement around 55 degrees

And giving it about 16 oz of water a month.

Does this sound like it will work?

Also can the seeds go right from ripe pod to soil?

I would love you advice!

Ohhh.. one more thing. Our summers up here stay around 80-90 degrees. Should I keep my brug in the sun? or move it to morning sun with dapple afternoon shade?

Thank you for any advice

Happy Gardening.

Keriann~

Comments (9)

• diggy500
    14 years ago

hi Keriann
    glad you're getting ready to take the plunge...
    be warned...they are very addictive...lol..
    if i could make a small suggestion...
    i would start with a cutting and not seeds...
    just my little tip for you..the cuttings are alot
    easier to grow and you will get blooms faster...
    i let my plants tell me what they like....
    i go by how their leaves are hanging as to the sun and watering needs...
    i think you've done your homework and will do a great job growing them...
    good luck and cheers
    diggy

• chena
    14 years ago

Sounds like you have done your homework..LOL
    Nice Job and Welcome glad to have you here..If the seeds are fresh peeling the cork is really not necessary but if they are dried it is my preference to do so..here is a link for you that has some amazing info also..I look forward to seeing you around!!

Kylie

Here is a link that might be useful: BGI~Starting Seeds

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Guys!

Diggy: where can I get cuttings from?

I have never seen anyone up here with a brug. only Dantura that they say is a brug. arggg.. that makes me crazy!

Keriann~

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay

I found valleygrow.com sells cuttings but not really the kinds I want to start.

I hate to be picky, but I want an unusual one either Red Sanquinea or one with a deep color with tendrils.... only because I want it give it my all and have a brug with great impact. I have a few daturas and the are lovely so I want a differnt color and shape then the light pastels or white brugs out there.

I am nervous about buying a plant though. Valleygrow only sells 2.5" pots or gallon pots of the kind I like. I am not sure how it would like the travel over here and I would prefer starting something myself.

Does anyone have cuttings from one of those plants?

I would love to work something out.

Keriann~

• chena
    14 years ago

I looked at your home page.. Glad to see you finally decided to join GW! I also read that you have some Angels Trumpets starting to show signs of life.. What do you already have??

I think you will be hard pressed to find a Sang and they are a bit tricky to start from cuttings.. There are several very nice places to purchase Brugs Country Garden, BGI has their Classifieds with several Beauties listed now.. I am sure there will be more come Spring.. It is still too cold to be shipping cuttings or plants.. At least here in Texas.. GL!!

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am growing black current swirl from seed this year... about 10 of them! All of my gardens are purple, blue and white only.

Then I throw in some 'show stoppers.' Like a large hanging pot of bright pink begonias...they get almost 3 feet around and 5 feet long.. they are wonderful.

And this year I am determined to have a sang. brugmansia steal the show!

I went to Brugs Country Garden and I do really like 'Dola', that is the color and type of flower that interests me the most.

I think your seeds will please me as well, do you have any pictures of the parent plants or what you think they will look like? Do you think they will bloom this year for me?

Thanks for the help!

Keriann~

• chena
    14 years ago

You told me you got Sang seed from a friend and you didn't want any seed .Everything I have is spoken for ..

Kylie

This is Kaitlyn,Painted Lady and Dola.. Mountain Magic is another it sounds like you may like..
    {{gwi:452516}}

{{gwi:457839}}

{{gwi:457841}}

{{gwi:457843}}

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Sangs are easy to start from seed but dsifficult to get to bloom uless you are in a climate similar to the SF Bay or NW costal areas. The are also much slower then daturas to reach blooming size. Most of us treat daturas as annuals.

There are no other red brugs besides the sanguinea and the deep pinks are the most desireable and newer varieties. They will likely be more difficult to find thru trades. A good medium pink that's probably easily attainable is Cherub which has been around for a long time. It's also a very easy variety to grow. Kylie mentioned some good places to look and you can try Ebay as well. If you find something that you want on Ebay you might want to ask here about the seller. There's some sellers with good feedback that really aren't reliable. Reason being that it's takes a while for a brug to bloom and then you find out it's not the variety you thought you were getting. By then it's too late to leave feedback.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kylie-yes, you are correct..sorry for the mix-up..I am still receiving seeds from another member along with my Sang seeds

Thank you for the pictures! I can get a cutting of Dola from Brugs Country Garden this spring.

I love Magic Moutain!

I think I am going to start a few seeds inside including the Sang and one other one that I am getting from a fellow member.

I will also get a cutting in the spring from one of the sites you listed above.

I think this way I will enjoy growing from seed, but also see blooms from my cutting this year yet-to keep my enthusiasm going!

Thanks for the help!

Keriann~

Sponsored