Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Solanum wrightii.....Brugmansia cousin

Just sent for two seed packets for the "Giant Potato Tree". Looking at all the photos of this plant, it seems to be a very nice "tree" to grow in a large container as a specimen, or maybe, on a patio. All the sites say that this tree's flowers are beautiful, the leaves look exotic,...yadah, yadah, yadah....

Something HAS to be wrong with this plant, or it would be all over garden centers, nurseries, Home Depot (dying from neglect)...and other places that specialize or sell tropical-looking plants. It should be as common as hibiscus trees. But, I have never seen this plant offered in any garden center. WHY?????

I have never seen this plant...and, I'm only guessing....but is this a "insect-magnet" type plant that attracts white-flies, spider mites, aphids, etc? Is this one of those plants that gets eaten alive by bugs, and that constantly needs to be sprayed with insecticides?

I would really like to start some seeds, grow this plant outside in the warmer months, then overwinter it indoors, like a Brugmansia hybrid. Can I grow this plant in the same way, or, does it require some different culture. Is it a short-lived plant? Will it make a respectable "patio-tree"?...and, does it need to have a dormant period?

Give me some growing suggestions, please...and your opinions about this plant. All the sites referring to this plant have very little about growing this plant in containers.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I have a variegated blue potato bush and a white flowered potato vine but have never seen the giant. I keep mine growing year round, outside during the warm months and in the greenhouse over the winter. They don't do great over the winter but recover nicely once back outside. I don't remember which solanums they are but my blue potato bush is small, only a couple feet tall. The pics online of the Solanum wrightii are quite impressive. Yes, they are insect magnets, especially aphids and white flies while in the greenhouse. I don't have any problems outside. I don't use insecticides, just pick & squish and a good spray with a hose.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since the original posting, I found that these plants, under the right conditions, will become a small tree, with a 6"-8" trunk.

One grower states that the Giant Potato Tree has spiny-thorns on stems and leaves, and the plant is covered in velvety hairs than can cause itching. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? If this is true, plus the insect-magnet factor, now I know why they are not very popular, and not offered very often. Logee's has them for sale this season.. I've also read that they are very easy from seed, and will flower within the year from sowing...like a eggplant-on-steroids! : )

I have to say that these plants are not bad looking, and the leaves, though coarse, remind me of an Oak. Maybe the merits will outweigh the demerits...and the flowers are beautiful and scented.

I'll give it a try, and toss it if I hate it.

Kick in with some cultural info. for this plant. How do I grow this plant well?

BronxFigs

Original Author
    12 years ago

I just found more information on a web-site with great information. Search: jaycjayc.com "Solanum macranthum" for great photos and extensive information.

I still like some cultural suggestion for this plant in containers, especially growing mediums, and winter care.

Frank

• chena
    12 years ago

I read it can get 15' tall and just as wide.. 0_0..
    BUT it is pretty!

Kylie

Original Author
    12 years ago

My seed source notified me a few minutes ago by e-mail. No seeds available, and will not restock.

So, now I need the seeds for this plant. Anyone have some seeds to sell me? I now need a source, commercial/private. I don't want a plant, just the seeds. Please!

Contact me: fdvpiano@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Frank

Original Author
    12 years ago

Found another source for seeds, but they have to be imported. No sources found, that I discovered, in the US for seeds! Is this possible? That's like saying that you can't find seeds for tomatoes!

So, now that the seeds are in the mail, what's the best way to germinate these seeds? Soak, then sow in peat?... coconut coir?....bottom heat?

I need some suggestions.

Thanks,

Frank

• karyn1
    12 years ago

That's not unusual. I've had to place orders from outside the US for seeds that I want a number of times.

I would just soak them in water overnight and plant in a high quality, well draining potting mix and use bottom heat. Most of the solanums I've grown germinate without much fuss. Good luck with them.

Original Author
    12 years ago

karyn1....

Thanks for the sowing tips. I will do what you say, and hopefully, by this summer, I will have a forest of "Giant Potato Trees" blooming/growing on my back deck.

Now where can I buy a machete? : )

Frank

Original Author
    11 years ago

U P D A T E :

Gave up on starting plant from seeds. They never germinated, so I ordered this plant from a T-Tropicals nursery. The tree will be delivered today.

What kind of mix should I use for growing in a 15 gallon container. This plant will have to come indoors when cooler weather starts in the Fall, 2012. It will be outside, on my back deck, growing in full-sun until moved inside, then, it will be grown right up against glass doors that face south.

I was thinking of using the quick-draining mix of equal parts of Pine Bark Fines, Turface-MVP, and Aquarium grit, then using diluted fertilizers for nutrition with each watering.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Frank

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio